Henri Cartier-Bresson Dies at 95-Another Great One Passes

Old August 4th 04, 11:57 PM
George Kerby

Default Henri Cartier-Bresson Dies at 95-Another Great One Passes

I noticed this in today's Online Wall Street Journal
Doubtful the majority of the current crop posting here do not know of this
great photographer. Sad.
It's gotten so bad in here that I hardly ever bother anymore. But for those
who might care, here it is:

* * *

Henri Cartier-Bresson Dies at 95
The incomparable Henri Cartier-Bresson, who made a profound mark in the
world of photography with his literate approach to capturing the "decisive
moment," has died in France at the age of 95. Trained early on as a painter,
Mr. Cartier-Bresson's passion for photography was awakened when, at the age
of 22, he obtained his first 35mm Leica and began "prowl[ing] the streets
all day, feeling very strung-up and ready to pounce, determined to trap
life, to preserve life in the act of living." Throughout those early days
Mr. Cartier-Bresson molded his distinctive style, and many critics have
pointed to his 1932 "Behind the Gare Saint-Lazare,'' which depicts a man
leaping over a puddle, frozen in midair, as his quintessential piece. After
serving with the French Army in World War II (he was captured and imprisoned
by the Nazis for nearly three years but would eventually escape), he
co-founded the Magnum Picture Agency, traveling the world as a
photojournalist. His legend grew steadily, with his images appearing in
countless magazines including Harper's Bazaar, Life, and Vogue. He was the
first photographer to have a dedicated exhibit in the Louvre. And whether
embracing Mr. Cartier-Bresson's work or defining themselves against it,
generations of photographers, from Diane Arbus to Walker Evans to Andreas
Gursky, would come to struggle fruitfully with his enduring influence.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old August 5th 04, 12:07 AM
dwight

"George Kerby" wrote in message
I noticed this in today's Online Wall Street Journal
Doubtful the majority of the current crop posting here do not know of this
great photographer. Sad.

http://www.afterimagegallery.com/bresson.htm for a little taste.

dwight

Old August 5th 04, 12:30 AM
david smith

THE best photographer that ever lived

He inspired and influenced my work more than anyone.

Old August 5th 04, 12:30 AM
david smith

Old August 5th 04, 12:35 AM
Roland Karlsson

George Kerby wrote in
:

I noticed this in today's Online Wall Street Journal
Doubtful the majority of the current crop posting here do not know of
this great photographer. Sad.

Oh ... I do think most of us know about Cartier-Bresson. Brilliant
photographer. Very simple pictures using very simple equipment,
a Leica with 50 mm lens I think. Among those pictures, I like the
man jumping over the water the best. He will hit the water in 20 ms.
Not only that - the composition is also extremely nice. He is just
the right distance from the edge of the picture - moving out.
Extremely good feel for motion. The picknick on the banks of Marnes
is a classic one - and the two strange gentlemens that are peeking
through the canvas - what are they doing? Sports? Circus? Constructions?
Ladies swimming area? An absurd picture! Food for your imagination.

It's gotten so bad in here that I hardly ever bother anymore.

Whining are we? Hardly becoming you know

But for those who might care, here it is:

Yes - we do care. The world (and this forum) is a better place
than you think.

He became 95 years ... hmm ... a respectable age.

/Roland

Old August 5th 04, 03:04 AM
Steve Hix

In article ,
George Kerby wrote:

I noticed this in today's Online Wall Street Journal
Doubtful the majority of the current crop posting here do not know of this
great photographer. Sad.
It's gotten so bad in here that I hardly ever bother anymore. But for those
who might care, here it is:

* * *

Henri Cartier-Bresson Dies at 95

I thought he'd passed on 25 years ago.

Still look through a couple collections of his work here in my library.

Old August 5th 04, 10:32 PM
Boris Harss

Hi!

That guy mostly used one single focal lenghts (50mm) and one camera
body. Goes to show what you really need, and how much of the quality of
the result is behind the viewfinder and how much is high-tech stuff.

B.