Which 120/220 film holder I need for Nikon Super Coolscan 9000EDscanner?

Old June 9th 04, 07:05 PM
Ronald Shu

Default Which 120/220 film holder I need for Nikon Super Coolscan 9000EDscanner?

I am going to order a Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED film scanner for my
CONTAX 645 AF camera gear. There are three 120/220 film holders for
Nikon 9000 ED scanner, but I am not sure which one I need to order:
(1) FH-869M: it comes with the scanner. My reading tells me that it is a
piece of junk or a little better than that because it can never hold
120/220 film flat.
(2) FH-869G: strip 120/220 film holder with glass cover. It is sold as
accessory ($240 at B&H).
(3) FH-869GR: Film rotating holder with glass cover. It is sold as
accessory ($340 at B&H).
So, I have to pick one from film holder (2) or (3), but it is a hard
decision to make because no helpful info could be found on B&H or
Adorama web sites (what is 'film rotating holder' all about? the
difference between FH-869G and FH-869GR?). I think, there are many
readers of REC.Photo groups who owne Nikon 9000 Ed film scanner and can
help me out. I will much appreciate if you can tell me your
recommendation and what is the difference between FH-869G and FH-869GR.
Thank you in advance.
P.S. Nikon probably already know that FH-869M is a piece of junk,
but they still want to sell their workable film holders as separate
accessory charging for $240 and $340. What a honest business practice!

Ronald

Old June 9th 04, 08:35 PM
Bill Hilton

Default Which 120/220 film holder I need for Nikon Super Coolscan 9000ED

From: Ronald Shu

I am going to order a Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED film scanner for my
CONTAX 645 AF camera gear. There are three 120/220 film holders for
Nikon 9000 ED scanner, but I am not sure which one I need to order:
(1) FH-869M: it comes with the scanner. My reading tells me that it is a
piece of junk or a little better than that because it can never hold
120/220 film flat.

I use this holder with my Nikon 8000 and for most 645 and 6x7 films it works
fine. Only problem I have is with 220 film when the frame I want to scan is
mid-way on the roll where the film was wrapped around the developer's spool, so
I just put the film between a couple of books to flatten it some.

(2) FH-869G: strip 120/220 film holder with glass cover. It is sold as
accessory ($240 at B&H).

Some people like these, others say they have problems with Newton rings and
don't like them at all.

P.S. Nikon probably already know that FH-869M is a piece of junk,
but they still want to sell their workable film holders as separate
accessory charging for $240 and $340. What a honest business practice!

The intelligent thing to do is to try the one that ships with the scanner first
before making silly accusations based on something you read on the internet.
I'd guess 80-90% of the users are happy with the basic strip holder. There's a
trick to it involving using the slider to pull the films flat. Try it and if
you still don't like it get one of the others.

Bill
Old June 10th 04, 05:13 AM
bill frogg

So far, I've had absolutely no problem with the included 120 fillm
holder not holding flat. Just be sure you read and follow the
instructions. It is also useful to read and understand the limitations
of the autofocus feature of the software. The 9000 ED is a fine piece
of equipment and great to work with. billfrogg

Old June 10th 04, 06:43 AM
JR

For 645, the supplied holder may work for you. For 6x7 and 6x9, the
glass holder is recommended.

JR

Old June 11th 04, 12:17 AM
Ronald Shu

How does the rotating feature work and when it is needed? Would you
please to share your thoughts?

Old June 12th 04, 12:41 AM
Warren

I'm interested in the one from Aztek, which supposedly gives a sharper image:
http://www.aztek.com/
Has anyone used this?

Warren

Old June 12th 04, 09:19 PM
Gordon Moat

Warren wrote:

I'm interested in the one from Aztek, which supposedly gives a sharper image:
http://www.aztek.com/
Has anyone used this?

Warren

I have used an Aztek drum scanner in the past. I have never used their flat
scanners. Anyway, it takes some knowledge, time, and experience to get the best
out of their drum scanners. I rarely have the need to use drum scans much
anymore, so when I need them I usually have a few places that can do them for
me.

If you have the volume of work, and want to spend the time to learn the
equipment, then I think you should be very pleased with the results. The costs
are very high, though sometimes there are some used bargains available.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com
http://www.agstudiopro.com Coming Soon!

Old June 13th 04, 10:35 PM
WKato

Gordon, sorry I wasn't clearer about what I was asking a question about. Aztek
has a Kami fluid attachment that they sell for the Nikon 8000 (and I think
9000). The example shows that you can get sharper edge resolution out of the
Nikon when you use their wet fluid mounting system. http://www.aztek.com/

Warren