Rolleiflex F2.8 and optically flat glass

Old December 24th 04, 01:37 AM
Dan

Default Rolleiflex F2.8 and optically flat glass

Reading the manual for the F2.8, it mentions an optional optically flat
glass(beveled) that can be inserted on the existing pressure plate to
make it especially flat for increased sharpness. Is anyone familiar
with this and does it really make that much of a differance? I have
three Rollei books and they all devote a small paragraph to this piece
which makes me think it is mostly a useless item, however Rollei did
put a small pocket in their camera case to carry this item around.
Because it is a thin piece of glass I wonder too if they all broke
making the user just give up altogether in using it. If I am wrong
about this and it is deemed to be a worthwhile item, does anyone know
where to get one?

Old December 24th 04, 05:31 AM
LR Kalajainen

Dan,

I saw one once in a Tele-Rollei, where it seems to me, that it might
have some effect, since telephotos have much less depth of field than
normal focal-length lenses. But I used the Rollei 2.8 for some years
and never noticed any lack of sharpness without the glass. Admittedly,
I rarely shot with it wide open--- usually stopped down at least two
stops or more, but I'm very pleased with the 11X14's I made with it.

Larry

Old December 24th 04, 08:45 AM
Stacey

LR Kalajainen wrote:

Dan,

I saw one once in a Tele-Rollei, where it seems to me, that it might
have some effect, since telephotos have much less depth of field than
normal focal-length lenses.

But a tele has more depth of focus so a flat film plane isn't a critical as
on a normal or a wide angle lens.

I do agree this glass plate will probably cause more problems than it will
fix.

--

Stacey

Old December 24th 04, 08:57 AM
Paul Friday

In message .com, Dan
writes
Because it is a thin piece of glass I wonder too if they all broke
making the user just give up altogether in using it.

I would guess that most folks gave up using the glass because it was
impossible to keep it clean enough.
--
----------------------------
Paul Friday

Old December 24th 04, 02:00 PM
LR Kalajainen

I'd worry more about dust on the glass plate than on any improvement in
sharpness it might add.

Old December 24th 04, 02:40 PM
Stefano Bramato

Never seen this glass plate for the back.
But I have two Rolleiflex and I don't miss the glass plate.
There's enough sharpness the same.
For sharpness, IMO it's better to have an accurate focusing knob and a hood clear.

ciaO!!

--
ed io imparo...