Advice please, which film to use...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 13th 04, 05:16 AM
Graham Fountain

Default Advice please, which film to use...

Haven't been keeping track of my calendar - this coming weekend is our
annual carnival and I am a little unprepared for it. I doubt I'll have a
chance to get out to buy more film before then, so what I have sitting in my
camera bag will have to be it. I want to get some nice nighttime motion
shots of the carny rides, fireworks, maybe the odd photo of the missus and
the kid enjoying themselves, and possibly the odd shot of the carny workers
(from past experience most are so ugly they should make interesting photos).
My film choices (and my thoughts) a
* currently half a roll of Fujichrome Sensia 100 slide film in one camera
body - since this is in the camera now I will be using it - I don't know how
well it will handle things like fireworks though - too slow? I suspect it
should be good for motion shots of the rides.
*A few rolls of Kodak Max and Fuji superia 100 colour negative film. - I
have heaps of this, but like the slide film, I wonder if it will be too
slow.
* A roll of Kodak Max 800 ISO colour negative film - In line with wondering
if the 100 would be too slow, I wonder if the 800 would be too fast - would
it be too quick to get the nice blurred shots of the rides etc. But then
again, it might be able to freeze some of the motion which would give an
alternative aspect. I think this might be the best option for photos of my
family though, and hopefully it will give a nice grainy feel.
*A roll of Kodak P3200 B&W film - Probably way too fast for motion blur
shots, and being B&W it will be essentially useless for fireworks shots, but
could give some very nice portrait results.
* A few rolls of Fuji Neopan 100 B&W film - I think this one will be nearly
useless - the fireworks or carny rides in B&W will lose impact, and it will
be too slow for portraits.
Any comments? will the 800 be too quick or the 100 be too slow? My thoughts
are to load the spare body with 800 colour film, and when I use the rest of
the slide film I currently have loaded, load that camera with 100 colour
film. I am tempted to use the Kodak P3200 though - I think it could give
some very interesting results.
Bearing in mind that I will primarily be there with my family, so I won't be
sitting with the camera taking shot after shot after shot, so I don't expect
to be able to experiment with all the film types (as much as I'd like to).