Teleconverters

Old May 15th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Teleconverters

'd like to buy a 1.4X telextender for a Canon
telephoto lens. My choice comes down to the
Canon 1.4X or the Kenko 1.4X.

Any reason to buy the more expensive Canon other
than brand name?

----- Paul J. Gans
Old May 15th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Paul J Gans" wrote in message
'd like to buy a 1.4X telextender for a Canon
telephoto lens. My choice comes down to the
Canon 1.4X or the Kenko 1.4X.

Any reason to buy the more expensive Canon other
than brand name?

Canon extenders will only work a limited number of Canon lenses (i.e. most
"L" telephoto and telephoto zoom lenses). I think the 3rd party ones will
work with more, and I've heard you can stack them. I never used a 3rd party
extender but I've been tempted from what I've read.

Old May 16th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 15 May 2006 17:46:57 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans wrote:

'd like to buy a 1.4X telextender for a Canon
telephoto lens. My choice comes down to the
Canon 1.4X or the Kenko 1.4X.

Any reason to buy the more expensive Canon other
than brand name?

It makes it easier to insure that you'll get a good adapter lens,
based on my assumption that Canon's adapter lenses are like those
from Fuji and Olympus, all relatively high quality. With brands
such as Kenko and Raynox it's possible to get lenses just as good
(and save some money in the process), but they also make cheaper
lines of adapter lenses that are quite inferior. I found this
Raynox link a year ago, and while it's for a Fuji camera, it should
allow you to backtrack and find information tables for Canon
cameras. Also quoted is an example of the lens info. provided at
that web site. The same lenses might in some cases be usable on
Canon, Fuji and other cameras, but the info. pages for specific
camera & lens combinations are useful in that they show the adapter
tubes that might be needed.

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/s5600/index.htm

DCR-2020PRO 2.2X High Definition
Super Telephoto Conversion Lens

DCR-2020PRO lens extends the focal length of FUJIFILM FinePix
S5200/S5600 camera zoom lens to over 830mm Super telephoto !
(35mm film equivalent) It's a completely new high definition lens made
of the high index optical lens with a 2-group/4-element formula.
260 lines/mm resolution power at center (MTF30%)

Model RA6255 Raynox adapter ring for 55mm filter size is required for
use with the DCR-2020PRO + FinePix S5200/S5600 camera.

Magnification : Nominal 2.2X Actual 2.2X / Diagonal, 2.2X / Horizontal
Minimum focusing distance : 9m/4m in macro mode
Zoom capability : F=63mm-F=45mm
Lens construction : 2G/4E Optical coated glass elements
Mounting threads : 62mm
Front filter size : 82mm
Size/Weight : 123 x 85mm/275g.(9.7oz)
RA6255 adapter ring is Not Included.
RA6258 and RA6252 adapter rings are Included.
. . .

DCR-1540PRO 1.54X
High Definition Telephoto Conversion Lens

DCR-1540PRO lens extends the focal length of FUJIFILM FinePix
S5200/S5600 camera lens to 585mm telephoto ! (35mm film equivalent)
It's a completely new high definition lens made of the high index optical
lens with a 2-group/4-element formula.
340 lines/mm resolution power at center (MTF30%)

Magnification : Nominal 1.54X Actual 1.54X / Diagonal, 1.54X / Horizontal
Minimum focusing distance : 3.5m
Zoom capability : F=63mm-F=39mm
Lens construction : 2G/4E Optical coated glass elements
Mounting threads : 52mm
Front filter size : 67mm
Size/Weight : 71 x 67mm/240g
RA5255 adapter ring is Not Included. ( RT5249 for S5000 )
RA5852 adapter ring is Not Included.
. . .

Old May 16th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

This old Bob wrote:

"Paul J Gans" wrote in message
'd like to buy a 1.4X telextender for a Canon
telephoto lens. My choice comes down to the
Canon 1.4X or the Kenko 1.4X.

Any reason to buy the more expensive Canon other
than brand name?

Canon extenders will only work a limited number of Canon lenses (i.e. most
"L" telephoto and telephoto zoom lenses). I think the 3rd party ones will
work with more, and I've heard you can stack them. I never used a 3rd party
extender but I've been tempted from what I've read.

Thanks. That helps.

---- Paul J. Gans