Converting JPEG to TIFF...keep EXIF data?

Old July 26th 04, 12:30 PM
Paul Crowder

Default Converting JPEG to TIFF...keep EXIF data?

I've been looking for a program that can batch convert the JPEG files from
my Nikon D70 to TIFF files for lossless storage. The problem I've had with
the programs so far (such as IrfanView) is that when converting to TIFF, all
the EXIF data that existed in the JPEG is lost. Are there any (preferably
freeware) programs out there that will maintain the EXIF information when
doing a batch convert?

Paul

Old July 26th 04, 01:58 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Paul
Crowder writes
I've been looking for a program that can batch convert the JPEG files from
my Nikon D70 to TIFF files for lossless storage. The problem I've had with
the programs so far (such as IrfanView) is that when converting to TIFF, all
the EXIF data that existed in the JPEG is lost. Are there any (preferably
freeware) programs out there that will maintain the EXIF information when
doing a batch convert?

Why on Earth do you want to do this? It makes sense to convert JPEG
files to TIFF, PNG or other lossless format for work in progress. But
you gain nothing at all and waste a lot of space by batch converting
JPEG files into TIFF files.

The only thing that happens is that you set in concrete any
peculiarities of the codec that you used to decode the JPEG files. It
wastes a huge amount of space and gives you no new useful information.

Martin Brown

Old July 26th 04, 03:09 PM
Matt Ion

"Paul Crowder" wrote in message
.com...
I've been looking for a program that can batch convert the JPEG files from
my Nikon D70 to TIFF files for lossless storage. The problem I've had

with
the programs so far (such as IrfanView) is that when converting to TIFF,

all
the EXIF data that existed in the JPEG is lost. Are there any (preferably
freeware) programs out there that will maintain the EXIF information when
doing a batch convert?

I'd think it would be dependent on other formats supporting the embedding of
EXIF data, which to the best of my understanding is currently specific to
JPEG.

What you might find useful is "EXIF UK" (http://www.amarra.de/exif_uk.htm) -
it does just about anything you could imagine with EXIF data, including
exporting it to an Excel file for a group of images, to renaming files to
include EXIF info, to comparing EXIF data across multiple files (handy for
checking bracketing results, for example). And... it's freeware.

from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
incapable of forming such opinions."
-- Albert Einstein

Old July 26th 04, 03:37 PM
Pete

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:30:49 GMT, Paul Crowder wrote:

I've been looking for a program that can batch convert the JPEG files from
my Nikon D70 to TIFF files for lossless storage. The problem I've had with
the programs so far (such as IrfanView) is that when converting to TIFF, all
the EXIF data that existed in the JPEG is lost. Are there any (preferably
freeware) programs out there that will maintain the EXIF information when
doing a batch convert?

Paul

You might find this link helpful:

http://tinyurl.com/4hj9v

Even if you move EXIF data from JPEG to TIFF files, I'd be very wary of
your TIFF-aware image editing programs losing all or part of your EXIF
data.

HTH
Old July 26th 04, 06:55 PM
Skroob

You are converting from JPG into TIFF?

Other than eating up more storage space, that will do nothing for you. Once
an image is JPEG, you can't 'add' quality to it by saving it in a better
format. The TIFF from those JPGS will be of equal image quality. The JPG
wont lose any more quality that it has right now(unless you resave the
images every time you view them, which nobody should do) over time, so just
keep them as they are. If you want to save to TIFFs for quality, then shoot
in RAW mode.

I have a D70 myself. After the first week of just getting a fell for the
camera, i now shoot only RAW.

Old July 26th 04, 09:24 PM

Pete wrote:

Even if you move EXIF data from JPEG to TIFF files, I'd be very wary of
your TIFF-aware image editing programs losing all or part of your EXIF
data.

EXIF is TIFF with more/different tags. Any TIFF software that drops
tags it doesn't know about would be a surprise: TIFF is extensible by
design, and tags can be copied trivially without the copy software
knowing exactly what they mean.