Kodak Duaflex shutter speed and compatible films

Old September 8th 04, 04:59 AM
Jeff Edwards

Default Kodak Duaflex shutter speed and compatible films

My Kodak Duaflex IV twin lens reflex camera has only two shutter
speeds, "instant" and "long" (meaning time exposure, same as B, I
suppose). What is the shutter speed of the instant setting for this
camera? The shutter speed slide switch says to use f16 for hazy and
bright sun for Verichrome Pan film, and f11 for bright sun for
"Kodachrome".

The only online manual for a Duaflex I could find (an earlier model)
doesn't say anything about shutter speed. It also doesn't say
anything about the speed of Verichrome Pan or Kodachrome at the time,
but the shutter switch on the camera suggests the available versions
of these films had only one speed.

The sunny 16 rule (use 1 over the film ASA/ISA speed at f16 for bright
sun), and current information about Verichrome Pan being ASA/ISO 125,
suggests (assuming that Verichrome Pan was ASA/ISO 125 in the 1950s as
well), that the Duaflex IV's shutter speed is 1/100 (the standard
shutter speed closest to 125 for Kodak and other cheap cameras of that
era, such as the Kodak Pony). If Verichrome Pan was ASA/ISO 50, this
suggests the shutter speed was 1/50. But I can't find anything saying
that Verichrome Pan was ASA/ISO 50 in the 1950s. What WAS Verichrome
Pan's speed in the 1950s, and what was the shutter speed on the
Duaflex IV?

Also, what was the speed of Kodachrome in the 1950s that the Duaflex
was intended for? I can't find a timeline showing when the various
Kodachrome speeds were introduced. However, posts to newsgroups
suggest that Kodachrome 25 was the standard Kodachrome film in the
1950s, which under the sunny 16 rule suggests that the Duaflex's
shutter speed was 1/50 (i.e. f11 would provide twice the light as f16,
if I'm figuring correctly, so the shutter speed must have been twice
the 25 film speed, or 1/50).

Jeff Edwards
(Please don't respond directly to my email address)
Old September 8th 04, 01:28 PM

Jeff Edwards wrote:
[...]

: Thanks for any information you can provide.

: Jeff Edwards
: (Please don't respond directly to my email address)

In the 50's, I think Kodachrome had a speed of 10. I think it went to 25 in
the late 50's or very early 60's.

Ray

--
E. Ray Lemar

Old September 8th 04, 05:08 PM
dadiOH

Jeff Edwards wrote:

What WAS Verichrome Pan's speed in the 1950s, and what
was the shutter speed on the Duaflex IV?

Verichrome Pan was my medium speed B&W film of choice for professional use
for many years...fine grained, nice H&D curve, good latitude. I much
preferred it to Plus X, the nearest competitor. It's ASA was 100, later 125

Don't know about the shutter speed, most likely in the 1/30 - 1/50 range.
That's where most point and shoot cameras of that era were. None of them
worried much about film under/over exposure, trusting to the films inherent
latitude to provide printable negs under most amateur lighting conditions.
_____________________

Also, what was the speed of Kodachrome in the 1950s

ASA 10 in the late 40s - early 50s. Don't know when exactly it was bumped
up.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Old September 8th 04, 09:13 PM
Paul W. Ross

IIRC, it was ASA 25 at the time. Vintage '30s stuff was about ASA 6!!
Verichrome was around ASA 125, I think.

I often use an old Zeiss Box Tengor camera for experiementals MF
stuff. I use Plus-X or the Agfa ASA 125 stuff with good results. I'd
suggest doing development by inspection (a few seconds under a deep
green filter about 1/2 way through development) just to check.

About 1/60 for the shutter speed would be a fair assumption.

Also, what was the speed of Kodachrome in the 1950s that the Duaflex
was intended for? I can't find a timeline showing when the various
Kodachrome speeds were introduced. However, posts to newsgroups
suggest that Kodachrome 25 was the standard Kodachrome film in the
1950s, which under the sunny 16 rule suggests that the Duaflex's
shutter speed was 1/50 (i.e. f11 would provide twice the light as f16,
if I'm figuring correctly, so the shutter speed must have been twice
the 25 film speed, or 1/50).

The films at the time from Kodak were (IIRC) -- Panatomic X (ASA 32),
Super XX (ASA 64), Verichrome Pan (ASA 125). Verichrome Pan was a dual
emulsion film, so gave all sorts of latitude on exposure, which was
great for the cameras of that era.