Older Used Nikon Query

Old July 18th 04, 07:18 AM
Paul Bartram

Default Older Used Nikon Query

"Monroe" wrote

New to digital photography. I've been looking for a digital camera for

amateur nature photography. Looking at limiting the $$ involved, I've been
presented with the option of purchasing a used Nikon 4500 or 950 . . . both
in reported excellent condition. I've checked out reviews of these products
and they sound good, but I'm wondering how they would compare in respect to
quality to current cameras that are similarly priced (I understand that the
new versions of these would be considerably better, but also much more $$).
To give you an idea, I've been quoted prices around $500 Cdn for these two
cameras.

I bought a Coolpix 995 last year through eBay, and I've been very pleased
with it. A friend in Florida has a 990, and the results from both our
cameras are excellent (we're happy anyway!) The big plus with these models
is the swivel design - for candid, fire from the hip photography I've never
found anything better.

To see samples of the output from these and many other digitals, go to
www.pbase.com and 'search by camera'. There are thousands of examples from
each kind.

Paul

Old July 18th 04, 12:27 PM
David J Taylor

Monroe wrote:
New to digital photography. I've been looking for a digital camera
for amateur nature photography. Looking at limiting the $$ involved,
I've been presented with the option of purchasing a used Nikon 4500 or
950 . . . both in reported excellent condition. I've checked out
reviews of these products and they sound good, but I'm wondering how
they would compare in respect to quality to current cameras that are
similarly priced (I understand that the new versions of these would be
considerably better, but also much more $$). To give you an idea,
I've been quoted prices around $500 Cdn for these two cameras.

The 4500 is the newer camera, and is still being sold at GBP 400 in the UK
($982 Cdn!!!). My wife and I have both used the 990 (between the 950 and
the 4500) and it is an excellent camera - the swivel design allowing you
great freedom as Paul noted.

It depends which newer camera you talk about - some at that price ($500
Cdn) will be not as robust as the 4500, the image quality is unlikely to
be better (judging by the 990 at least). I would have no hesitation is
suggesting you go for the 4500 at $500 Cdn.

Cheers,
David

Old July 18th 04, 08:26 PM
David J Taylor

Monroe wrote:
Out of interest, how does that swivel feature hold up over time?

No problem - it just keeps on working!

I have heard very isolated reports of people who have got sand in the
swivel, and one or two of the swivel coming apart in very early cameras.
I mean, you can break anything if you try hard enough!
The mode switch on the 990 has a reputation for requiring a spot of switch
cleaner from time to time in a damp environment, but I believe the design
was changed for the 4500. Can't comment on the 950's switch.

Cheers,
David