Canon Digital Rebel XT, RAW files, and Photoshop

Old May 20th 05, 05:26 PM
G.T.

"Steve Cutchen" wrote in message
In article , Gizmo
wrote:

"Barry Pearson" wrote in message
ups.com...

Is that similar to the 350D?

Canon Rebel XT is the US name for the Canon 350D

Canon Rebel = Canon 300D

Gawd knows why they didnt use the same name Worldwide /

The Nissan Maxima and Nissan Bluebird say "hi." G

Ha, I drove a Bluebird in NZ.

Greg

Old May 20th 05, 05:29 PM
G.T.

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
G.T. wrote:

Ok, I'm getting a headache trying to figure out the most streamlined
workflow with the current Adobe products that I have. I much prefer

using
Adobe's Camera Raw Plug-in over Digital Photo Professional because of

the
integrated workflow and more user friendly interface. I've been using
Elements 3.0 but a little while ago I received Photoshop CS as a

birthday
gift and have been using that as my primary editing app.

From what I understand given my camera model and Photoshop versions this
what I can do (with the first being my current workflow):

1. RAW - DPP - TIFF - Photoshop CS - PSD or JPG
2. RAW - Elements 3.0 with Camera Raw 3.1 - PSD or JPG
3. RAW - DNG converter - DNG - Elements 3.0 with Camera Raw 3.1 -

PSD or
JPG

I can't do the following, right?:

RAW - DNG converter - DNG - Photoshop CS - PSD or JPG

Import from camera or card into PS from RAW. Optionally create a DNG
version for archive. (though, for me, the camera RAW is a good archive
format).

As mentioned in other responses CS only supports ACR 2.4, ACR 2.4 doesn't
support the Rebel XT. So it depends on which version of PS you're talking
about. My currently available Photoshops are Elements 3.0 and CS. I would
prefer to use CS and will not upgrade to CS 2 just to get better workflow.

Greg

Old May 20th 05, 06:40 PM
John Francis

McLeod wrote:
On Thu, 19 May 2005 18:13:31 -0700, "G.T."
wrote:

I can't do the following, right?:

RAW - DNG converter - DNG - Photoshop CS - PSD or JPG

Yes, you can do that. But as long as you have the right plug-in you
should also be able to go:

RAW-Photoshop CS-whatever you want to save it as.

Except that there is no Adobe plugin for CS that can read XT Raw files,
and there will not be one - for that, yo need to upgrade to CS2.

Old May 20th 05, 06:55 PM
Alan Browne

John Francis wrote:

Except that there is no Adobe plugin for CS that can read XT Raw files,
and there will not be one - for that, yo need to upgrade to CS2.

Indeed? Adobe support sucks. Glad I have Elements 3.0, cheaper and it
does read all the current cameras.

So the OP can do the same: CameraRAW -+- E3 - PSD - CS.

+- backup/archive (RAW).

Sucks as a flow. Can also pass through DNG. But that just adds to the
overall number of steps.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 20th 05, 07:06 PM
John Francis

Alan Browne wrote:
John Francis wrote:

Except that there is no Adobe plugin for CS that can read XT Raw files,
and there will not be one - for that, yo need to upgrade to CS2.

Indeed? Adobe support sucks. Glad I have Elements 3.0, cheaper and it
does read all the current cameras.

So the OP can do the same: CameraRAW -+- E3 - PSD - CS.

+- backup/archive (RAW).

Sucks as a flow. Can also pass through DNG. But that just adds to the
overall number of steps.

You can use DNG in the same number of steps:

CameraRaw - DNG Converter 3.x - DNG - CS

This is the workaround workflow that Adobe recommend for CS owners,
which also lets you get at the full power of the Adobe Camera Raw
software, rather than the limited functionality accessible in E3.

(Mind you, I agree that it's a rather poor support decision not
to upgrade the plugin for a product as recent as Photoshop CS)

Old May 20th 05, 07:20 PM
Alan Browne

John Francis wrote:

You can use DNG in the same number of steps:

CameraRaw - DNG Converter 3.x - DNG - CS

This is the workaround workflow that Adobe recommend for CS owners,
which also lets you get at the full power of the Adobe Camera Raw
software, rather than the limited functionality accessible in E3.

(Mind you, I agree that it's a rather poor support decision not
to upgrade the plugin for a product as recent as Photoshop CS)

It's part of the evil plot to promote DNG.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 20th 05, 07:53 PM
G.T.

John Francis wrote:

You can use DNG in the same number of steps:

CameraRaw - DNG Converter 3.x - DNG - CS

This is the workaround workflow that Adobe recommend for CS owners,
which also lets you get at the full power of the Adobe Camera Raw
software, rather than the limited functionality accessible in E3.

(Mind you, I agree that it's a rather poor support decision not
to upgrade the plugin for a product as recent as Photoshop CS)

It's part of the evil plot to promote DNG.

And to force upgrades to CS 2.

Greg

Old May 20th 05, 08:13 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Alan Browne wrote:

(Mind you, I agree that it's a rather poor support decision not
to upgrade the plugin for a product as recent as Photoshop CS)

It's part of the evil plot to promote DNG.

My God, you're right! Instead of forcing us to pay for the CS2 upgrade,
they give us a free program we can use instead, thus furthering their evil
corporate goal of ... um... oh.

Actually, it does a good job of pointing out that if the camera makers
would generate DNG in the first place, we wouldn't have to worry about
software updates like this at all.

--
Jeremy |
Old May 20th 05, 10:16 PM
Barry Pearson

Jeremy Nixon wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
(Mind you, I agree that it's a rather poor support decision not
to upgrade the plugin for a product as recent as Photoshop CS)

It's part of the evil plot to promote DNG.

My God, you're right! Instead of forcing us to pay for the CS2

upgrade,
they give us a free program we can use instead, thus furthering their

evil
corporate goal of ... um... oh.

Chuckle!

(Actually, their "evil corporate goal" is probably "to accelerate the
use of Raw photography worldwide". I see NO other goal that is
compatible with what Adobe are doing with DNG).

Actually, it does a good job of pointing out that if the camera

makers
would generate DNG in the first place, we wouldn't have to worry

about
software updates like this at all.

Bravo! Who is part of the problem? Who is part of the solution?

And can we conclude from this that Adobe's business plan doesn't
include forcing people to upgrade simply because their cameras are not
supported by old versions of Camera Raw?

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/