More distressing news for Pentax owners

Old May 1st 19, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default More distressing news for Pentax owners

A year or two ago I had called Sigma, and they told me that they would
make some Pentax mount lenses on a case by case basis going forward.
The other day, I called again and they told me that they have no plans
to make any more lenses for Pentax. That is not a good sign for
Pentax. Tamron dropped them long ago. I guess the new full frame
Pentax models did nothing to change anyone's mind about the health of
Pentax.

Rokinon - and their other brands - still makes them, but I believe
they are the only 3d party left, and they are all MF. I wonder if
Pentax is finally circling the drain. It's probably on to Fuji before
long.
Old May 2nd 19, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Wed, 01 May 2019 15:29:41 -0500, Bill W
wrote:

A year or two ago I had called Sigma, and they told me that they would
make some Pentax mount lenses on a case by case basis going forward.
The other day, I called again and they told me that they have no plans
to make any more lenses for Pentax. That is not a good sign for
Pentax. Tamron dropped them long ago. I guess the new full frame
Pentax models did nothing to change anyone's mind about the health of
Pentax.

Rokinon - and their other brands - still makes them, but I believe
they are the only 3d party left, and they are all MF. I wonder if
Pentax is finally circling the drain. It's probably on to Fuji before
long.

The shakeout has to come, and it's usually the brands with the lowest
market share that suffer first. Unit sales keep dropping, and if Canon
is right they still have a ways to go. So who's safe? Canon, Nikon,
and Sony?
Old May 3rd 19, 02:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Wed, 1 May 2019 23:47:13 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Wednesday, 1 May 2019 16:29:47 UTC-4, Bill W wrote:
A year or two ago I had called Sigma, and they told me that they would
make some Pentax mount lenses on a case by case basis going forward.
The other day, I called again and they told me that they have no plans
to make any more lenses for Pentax. That is not a good sign for
Pentax. Tamron dropped them long ago. I guess the new full frame
Pentax models did nothing to change anyone's mind about the health of
Pentax.

Rokinon - and their other brands - still makes them, but I believe
they are the only 3d party left, and they are all MF. I wonder if
Pentax is finally circling the drain. It's probably on to Fuji before
long.

Pentax has a fair number of their own lenses. Aftermarket is cheaper though.

It is, but... I bought a 28-75 F2.8 Tamron lens for the K1 because it
had ok reviews, but there were some about focus problems. The first
one I got was front focusing, so I returned it for an exchange. The
replacement is all over the place. Front focusing at one end of the
zoom, and back focusing at the other. It's a piece of ****, so it's
going back, too. I'll probably pop for one last lens for Pentax, and
it will be a Pentax lens - at more than double the price.

The Rokinon lenses are good - and cheap, but manual focus.
Old May 3rd 19, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 2 May 2019 17:45:39 +0200, Alfred Molon

says...

A year or two ago I had called Sigma, and they told me that they would
make some Pentax mount lenses on a case by case basis going forward.
The other day, I called again and they told me that they have no plans
to make any more lenses for Pentax. That is not a good sign for
Pentax. Tamron dropped them long ago. I guess the new full frame
Pentax models did nothing to change anyone's mind about the health of
Pentax.

Rokinon - and their other brands - still makes them, but I believe
they are the only 3d party left, and they are all MF. I wonder if
Pentax is finally circling the drain. It's probably on to Fuji before
long.

Hmmm... unless you have spent huge sums on Pentax
lenses, it shouldn't be a problem buying a new camera
with a lot of future. Otherwise just continue using your
existing Pentax.

I started with Pentax in the early 90's, so I do have some investment
in the system. I certainly will keep using what I have, but will spend
time planning my move at the same time. And if not a move, an addition
of another system. I can keep the K1 and the FF lenses so I have a FF
system, and then add the Fuji system for all its advantages. FF is
hardly necessary for someone like me, but I like the option.