Ready for the Apple Pro 32" 6K XDR display

Old June 5th 19, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Ready for the Apple Pro 32" 6K XDR display

However, you might want to attach it to the newMac Pro.

https://www.apple.com/pro-display-xdr/
https://petapixel.com/2019/06/04/app...argest-retina-
screen-ever-32-6k-for-5k/

Savageduck

Old June 5th 19, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Tue, 04 Jun 2019 17:47:41 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

However, you might want to attach it to the newMac Pro.

https://www.apple.com/pro-display-xdr/
https://petapixel.com/2019/06/04/app...argest-retina-
screen-ever-32-6k-for-5k/

Looks nice, but for now my 5K iMac is more then enough for me.

And that new Mac Pro? Starting at $6K? Damn...
Old June 5th 19, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

And that new Mac Pro? Starting at $6K? Damn...

...and that is just in the basic configuration with unbelievable expansion
capability. Fully configured with all but the kitchen sink I would guess one
would be looking at $20K+, and then you would still need to add a display.

pricing for the various options has not been announced, but estimates
are $30-50k.

a 28 core xeon-w chip (which by itself ain't cheap), 1.5 terabytes of
memory, 4 tb ssd, four gpus, an afterburner, plus the most important
part, the optional wheels, adds up very quickly.

Definitely overkill for this retired old fart.

it's overkill for just about everyone, but there are definitely those
who can use utilize its capabilities, and some who have enough money
not to care.

An astonishing powerhouse which I could never justify. It is without doubt an
undeniable Pro machine. I think if I needed, or wanted to go into
something more than I have now, it would be an iMac Pro, and even that would
be more than I truly need.

that's targeted at more normal use cases.
Old June 6th 19, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

wrote:

However, you might want to attach it to the newMac Pro.

https://www.apple.com/pro-display-xdr/
https://petapixel.com/2019/06/04/app...argest-retina-
screen-ever-32-6k-for-5k/

Looks nice, but for now my 5K iMac is more then enough for me.

And that new Mac Pro? Starting at $6K? Damn...

Because you need 28 Xeon cores to do Facebook?

It's clearly aimed at the cinematographer set.

I'll be looking to a new iMac in 2020 or so - but might even go with a
Mac Mini and two displays instead if the mini meets my needs.

--
"Even with the brain dead, the pig's heart keeps on beating...
sort of like ... pick a Kardashian."
Old June 6th 19, 02:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2019-06-06 08:11, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 5 June 2019 22:05:24 UTC+1, nospam wrote:
In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

And that new Mac Pro? Starting at $6K? Damn...

...and that is just in the basic configuration with unbelievable expansion
capability. Fully configured with all but the kitchen sink I would guess one
would be looking at $20K+, and then you would still need to add a display.

pricing for the various options has not been announced, but estimates
are $30-50k.

a 28 core xeon-w chip (which by itself ain't cheap), 1.5 terabytes of
memory, 4 tb ssd, four gpus, an afterburner, plus the most important
part, the optional wheels, adds up very quickly.

Definitely overkill for this retired old fart.

it's overkill for just about everyone, but there are definitely those
who can use utilize its capabilities,

I do wonder who these people are, I did think film editors but from what I hear final cut pro isn't necessarily the best editor as plenty of people can use a PC with adobe. I doubt it'll be music makers or producers either. perhaps gamers or game developers but it doesn't seem likely

There are many other video editing options for Mac beyond Final Cut.

But that is the crowd this machine is aimed at. With capture at 4K, 6K,
8K, the processing grows geometrically... you need a lot of power.
Spending $20K and more on an editing station is not all that much for
this crowd... and often this crowd are highly paid so better they can
get stuff done fast.

Old June 6th 19, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Incubus
wrote:

Gamers buy a PC, not a Mac. They do want to play games, after all

or they buy a phone, which is by far, the largest gaming platform.
Old June 6th 19, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

it's overkill for just about everyone, but there are definitely those
who can use utilize its capabilities,

I do wonder who these people are, I did think film editors but from what I
hear final cut pro isn't necessarily the best editor as plenty of people
can use a PC with adobe. I doubt it'll be music makers or producers
either. perhaps gamers or game developers but it doesn't seem likely

There are many other video editing options for Mac beyond Final Cut.

as well as many other use cases, including audio (1000 tracks in the
demo), cryptography and much more.

But that is the crowd this machine is aimed at. With capture at 4K, 6K,
8K, the processing grows geometrically... you need a lot of power.
Spending $20K and more on an editing station is not all that much for
this crowd... and often this crowd are highly paid so better they can
get stuff done fast.

it's less expensive than what they're using now.

that $6k xdr display is competing with reference displays that cost
$20-40k, and is actually much better.
Old June 6th 19, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Incubus
wrote:

Gamers buy a PC, not a Mac. They do want to play games, after all

or they buy a phone, which is by far, the largest gaming platform.

Don't let a serious (TM) gamer hear you say that.

they already know it and are already gaming on a phone.

you're also underestimating what gaming on a phone can actually do.

Sensible ones buy a console.

two different use cases.
Old June 6th 19, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2019-06-06, nospam wrote:
In article , Incubus
wrote:

Gamers buy a PC, not a Mac. They do want to play games, after all

or they buy a phone, which is by far, the largest gaming platform.

Don't let a serious (TM) gamer hear you say that.

Sensible ones buy a console.

"Serious" "Sensible" "Gamer"

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH