Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 3rd 18, 03:57 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| But, the link provided in this thread was not directly from Adobe.
|
| Therefore, is downloading from the site mentioned in this thread legal?

I wouldn't. They're no longer giving it away,
technically. I also didn't try the download link,
so I don't know whether it goes to Adobe. I
also didn't see where the OP said he got his
copy from there. How do we know he didn't
use the legal download? Or sign up at Adobe?

there is no legal download for cs2 except for those who already own cs2
nor was there ever such a download. period. full stop.

| It seems to be a quirk of the American psyche that
| we love a witch hunt. The mob wants to decide who's
| the evil one and pass harsh judgement, so we can be
| sure we're safe.
|

| Or, some people respect the intellectual property of the developers more.

You think so? I'm a developer myself. I've written
shareware for about 19 years and used to make
a decent side income from it during the PC craze
of 2000-ish. Very, very, very, very few people pay
for software if they don't have to. When I suggested
a donation I got a handful of nice letters with checks
(8 to be exact), despite 10s of thousands of downloads.
When I started charging I got more payments, but
many, many more people were using "cracks".

that could be because your software is garbage.

people are happy to pay for quality products and support the
developers, however, they don't like to pay for crap.

Companies like Microsoft, Apple and Adobe
are all grossly overcharging because they've managed
to create monoply situations and they have businesses
over a barrel. How do I know they're overcharging?
Because they're among the most profitable companies
in the world and all they do is make software. When
you sell a bestseller book it goes to paperback and gets
cheaper, not more expensive.

nonsense. being profitable does not mean they're overcharging.

they make stuff a lot of people want to buy.

if they were actually overcharging, sales would be weak to nonexistent
and they would have to slash prices to move dead product.

Exxon/Mobil has to drill oil wells, run tankers, clean
up spills.... how is it that Exxon/Mobil and Apple are
both near the top in profits? How is it that Apple
managed to collect a $215B tax evasion stash offshore
in the space of 7 years? *Billion!* That's about $30B/year.
And that's only the money they're hiding to cheat on taxes.

apple has not evaded paying *any* taxes. apple pays every tax dollar
they owe.

holding money offshore is *not* tax evasion and many companies do it.
it's completely *legal*.

keep in mind that more than half of apple's revenue is from *outside*
the usa.

also keep in mind that apple is the only major company (so far) to
repatriate the money under the new tax code.

It's only their offshore tax evasion, not their total
profits. And you feel sorry for them? Of course, Apple
do claim to have invented round corners. Should I send them
a royalty when I use sandpaper? Do you suppose poor
Timmy Cook is going hungry because he loves his Apple
flock so much that he lets them abuse him? Somehow
I'm just not convinced of that, despite Cook's histrionics
in the media.

i see you misunderstand yet another patent.

Sharing software was popular years ago, before
online activation, simply because it was so expensive.

in other words, piracy.

Someone paid $300 for Windows, $600 for Photoshop,
maybe $600 for MS Office. The prices are crazy.

windows is bundled with computers so people never paid $300 and the
home version was less anyway.

photoshop is professional level software and pays for itself very
quickly. the consumer version of photoshop is under $100.

I can buy a Windows PC today for $300.

a ****ty one, sure.

a decent windows pc suitable for photoshop, video editing, cad, etc.,
will cost a lot more than $300. high end pcs are more than 10x that
price.

in the $300 price range, a chromebook or an ipad is a *much* better
choice.

Yet it costs
the same to buy a Pro copy of Windows. (The minimum
fee to get a copy I can move to my next computer.)
So naturally people would share their disks. Was that
wrong? If so then why isn't exploiting a monopoly
market wrong?

two very, very different things.

(Bill Gates famously tried to get his buddy Warren
Buffett to invest in MS, explaining that they get a
"Windows tax" on every PC sold. A can't-lose
proposition. Humorously, apple is now one of Buffet's
favorites.)

buffet likes apple because microsoft dropped the ball and apple is
running with it.

microsoft botched windows 8, windows phone was a complete failure,
ballmer was fired, sinofsky is gone and now myerson is gone.

Meanwhile, this is not a morality court. The topic
is about transferring fonts.

actually it's about making a street sign in the most convoluted method
possible, using pirated software and likely pirated fonts.