Ektalure G Paper

Old January 18th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Ektalure G Paper

What is this paper? I was recently given a batch of it. c. 1979. Thx.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If the paper is still good your going to make some really great warm
tone prints,
It responds to KRST like no other paper and it has a great surface
texture.

I still am hording about 1k sheets in my freezer (none for sale) for
when I retire and have the time to enjoy it. If you find that the paper
is not performing properly because of fog etc. get yourself some of
Edwals Liquid Orthazite to clear things up.

I have found that Forte's VC Warmtone Art has the same speed as
Ektalure G with no filtration. It responds to KRST similarly,
it's surface texture is nice but not as nice as Ektalure's. WT Art came
be used for proofing and developing dodging stratagies
rather than using up your Ektalure.

IMO, Ektalure,Plus-X film, and D-76 was one of Kodak's all time very
best combinations if your shooting medium format or 35mm up to 5X7.

Good Luck.

Bob McCarthy

Old January 19th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Lloyd Erlick wrote:
[re Kodak Dataguides]
I still have the copy I bought new for myself
in the late 1960s. It has the paper samples
and I still even have the loose sheet of
tissue paper that rests against the gray card
page.

The other day I came across one in a
Goodwill. It wasn't in such great shape, but
it did have the paper samples. I wonder if I
should have bought it?

Sure! But fortunately they are common, so another
will come along. Collecting Dataguides is a much
more affordable habit than collecting, say, Leicas.
I find the old literature and those sample prints interesting
in the way they make change over time tangible - more
so than the jewelry-collecting aspect of collecting objects
(cameras, etc). Also, I still use the developing calculator
wheel to figure out time/temperature whenever I develop
film.

These things are common enough that one assumes, or
hopes, there will always be a good supply, but that can be
a rash assumption. As I said of 620 spools and 9x12
holders in another thread, it is the common things that
disappear most surprisingly. The paper sample books
Richard seeks out are another example. Those things
were freely given away, which paradoxically is one reason
they are harder to find now, because they were easy to
discard without reservations. The same goes for old
datasheets and instruction manuals. It's the real world
equivalent of bit-rot.

Old January 19th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

wrote in message
oups.com...
What is this paper? I was recently given a batch of it. c. 1979. Thx.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If the paper is still good your going to make some really great warm
tone prints,

Thanks for all the comments folks. The paper is mostly good. I tried a test
sheet off the top of the deck and was a little disheartened. It was
partially fogged. Then I pulled from the middle and back on the pack and
they came out of the developer pure white. Yippee I guess. I'm sorry if
someone has mentioned already but what grade is Ektalure paper? I'm guessing
2 or maybe 3? What does the "G" stand for?

It responds to KRST like no other paper and it has a great surface
texture.

How so? What dilutions should I use? 1:9? 1:20? When do I tone after drying?

I still am hording about 1k sheets in my freezer (none for sale) for
when I retire and have the time to enjoy it.

Life is too short. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow.

If you find that the paper
is not performing properly because of fog etc. get yourself some of
Edwals Liquid Orthazite to clear things up.

Is that the same as Benzotriazole?

Old January 19th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Ektalure is a very warm tone paper of moderate speed. It
was essentially a replacement for an earlier Kodak paper
called Opal, also a very warm tone paper, but very slow. The
relative speeds awere given by Kodak as 800 for Ektalure and
160 for Opal.
G is an arbitrary Kodak designation for the particular
combination of surface, testure, and support color. It is
described as "Cream-white, luster, fine grained. The fine
grained refers to the surface not the emulsion. Ektalure
originally came in Grades 1,2,3,4 but at the end of its
production life was made only in Grade-2. It was available
only in G surface, which, according to the old data sheets,
was especially prepared to accept photo-oil colors.
Recommended developer was Kodak Selectol or D-52. It should
produce quite warm tones in any "warm tone" developer. It
should also tone will in direct toners like KRST and Kodak
Brown Toner but image color will depend on the developer
used and other things.
Fog can be reduced by adding either Benzotriazole or
Potassium Bromide. Benzotriazole is more effective as a fog
suppressant but tends to shift image color toward the cool
side. Bromide shifts it toward brown so may be more suitable
where very warm tones are desired. Quite a bit of bromide
can be added to most paper developers. The effect of a lot
of bromide will be a loss of some paper speed. Benzotriazole
tends to lose less speed in relation to its fog supressing
ability.
Liquid Orthozite is just a Benzotriazole solution.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old January 20th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

How many sheets are in your batch?

Bob

Old January 21st 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

When I worked in a university darkroom we made may prints on the "A" surface
papers, thinner than single weight it was used so that photographs could be
bound into thesis (thesi ?) ((thesis's??)). Both Kodabromide and
Polycontrast, our lab preferred the VC paper since some doctoral candidates
are inconsistent photographers. (Others are excellent, I took several
photography courses from grad students and professor types and learned a
lot.)

--
darkroommike
wrote in message
ups.com...
Mike King wrote:
Ektalure G was a double weight "portrait" paper. A warm toned emulsion,
with a fine grained texture, on a cream colored base. Toned nicely in
Selenium a "cool" brown. Came in only one contrast grade it was a

staple of
American studios before color film, many prints were hand colored using
various oil pencils and paints.

At one time Ektalure came in many bases and textures but it has gone the

way
of the dodo bird. The R, X and G surfaces were the last to go and I'd

guess
G lived on for about ten years after it's siblings, it was briefly
resurrected after Kodak discontinued it the first time. About

1990-1993?

Something familiar to all the veterans are the old copies of
the Kodak B&W Darkroom Dataguide with the bound-in samples
of paper types. I don't know if these still exist in newer versions -
certainly the variety of papers doesn't. My 1969 edition, which was
already old, but very useful, when an uncle gave it to me, lists
Ektalure in E,G,K,R,Y, and X surfaces. The bound in samples
include E, K, and X.

Not to get too art-studenty, but I was also always fascinated by
the little bound-in samples of exotic papers and the stylistic
diversity of the images Kodak chose to use as samples, as a
set of found objects. The 1969 Dataguide has a set ranging
from a bridal picture (Opal paper) to posed portraits (Polylure,
Ektalure) to a chemist in a lab of bubbling test tubes
(Kodabromide A, naturally).

Old January 21st 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I have several of the little sample books that Kodak and Ilford used to
provide to dealers, the dealers always gave me the old ones when new copies
were distributed.

--
darkroommike
wrote in message
ups.com...

Old January 21st 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Local dealer? I must be new to the group, I've never heard that term
before. (Oh for the good old days, he lamented.)

--
darkroommike

"G- Blank" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

Where can I get a Forte test sample book? Or even an Ilford?

These were made specifically for Dealers to hang in their shops,
perhaps you have a local dealer that wouldn't mind you having theirs.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com

Old January 22nd 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Lloyd Erlick" Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote in message

spending my time working under my
enlarger. But it has been spring-like in
Otnorot for a couple of weeks, and today is
supposed to go to nine degrees (that's nine
above freezing! Whoopee!). So who can resist
a stroll in a bathing suit to the beach.

You Canadians are a hardy lot. Maybe global warming isn't such a bad
thing.Enjoy it while you can. Pretty nice here in NYC too.

Natural Light Black and White Photography
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze76ane/
-George-