All-in-One PCs

Old January 24th 16, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default All-in-One PCs

| Like iMacs, they have limited upgradeability,
|
| most people don't upgrade.

Most Mac users, no. That's one of the
major selling points of Windows: The computer
is really just a case housing a number of fairly
generic parts that can be swapped out or
upgraded as needed. And that's a common
thing to do. More to the point, Alfred Molon
sounds to me like the type of person who could
and would benefit from such flexibility, regardless
of whether "most" people who you know can
make use of upgradeability.

Old January 24th 16, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| Like iMacs, they have limited upgradeability,
|
| most people don't upgrade.

Most Mac users, no.

it's not just mac users.

it's industry-wide.

That's one of the
major selling points of Windows: The computer
is really just a case housing a number of fairly
generic parts that can be swapped out or
upgraded as needed.

that's not a major selling point of windows. in fact, it's not even
windows specific.

most windows systems sold today are laptops, which are not upgradable
other than maybe memory and possibly a hard drive. some windows laptops
even have soldered in memory and an internal battery.

And that's a common
thing to do.

no it isn't.

More to the point, Alfred Molon
sounds to me like the type of person who could
and would benefit from such flexibility, regardless
of whether "most" people who you know can
make use of upgradeability.

unlikely, and it has nothing to do with who i know. go read industry
stats, should you wish to educate yourself.

normal people want to get stuff done rather than tinker inside the
computer.
Old January 24th 16, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/24/2016 11:06 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Mayayana says...

You might want to ask in a Windows forum if
you want to hear from people who actually know
about Windows.

I asked in rpd - never posted in a Mac forum.

The all-in-ones are basically budget machines.

Not really. Some are quite high-end (4K screens, I7 processors, 32GB RAM
etc.)

Like iMacs, they have limited upgradeability, yet
typically cost far too much for what you get because
of the basic rule of electronics: Smaller costs more.
And like any kind of all-in-one, if one part breaks
you may have to junk the whole thing.

Unless you can repair it and upgrade it yourself. But unfortunately many
AiOs are stuff which is glued together :-(

If you want the best possible display then I
wonder why you'd limit yourself to all-in-ones.

Convenience - only one "box", no mess of multiple boxes connected with
cables.

Presumably you don't need portability, so why
not just have a desktop computer and look for
the best monitor?

See above. In principle the ideal device is a 24-27" tablet with fast i7
processor, 32GB RAM or more, slot for SSD and slot for 2.5" HDD, 4K high
quality display (those with the new RGB LEDs), user upgradeable (user
can open it and replace/upgrade HDD, SSD and memory, weight as light
possible ( 2 or 3 Kg). With sort of a mounting bracket so that you can
fix it as a monior and take it off in case you want. Internal battery
not needed or perhaps small for for 5 minutes of autonomy, in case the
power gets cut off for some reason.

But we are quite far away from such as a device. Currently on the market
you find only behemoths with up to 16 Kg of weight.

Bottom line. either will work. I personally would not consider an all in
one. I have a personal bias in favor of flexibility, which gives the
edge to Windows. Logic says why buy a Mac if you are going to run
Windows programs. I would be concerned about driver issues when the
programs update.

--
PeterN
Old January 24th 16, 05:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/24/2016 11:30 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

Presumably you don't need portability, so why
not just have a desktop computer and look for
the best monitor?

See above. In principle the ideal device is a 24-27" tablet with fast i7
processor, 32GB RAM or more, slot for SSD and slot for 2.5" HDD, 4K high
quality display (those with the new RGB LEDs), user upgradeable (user
can open it and replace/upgrade HDD, SSD and memory, weight as light
possible ( 2 or 3 Kg). With sort of a mounting bracket so that you can
fix it as a monior and take it off in case you want. Internal battery
not needed or perhaps small for for 5 minutes of autonomy, in case the
power gets cut off for some reason.

But we are quite far away from such as a device. Currently on the market
you find only behemoths with up to 16 Kg of weight.

such a device is not marketable.

So says our resident marketing expert.

--
PeterN
Old January 24th 16, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

| Just curious if anyone is using all in one PCs for image processing and
| if yes which ones.
|
| Personally I'm currently eyeing some models with a 24" or 27" screen and
| 4K resolution.

You might want to ask in a Windows forum if
you want to hear from people who actually know
about Windows.

The all-in-ones are basically budget machines.

wrong.

Like iMacs, they have limited upgradeability,

most people don't upgrade.

and exactly what statistical study do you base that statement. I asked
that question in the past, and no answer was given. Just wondering if
new studies have been completed.

--
PeterN
Old January 24th 16, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

See above. In principle the ideal device is a 24-27" tablet with fast i7
processor, 32GB RAM or more, slot for SSD and slot for 2.5" HDD, 4K high
quality display (those with the new RGB LEDs), user upgradeable (user
can open it and replace/upgrade HDD, SSD and memory, weight as light
possible ( 2 or 3 Kg). With sort of a mounting bracket so that you can
fix it as a monior and take it off in case you want. Internal battery
not needed or perhaps small for for 5 minutes of autonomy, in case the
power gets cut off for some reason.

But we are quite far away from such as a device. Currently on the market
you find only behemoths with up to 16 Kg of weight.

such a device is not marketable.

So says our resident marketing expert.

yet another attack. stick to the topic for a change.

do you really want a 24" tablet?? think about that for a moment. a 24"
tablet, and one with a whopping 5 minute battery life *and* with wall
mounting brackets.

if you think it's marketable, go start a company and build them. put
your money where your mouth is.
Old January 24th 16, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Bottom line. either will work. I personally would not consider an all in
one.

then you're missing out on a 5k display.

I have a personal bias in favor of flexibility, which gives the
edge to Windows.

flexibility comes at a cost. by making that the priority, you
compromise productivity and user experience.

Logic says why buy a Mac if you are going to run
Windows programs.

if flexibility is your goal, then a mac is the way to go because not
only can you run windows apps but you can *also* run mac apps, making
it the most flexible choice.

I would be concerned about driver issues when the
programs update.

there's no need to be concerned. apple supplies the necessary drivers
for the hardware.
Old January 24th 16, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/24/2016 1:04 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

NEWS FLASH!

There are folks who disagree with your market analysis:
2" to go, and most of the requested features are available.
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-displays/cintiq-22-hd

Old January 24th 16, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

that's not remotely close to what alfred was describing.
Old January 24th 16, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

Bottom line. either will work. I personally would not consider an all in
one.

then you're missing out on a 5k display.

I'll manage to survive, an

I have a personal bias in favor of flexibility, which gives the
edge to Windows.

flexibility comes at a cost. by making that the priority, you
compromise productivity and user experience.

Based upon the images you have shown us, you have zero productivity.
"User experience" is an undefinable marketing term. I forgot you are a
marketing expert.

Logic says why buy a Mac if you are going to run
Windows programs.

if flexibility is your goal, then a mac is the way to go because not
only can you run windows apps but you can *also* run mac apps, making
it the most flexible choice.

Yawn. You sound like a used car salesman.

I would be concerned about driver issues when the
programs update.

there's no need to be concerned. apple supplies the necessary drivers
for the hardware.

Gee that's not what some of my friends at Apple say, off the record.

--
PeterN