"Red Eye" effect of animals

Old March 4th 05, 03:12 AM
MarkČ

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message ...
wrote:
I am writing an article about "red eye" effect of people and animals.
What I noticed is when you take a photo of the same animal, its eyes
can have different colors on different photos or even its left and
right eyes has different colors on the same photo. I think this depends
on the angle at which you take a photo, rather than on tapetal color.
Am I right? I never heard of it before, so it is just my assumption...

Please see the photos of the animals:
http://www.colorpilot.com/redeye_effect01.html
all 6 pictures of a dog show actually the same dog...

What do you think?

Natalia

Dogs and cats seem to have a lot more rods than cones in their retinas, and the angle
from which the light reflects seems to vary the color, even though the rods aren't color
sensitive. Fixing this problem in post-processing is much like doing the same with
human eyes, except that many programs look for the red tones, which are usually absent
in animal eyes (excpet other primates).

The following photo would seem to indicate otherwise (about red):
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/37320115
These are my two dogs...brother and sister (same litter, though they don't look like it).

No adjustments have been made to the photo.

Interesting, aye? -Merry Christmas!

-Mark

Old March 4th 05, 10:27 AM
Ken Tough

Owamanga wrote:

Kidding aside, I have a BSc in Digital Electronics and was wondering
how the LEDs are used as sensors - you seem to imply that a red LED
can detect red light - is this primarily because it has a red filter,
(ie a clear-case red LED can't do this?), and what's so special about
the white LEDs in this respect?

Way back when ('87 I think..) I remember noticing in the lab that
red low-power laser light will generate voltage across a bog-standard
red LED. I always think there ought to be nice applications of
this..given the low price of standard red leds and (now) laser pointers,
you could make a cheap detector panel like you say..

--
Ken Tough
Old March 4th 05, 11:27 AM

Mark, this is a great example! Do you checkup your guestbook at
http://www.pbase.com ? Just want to write there a note...

Natalia

Old March 4th 05, 04:23 PM
MarkČ

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mark, this is a great example! Do you checkup your guestbook at
http://www.pbase.com ? Just want to write there a note...

Natalia

Thanks, and yes.

Old March 4th 05, 06:39 PM
jimkramer

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am writing an article about "red eye" effect of people and animals.
What I noticed is when you take a photo of the same animal, its eyes
can have different colors on different photos or even its left and
right eyes has different colors on the same photo. I think this depends
on the angle at which you take a photo, rather than on tapetal color.
Am I right? I never heard of it before, so it is just my assumption...

Please see the photos of the animals:
http://www.colorpilot.com/redeye_effect01.html
all 6 pictures of a dog show actually the same dog...

What do you think?

Natalia

Definitely reflection, check out the floor.
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/2517.JPG
Jim