Newbie question (need advice!)

Old September 10th 04, 05:25 AM
GameFan72

Thank you, Carrigman, David Sommers, and Ron Baird for the GREAT info! Greatly
appreciated. This stuff is a lot to think about when you're a total newbie to
digital cameras and I really want to make the right decision on this. Thanks
again!

Old September 10th 04, 05:40 AM
BenOne©

David Sommers wrote:

I'm sorry, but 16MB of internal memory for a 4MP camera is as useless as
tits on a bull. On most weekends I might shoot anywhere from 50 to 450 shots
with a 3.2MP or 4MP camera. What good would an extra 16MB be? Get real.

Believe it or not, some people don't take nearly that many photos, and having a
few spare MB can be enough to get them by until they have a chance to transfer
the photos from their smallish memory card (64MB) to the computer and make space
for more photos.

--
Ben Thomas
given nor endorsed by it.

Old September 10th 04, 03:40 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Dave,

That is a common amount of memory for internal use. I see it being included
as a safety measure and for extra features, i.e. if your memory card is full
or if something happens to it, you still have some shots left for those
important moments. It is not intended to be the main source of storage. It
can also be used for online reviews by the camera. Select images can be
returned to the camera for display on your TV for example. For many, this
is a useful feature.

Talk to you soon, Dave,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

I'm sorry, but 16MB of internal memory for a 4MP camera is as useless as
tits on a bull. On most weekends I might shoot anywhere from 50 to 450

shots
with a 3.2MP or 4MP camera. What good would an extra 16MB be? Get real.

Bye.

David Sommers wrote:

I suggest looking at the Canon S1 IS. It is a generally similar camera

with
some important differences. The Canon 10X zoom lens has an optical

image
stabilizer. As far as I'm concerned, anything above 5X zoom needs help

stabilize the image, and an optical image stabilizer is the best. Many
people prefer the standard AA batteries used by the Canon, as well as

the CF
storage.

Old September 11th 04, 01:03 AM
David Sommers

Yes, I know some people with digital cameras who do not have to download
their pictures ever. One lady at work brought in her Canon A5 to show it to
me. It had pictures on the CF card that were years old. Is that who Kodak
wants to market to? Good luck to them. I carry over 1GB of storage with me
when I go out with a camera or two. Right now I'm about to go visit my
grandchildren I have two cameras that I'm wearing on my belt. My Panasonic
SV-AV100 has a 1GB SD card and a spare 512MB SD card in its pouch. My Canon
S400 has a 256MB CF card. That's photography.

Bye.