Newbie Q: Matching my budget to my purpose

Old September 2nd 04, 10:24 PM
sedawk

Default Newbie Q: Matching my budget to my purpose

I'm in the market for a digital camera, it's primary purpose will be
to take photos of youth hockey for posting on a website.
Being new to photography, I found the $200 rebate on the Nikon Coolpix
8700 and almost pulled the trigger on that purchase. After doing some
research however, I realize I would not get the quality of pictures
I'm hoping for with that camera. After a good recommendation here,
I've decided to step up to a DSLR camera (Nikon D70). My next question
comes down to budget however. I'll be in the market for a zoom lens,
but I won't be able to afford a super fast lens at the moment. I'd
like an opinion on this lens:

http://www.adorama.com/NK70300AFGU.html

I realize it's a budget lens. I'd like to use pretty fast shutter
speeds to really freeze (no pun intended) the action. I know the
lighting varies from rink to rink, but I'm wondering if this lens will
be adequate. Like I said earlier, these pics will mostly be for
posting on a website, not for printing. Would I be able to lighten the
pics in Photoshop and get decent results? I could use a faster ISO
setting as well, correct?
I'm new with all this, so I'm just looking for advice.
Thanks guys.
Old September 2nd 04, 11:15 PM
MarkH

(sedawk) wrote in news:7c0594ba.0409021324.48556714
@posting.google.com:

[...]

Here is a site that gives some scores for optical quality on a variety of
lenses including the one you are looking for.
http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm

Unfortunately in most cases the top scoring lenses are more expensive.

At the price of the lens that you are considering you would not lose much
if you bought it and used it while saving to buy a more expensive high
quality lens. I am currently doing that with a Canon lens, I have the
Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 which is pretty cheap in price and optical quality. My
cheap lens does OK, but I will buy a better lens when I can afford to.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)

See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
understand binary and those that don't"

Old September 3rd 04, 12:04 AM
Frank ess

sedawk wrote:
[...]

Look at the "volleyball" photo and exposition low down on this page:
http://www.larry-bolch.com/ephemeral/

He talks about techniques for squeezing desirable characteristics out of
undesirable circumstances.

--
Frank ess