Someone else post a film thread.

Old September 17th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ken Hart1

Default Someone else post a film thread.

"Harold Gough" wrote in message

I use film camera bodies I bought 20 or more years ago and many manual
focus lenses which ceased manufacture not long after that. Strangely,
with an occasional service, and with my 20 years of additional
experience, the results are often superb and when they are not it is
usually my fault.

For the car analagy, those who drive the best e.g Rolls Royce, Bentley,
are not over-concerned as to the year of the model, which they drive
everywhere, and the performance and reliability are legendary.

In the studio, the cameras I use are all mechanical- no battery required.
Once you get familiar with such cameras, you can hear and feel that it's
working properly. When I'm shooting for myself, my camera of choice is a
forty year major brand mechanical camera with a wide selection of lenses.
When you get familiar with a mechanical camera, you can usually hear and
feel when it's not functioning properly.

From a distance, you can't tell that my camera and lens is 40 years old, and
from close-up, most people I've asked guess about 20 years old. Those people
are generally also impressed with the weight and feel of the camera.

Old September 17th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Starr

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:29:15 -0700 (PDT), Scott W wrote:

To really get a good analogy it is as if new cars started to get 1,000
miles/gal, but some people just loved the feel of driving an older car
that gets 20/mile. Now don't get me wrong, if your camera is more for
show then use then it really does not matter that you have to pay for
film and processing. If on the other hand you really use your cameras
then that film processing starts to get very expensive indeed.

Scott

How expensive are photo quality printers, paper & ink?

I do all my own film processing & printing; color & B&W. I can process color
film for less than $1.00 per roll. Color 8x10 prints cost me about $0.35 each.
No constant, expensive, software updates. No running out to buy the latest
software that's supposed to make things easier & quicker. No buying a new
camera every year to get the latest & greatest features you "just can't be
without".

Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Speak softly and carry a loaded .45
Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
Web Site: www.destarr.com
Old September 19th 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

A couple of years ago I would have agree, but after having people sit
through 300-400 slides three or four times I realized that I did not
put in nearly enough photos, ideally someone watching the show would
be able to watch for as long as they might want and not see a photo
repeat, I really thougth 300-400 photos would have been enough, turns
out I was way under.

These people who watch a 300-400 slide show program of a canoe
race...is the alternative having a root canal done by a cross-eyed
dentist with palsy?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 19th 08, 08:07 PM
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Member

With my totally mechanical Horizon 202 swing lens panoramic everything about the feel of it gives doubt as to whether it is working (frames often overlap) and, if it is, that it won't for much longer. Buit the non-overlapping results are stunning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hart1 View Post
[...]

From a distance, you can't tell that my camera and lens is 40 years old, and
Old September 29th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Harold Gough wrote:
With my totally mechanical Horizon 202 swing lens panoramic everything
about the feel of it gives doubt as to whether it is working (frames
often overlap) and, if it is, that it won't for much longer. Buit the
non-overlapping results are stunning.

is that MF or 35mm?
http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/horizon202/

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old October 23rd 08, 11:50 AM
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Member

Smile

Anyone know where I can get colour Daguerrotype plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noons View Post
Scott W wrote,on my timestamp of 16/09/2008 6:58 AM:

Over all I agree that getting out and taking photos is far more
important then what one uses to take the photographs. But this is an
equipment forum after all, so some discussion on what photographic
equipment makes sense here.

Sure, no problem. Let's leave it at discussion of
digital or discussion of film, where appropriate.
To try and deride one over the other, I'm afraid
doesn't score much as "discussion"...

As to film photos being posted, I just found something on pbase of
interest, if you go to the camera data base and then go to Fuji, at
the bottom them have user images taken with different Fuji films, the
same is true of Kodak and Ilford.

For example here are the photos from people using Ilford films,
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/ilford

Cool! Thanks a lot, an invaluable resource.
I use this one a lot in flickr, for MF:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/120/pool/
Not as well split by film type, but huge
amount to go through.

Well... film may not be dead, but around these parts I see almost none
being used any more.

See? That's what you get for living in a backwater...
(just kiding!)

For me there is little point if 35mm film anymore, MF film still seems
to have a use, it is still not easy for to beat the resolution of a
6x7 or 6x9 format camera with an afordable digital camera.

Two generations from now, it'll be very near.
If 35mm dslrs survive that long in their current
format:
http://www.bythom.com/
read the bit about "other developments"...
This is along the lines of what I see as well.

I reckon in the medium term, aps-c dslrs as we know
them will mostly vanish, replaced by much more convenient
EVIL cams. The ones left will be the top of the line
"pro" FX dslr gear. With rez approaching MF. Which
will then be more convenient than existing MF film, of
course.

The *real* trend imho is for miniaturization,
with weight a major consideration. In the consumer
volume market. Of course there will always be
enthusiasts prepared to haul around a cartwheel
of equipment. And guess what? 4X5 as well!

example. My tripod and tripod heads cost more then a new DLSR, and
you could get two nice DSLRs for the cost of my 300mm lens. And this
is as it should be, the tripod and lenses I will use for many years to
come, the body will last me 3-4 years.

If FX takes off to 25-35MP, you and I *will*
need new lenses all over again...
Fortunately, I'm perfectly happy with
16MP tops: don't need anymore even if available.
Old October 23rd 08, 11:58 AM
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Member

Both. It is fixed focus (28mm) and uses the full height of the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Furman View Post