Newbie question on digital filters

Old July 20th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Clive[_2_]

Default Newbie question on digital filters

Being a recent convert from 35mm film (2xCanon A1) to digital. On my
film cameras I keep Skylight 1B filters on all the time.

I've noticed thay filter manufacturers offer 'digital' filters i.e.
looking at the Hoya Pro 1D range for my new K10D.

MY question is - am I better with the filters specifically for digital
lenses/cameras, or can I use Skylight 1B filters (mainly to protect my
lenses) - I will be buying new lenses for my K10D.

Thanks

Clive
Old July 20th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Paseur[_3_]

am I better with the filters specifically for digital

Clive, you can keep your 1-B filters. I happen to use UV haze filters on
my lenses, but it's also only to protect the lens. Any color differences
you might see (or might not see!) are easily corrected in white balance.
Old July 20th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
george[_2_]

"Clive" wrote in message
. ..
Being a recent convert from 35mm film (2xCanon A1) to digital. On my film
cameras I keep Skylight 1B filters on all the time.

I've noticed thay filter manufacturers offer 'digital' filters i.e.
looking at the Hoya Pro 1D range for my new K10D.

MY question is - am I better with the filters specifically for digital
lenses/cameras, or can I use Skylight 1B filters (mainly to protect my
lenses) - I will be buying new lenses for my K10D.

Thanks

Clive

A skylight filter is slightly pinkish to filter out the bluish tinted light
found in shady outdoor areas. Digital filters (for protection purposes) are
optically neutral, i.e., clear, flat glass. Digital cameras allow for
"white balance" within the camera and so does image processing software like
PhotoShop. By adding one more (unnecessary) variable (what the filter is
doing to the light), you are just making things a little more difficult.
Yes, you CAN do what you suggest...but you probably don't want to.

George

Old July 20th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

george wrote:

"Clive" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I disagree (mildly). It is better to color correct with filters
than it is later digitally because by color balancing the light
using a filter, you maximize signal-to-noise ratios. If you
digitally post process and the resulting color balance requires
a large boost in one channel, you also boost noise.

Having said that, if you are using a high signal-to-noise ratio
DSLR, you can get away with a fair amount of color balance,
especially at low ISO. If you are using a small pixel size
camera or high ISO then post processing color balance will
be less forgiving.

For the OP, more important than digital or traditional 1B filter
is to get supercoated filters to reduce reflections from
the filter to the front lens element. Many modern lens designs
have an almost flat fron element, making reflections more
of a problem than with older lenses. Many Canon EOS lenses
have this issue.

Roger
Old July 21st 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

george wrote:

"Clive" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I'll disagree (mildly) with that, and toss in an "it depends".

Your reason is sound, when circumstances and desired results call for
it, but the conclusion that it's ALWAYS better to color-correct with
filters is flawed... simply because, if your filter work turns out
"wrong", it's a lot harder to "undo".

Example: you put a red filter on to darken the sky and foliage... then
discover later that it's too dark, that you want more green in the
picture. Lot harder to do that since you've effectively removed most of
the green before the shot was even taken.

If the only way to control the exposure of the sky to avoid
over-exposing it or under-exposing the surroundings is with a filter,
that's a circumstance where your reasoning does apply. But really,
that's an exception, rather than the rule.

Old July 21st 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Matt Ion wrote:
george wrote:

I disagree (mildly). It is better to color correct with filters
than it is later digitally because by color balancing the light
using a filter, you maximize signal-to-noise ratios. If you
digitally post process and the resulting color balance requires
a large boost in one channel, you also boost noise.

I'll disagree (mildly) with that, and toss in an "it depends".

Your reason is sound, when circumstances and desired results call for
it, but the conclusion that it's ALWAYS better to color-correct with
filters is flawed... simply because, if your filter work turns out
"wrong", it's a lot harder to "undo".

Well, there certainly is no substitute for stupidity. ;-)

The OP came from film world where you had to choose the
right color correction filters, or you basically lost
the shot, especially with slide film. It's no worse with
digital.

Roger