Newbie question

Old July 24th 04, 09:02 PM
General Martok

Default Newbie question

Aproximately how many images can I store on a 3 megapixel camera that uses
128mb compact flash?
Old July 24th 04, 09:06 PM
David J Taylor

General Martok wrote:
Aproximately how many images can I store on a 3 megapixel camera that
uses 128mb compact flash?

Depends on the level of JPEG compression. Your images might be as small
as 400KB, so you could get about 300 per 128MB card. Less compression -
fewer images per card.

Cheers,
David

Old July 24th 04, 09:13 PM
Matt Ion

"General Martok" wrote in message
. uk...
Aproximately how many images can I store on a 3 megapixel camera that uses
128mb compact flash?

Depends entirely on the quality of the stored images. Most cameras use some
level of JPEG compression, and usually that or the image size is
user-selectable. My Kodak 3.2MP camera for example, stores images as JPGs
averaging a little over 1MB, allowing about 180 pics on a 256MB card at full
resolution (2080x1544). The lowest quality setting stores at 1024x768 and
will fit almost 900 pics on the 256MB card.

Old July 24th 04, 10:01 PM
Skip M

"General Martok" wrote in message
. uk...
Aproximately how many images can I store on a 3 megapixel camera that uses
128mb compact flash?

Full res JPEG, about 90, depending on ISO and other factors.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old July 24th 04, 10:39 PM
dylan

Depends on quality, size and picture content if compressed. My Canon G1,
3.3MP, usually stores images between 1 and 2.5MB per image on the largest
and highest quality JPEGs. So if the average is 1.75MB the max is 73 in
128MB. If you use smaller images and lower quality you can get more.