Newbie Question about F Stops and Apertures

Old January 14th 06, 10:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography

Default Newbie Question about F Stops and Apertures

Hi Hoover, If you dont mind me asking what camera are you using?

"Hoover" wrote in message
Sorry, guess my question was confusing - I'm such a newbie that I don't
even know how to set the f-stops. Does the camera have to be set on
manual?

"Gene Palmiter" wrote in message
I would add that in many cases specular highlights like lights on streets,
Christmas tree decorations, fireworks are as bright as daylight. If that
is what you want to be exposed correctly then don't use the lower
f-stop...use one appropriate for daylight. For fireworks or moving cars
where you want streaks us a remote button and expose for a few seconds.
Now that we have digital and can check our work its a lot easier.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

"Hoover" wrote in message
newsTBxf.114151$oG.16287@dukeread02...
I'm still trying to figure out what this means and how to set it. If
I'm shooting pix at night, with little background light, what do I do?
Does the camera have to be set on the manual setting or auto? Then
what? Sorry, but i'm totally confused. thank you

Old January 14th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography

Hoover wrote:
nikon digital d-50

There is an excellent DVD out there for the Nikon D50. You can find it
on Amazon.com or at local camera shops. I've seen it at Kits Camera.
It's called "Nikon D50 Digital SLR DVD - A training video for new to
intromediate camera users" and it's by Blue Crane. Cost is $24.99. I
bought it when I was thinking about getting the D50. It will show you
how to do everything on your camera. There are also quite a few copies
available on eBay.

I think this is what you are looking for and will help you to get
familiar with your camera.

Old January 15th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography

Also, check out Nikonians.org. There is a forum there just for D50
users. Everyone is very friendly and will answer the most basic
questions for you. There are also a number of forums on different types
of photography, equipment, etc.

Carole