"Barreling" problem with Olympus c-5060 HELP!

Old April 18th 05, 10:40 PM
admax

Default "Barreling" problem with Olympus c-5060 HELP!

ISSUE: When we attach the factory-built telephoto lens to the camera
(and we have purchased two telephoto lens) and have the same issue with
them both. The camera leaves a circle around the image when shooting,
capturing and viewing the image on the computer. This does not happen
with the wide angle lens. The issue we understand is known as
"barreling". Can anyone assist us with this?

Old April 18th 05, 11:24 PM
ecm

Actually, "Vignetting". "Barrel distortion" is the mild fish-eye effect
that many cameras exhibit at full wide-angle. Vignetting means that the
lens is not big enough in diameter to allow the image to cover the full
sensor, so you get the corners clipped.

And, yes, it's an issue - the Olympus telephoto extender lenses such as
the TCON-1.7C and TCON-30 are not designed to be used except at full
telephoto; they cause severe vignetting at wider angles. I haven't
heard about any problems with vignetting otherwise, though.

ECM

Old April 19th 05, 03:31 AM
Ron Hunter

admax wrote:
ISSUE: When we attach the factory-built telephoto lens to the camera
(and we have purchased two telephoto lens) and have the same issue with
them both. The camera leaves a circle around the image when shooting,
capturing and viewing the image on the computer. This does not happen
with the wide angle lens. The issue we understand is known as
"barreling". Can anyone assist us with this?

I am not sure what you are seeing, but I don't believe that is what is
meant by 'barrel distortion'. See some camera reviews for examples of
that type of distortion.

--
Ron Hunter
Old April 19th 05, 08:01 AM
Ron Hunter

Jim Townsend wrote:
admax wrote:

ISSUE: When we attach the factory-built telephoto lens to the camera
(and we have purchased two telephoto lens) and have the same issue with
them both. The camera leaves a circle around the image when shooting,
capturing and viewing the image on the computer. This does not happen
with the wide angle lens. The issue we understand is known as
"barreling". Can anyone assist us with this?

It's called vignetting.. It's normal for these types of
teleconverters.

The lenses are optimized to increase the magnification
of the existing camera lens. You shouldn't be seeing
this when you're zoomed to the maximum focal length.

You should only be seeing the black circle when you adjust the
camera lens to the wide angle using the teleconverter. If you
need to shoot wide angle, just take the teleconverter off :-)

Or crop the resulting photo in post-processing....

--
Ron Hunter