Newbie question CR2 Files

Old February 22nd 05, 12:47 PM

Default Newbie question CR2 Files

A friend took some photos for me and gave me the digital data with 2
files for each image-- typically a JPG file 2.96 MB, and its larger
CR2 file of 10.5 MB. When I look at the image info on these 2 files
in IrfanView here is the data I see:

JPEG
300 x 300 DPI
3504 x 2336 (8.9 Mpixels)
11.7 x 7.8" print size
16.7 million colors (24 bits/pixel)
#colors 72,643
disk size 2.96 MB
mem size 23.4 MB

CR2 File
0 x 0 DPI (but after I insert 300x300, it gives the print size below)
1536 x 1024 (1.57 Mpixels)
5.1" x 3.4" print size
16.7 million colors (24 bits/pixel)
48,748 #colors
disk size 10.5 MB
mem size 4.5 MB

My question: Why does the CR2 file (which is a much larger disk file)
have a smaller print size than the JPG at the same DPI? I've seen
that IrfanView also has a plug-in (which I don't have yet) or some
extra DLL's for viewing CR2 files. Could this account for the
difference? If I download and install these, should I see a larger
print size for the CR2? Thanks for any info.

RGB

Old February 22nd 05, 03:45 PM
Bill Hilton

Why does the CR2 file (which is a much larger disk file)
have a smaller print size than the JPG at the same DPI?

CR2 is the RAW file format for Canon 20D and 1D Mark II dSLR's, you
need to convert them from RAW format to tiff or jpeg before it's
meaningful.