The Feds Can Now (Probably) Unlock Every iPhone Model In Existence

Old March 1st 18, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

Default The Feds Can Now (Probably) Unlock Every iPhone Model In Existence

nospam wrote:

You may want to re-think your concept of "physical security" since we're
talking about /radio/ waves, where it's impossible to have physical
security of what transpires over those radio waves.

nearly all data on a smartphone is encrypted *if* it's sent over the
air. quite a bit of data never leaves the phone. ever.

Let's give up because you have no concept of even the simplest of things
about meta data and where you can only spout exactly what Brand X marketing
has told you to spout.
Old March 1st 18, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

nospam wrote:

not using modern encryption techniques, they didn't.

You think an adversary is going to go frontal (which is /exactly/ what
Brand X marketing has fed you), when there are /plenty/ of weak links by
side channels.

I'm not ever saying that encryption isn't a good thing (as it makes frontal
attacks more expensive); what I'm saying is the obvious fact that /all/
consumer grade mobile phones suffer from the same set of weakest links.

So, even as Brand X marketing makes its admittedly gullible and very loyal
and trusting customer base /feel/ safe, they're actually /not/ safe, just
as the little boy feels safe when his mom tells him that closing the closet
door will keep the monsters out.
Old March 1st 18, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
nospam

In article , ultred
ragnusen wrote:

not using modern encryption techniques, they didn't.

You think an adversary is going to go frontal (which is /exactly/ what
Brand X marketing has fed you), when there are /plenty/ of weak links by
side channels.

on android, yes. on ios, no.
Old March 1st 18, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Davoud

Barry Margolin:
Security isn't binary, it's a continuum. No one is completely safe, but
if there's less information on your phone, the danger from the
government cracking it is lower. And if the phone has better encryption,
then you're more safe.

This conversation entirely misses the point. As I have pointed out, the
"threat" does not come from the US government, which is utterly
uninterested in what you do on-line.

Amazon, Facebook, Google, and myriad other commercial enterprises, on
the other hand, are very much interested in what you are doing on-line
and they have the means of tracking you. Got a medical condition and
using the Internet to learn more about it? Noted. Interested in buying
a car? Noted. Traveling? Location and dates noted.* In fact, anything
and everything that could conceivably enable a commercial enterprise
make a few pennies from your personal information is noted.

But it's not on a list under your name that someone prints out and has
fun reading; printer paper is not sold in 1000km rolls. The data is in
a virtually instantaneous computer-to-computer transaction in which an
intermediary enables targeted ads on your Internet-connected devices. A
few days ago I googled air fares to London. Within *seconds* web pages
that I visited were peppered with ads for airlines, rental cars, and
hotels.

*Travel: if you have an E-ZPass or equivalent the issuer knows every
time you go through a toll booth. For that matter, authorities know
when you go through a toll booth even if you choose to use a slow lane;
your license plate is read by a camera.

How it is that the paranoids ignore commercial trackers and worry about
a disinterested government, I do not know. But then, I'm not paranoid.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old March 1st 18, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Davoud

ultred ragnusen:
My last related job was decades ago running a series of FFT algorithms on
aerial photos in order to recognize specifically shaped man-made objects,
but I admit that was decades ago at Fort Mead.

If you can't even spell "Ft. Meade" I am suspicious of your claim that
you worked there.

Old March 2nd 18, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

JF Mezei wrote:

NSA has widespread data collections that do collect anyone's
communications, they just can't "target" a USA citizen (aka: do a search
through the trove of data for a US citizens comms without FISA).

Bear in mind the hair triggers that are used in various go'bment
organizations to /begin/ that targeting, from merely visiting the Tails
site to merely making a phone call overseas, to merely depositing or merely
withdrawing more than 10K in cash at your local bank.

This isn't a case of the government monitoring ME. It is a case of them
collecting my communications in bulk, and when doing searches for
something unreleated, my stuff might come up.

Exactly. Those ubiquitous FBI Cessnas, for example, are collecting bulk
data, which shows that Lewis' IMEI, for example, was at his boyfriend
BKatOnRamp's house whose IMEI itself was at the AIDS clinic where they met
with Jolly Roger's IMEI for a tete e' tete.

If I make a joke about centrifuges in my basement to make a nuclear
device, and this is collected, then someone doing a search for
terrorists in USA planning to detonate nuke would pull up my joke. It is
then up to an analyst to determine this is of no value and dismiss it.

Yup. They have /direct/ taps into all the major Internet trunks, where they
vacuum up /everything/ they can, with their massive data servers.

Then they sift, sift, sift....

Never forget something as simple as the Zimmermmann telegram, or the German
Enigma, or JN24, or Rommel's bigmouth in Cairo, etc., where you realize
even extremely well funded and tremendously well motivated organizations
are summarily penetrated (in the Cairo case, simply by opening up a safe in
his office when the American diplomat was sleeping at his hotel).
Old March 2nd 18, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

Davoud wrote:

If you can't even spell "Ft. Meade" I am suspicious of your claim that
you worked there.

See my prior response to nospam on that...
Old March 2nd 18, 02:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

nospam wrote:

not using modern encryption techniques, they didn't.

You think an adversary is going to go frontal (which is /exactly/ what
Brand X marketing has fed you), when there are /plenty/ of weak links by
side channels.

on android, yes. on ios, no.

I make these valid and logical points, both of which you exhibit, as do
hundreds of millions of innocents...

1. Apple marketing /wants/ you to think your adversary will go frontal with
an insanely expensive brute-force attack - which is what makes you /feel/
safe - but which isn't how they'll go since there are /plenty/ of weak
links in /all/ consumer-grade mobile phones.

2. You think, because of the above, that brand X phones are, somehow,
magically, immune to all those weak links, which is a pacifying fiction
that is what I term your belief system built upon a house of cards.

3. Even with the above, /all/ existing ciphers have been or will be broken
(but we won't know this until 50 years after the fact, just as we didn't
know that Roosevelt knew that Japan was making peace overtures to Stalin
not only months before, but as close as the day before the Russians
attacked and our allies, the Russians, never bothered to tell us this
salient fact).

These are merely logical outcomes of valid verified facts.
Old March 2nd 18, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

Davoud wrote:

This conversation entirely misses the point. As I have pointed out, the
"threat" does not come from the US government, which is utterly
uninterested in what you do on-line.

You bring up a valid point, which is that the US Government is probably one
of the minor threats we US citizens face - but it's one whom we /pay/
hard-earned dollars to /protect/ us, where they take the easy way out by
surveiling us instead.

Amazon, Facebook, Google, and myriad other commercial enterprises, on
the other hand, are very much interested in what you are doing on-line
and they have the means of tracking you.

True that.

Again, the weak link in /all/ consumer mobile devices is the same in this
case in that Amazon isn't ever going to go frontal with a brute-force
attack on nospam's vaunted encryption algorithm, which forms the imaginary
basis of his entire belief system.

Got a medical condition and
using the Internet to learn more about it? Noted. Interested in buying
a car? Noted. Traveling? Location and dates noted.* In fact, anything
and everything that could conceivably enable a commercial enterprise
make a few pennies from your personal information is noted.

True dat.

Everything is tied together by the commercial aggregators, such that the
metadata /is/ the data, where, again, I simply posit that, despite the
brand X marketing mantra that nospam loves to spew, /all/ consumer-grade
mobile devices suffer from the same set of weak links.

But it's not on a list under your name that someone prints out and has
fun reading; printer paper is not sold in 1000km rolls. The data is in
a virtually instantaneous computer-to-computer transaction in which an
intermediary enables targeted ads on your Internet-connected devices.

True that.

And, worse, the data is /stored/ somewhere, where it makes a juicy cache
for someone /else/ to steal.

As I recall, even your debug logs to Microsoft were being intercepted and
stored, and sifted through for data such as your Ethernet MAC address (I'd
have to look that one up).

Hence, I posit, the weak link in /all/ consumer-grade computing devices is
the same, despite brand X's admittedly obvious attempt to make it's loyal
but extremely gullible customers believe that a frontal brute-force attack
is the main danger.

A few days ago I googled air fares to London. Within *seconds* web pages
that I visited were peppered with ads for airlines, rental cars, and
hotels.

True that. The solution is difficult but it's like the solution to the most
common cause of brake judder - which isn't to change the hardware or
software, but to change your browsing habits (e.g., VPN, proxy, nyms,
headers, etc.).

*Travel: if you have an E-ZPass or equivalent the issuer knows every
time you go through a toll booth. For that matter, authorities know
when you go through a toll booth even if you choose to use a slow lane;
your license plate is read by a camera.

Yup. I once got a ticket for being in a lane on i580 near Livermore that I
didn't even know was a toll lane, as the highway must be 8 lanes wide on
each side at that point, so I was just cruising along with no traffic
visible in the photo at a non-commute time.

The ticket was based merely off my license plate since there's no way I'd
ever have those electronic payment systems in my vehicle. (I wonder, if you
have one, can you easily turn it off? Or do you have to Faraday it?)

How it is that the paranoids ignore commercial trackers and worry about
a disinterested government, I do not know. But then, I'm not paranoid.

I'm not sure whom you're speaking about, but I agree with all your
sentiments, where you have to remember almost all the responses from me
were regarding nospam's marketing-inspired allegation that Brand X phones
are safer simply because of the expense of the frontal attack, which would
only realistically be done by a gobment organization.

Outside of nospam's obvious blind allegiance to Brand X marketing mantra,
you'll see me exhibit the same sentiment you do, which is that the threat
is from a wealth of well-funded sources, such that no phone line is any
safer than any other.

All you can do to combat this threat is constant "privacy hygiene", such as
changing IP addresses, changing nyms and email addresses, changing IMEI
numbers, changing locations, providing false data, changing your
vernacular, etc.

Privacy is expensive.
Old March 2nd 18, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
nospam

In article , ultred
ragnusen wrote:

changing IMEI