The Feds Can Now (Probably) Unlock Every iPhone Model In Existence

Old March 1st 18, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
PeterN[_7_]

Default The Feds Can Now (Probably) Unlock Every iPhone Model InExistence

On 3/1/2018 10:02 AM, ultred ragnusen wrote:
Davoud wrote:

As for the safety of phones, what I might or might not know about that
is not for your eyes. In essence, the safety of your mobile phone lies
in the fact that no one is listening. You and your communications are
of no importance to the intelligence community.

You /wish/ that were the case the our government doesn't illegally spy on
our citizens, but you have to remember /many/ a president has broken the
Constitution by ordering our own government to spy on our citizens,
illegally.

Take, for example, the well-known fact of what J. Edgar Hoover did over a
series of presidencies, or that Lyndon Johnson ordered the spying of
anti-war demonstrators.

Also take, for example, those Cessnas flying daily over our cities,
scooping up the IMEIs and locations of tens of thousands of innocent people
in each flight.

Bear in mind that the actual communication (the very words spoken and the
texts sent) of law-abiding US citizens are also scooped up very often by
the intelligence community, e.g., on any overseas telephone call to your
own grandchildren as they travel abroad.

Back to the main point, there is no communication device that is secure.
None. Anyone who thinks they have security should just read the Zimmermann
telegram, or read about the Purple or JN24 or the black code or ultra
enigma communications or even the Cairo diplomatic cables of WWII infamy,
where entire extremely well motivated and well funded government
bureaucracies /thought/ that their communications were secure, which made
them /feel/ safe, just as the owners of brand X mobile devices are made to
/feel/ safe, that feeling for which they pay through the nose, and which is
vapor.

All this doesn't mean we should give up on security; it just means that no
mobile device is secure when all of them have the same weak links.

This will help you:
https://www.amazon.com/Electro-Deflecto/b/ref=w_bl_sl_ap_ap_web_15111668011?ie=UTF8&node=151 11668011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Electro+Deflecto

--
PeterN
Old March 1st 18, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Barry Margolin

In article ,
ultred ragnusen wrote:

My main point is that /all/ cellphones have the same set of weakest links
where anyone who actually /feels/ safe because the excellent
M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G of the brand made them /feel/ safe, is a fool.

Security isn't binary, it's a continuum. No one is completely safe, but
if there's less information on your phone, the danger from the
government cracking it is lower. And if the phone has better encryption,
then you're more safe.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA
Old March 1st 18, 05:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

PeterN wrote:

All this doesn't mean we should give up on security; it just means that no
mobile device is secure when all of them have the same weak links.

This will help you:
https://www.amazon.com/Electro-Deflecto/b/ref=w_bl_sl_ap_ap_web_15111668011?ie=UTF8&node=151 11668011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Electro+Deflecto

That's humorous, so if I take that only in the humorous light, no response
is needed.

However, you'll note that I simply stated that no consumer mobile device is
secure, simply because they all have the same weak links.

In addition, I proved extremely well documented examples of where entire
government bureaucracies /thought/ they were safe, when they were clearly
not.

Those are simply facts.

If the tin-foil hat was merely meant as humor, then that's fine; but if the
hat was meant to imply an undue fear of the facts, then you missed the
point, because I'm the one who is reasonable and logical in presenting well
verified facts.
Old March 1st 18, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
nospam

In article , ultred ragnusen
wrote:

Forget black helicopters, FBI flying surveillance Cessnas over US cities.

they can fly them all they want, but all they'll get is encrypted data,
which will take a few few billion years to brute force.
Old March 1st 18, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
nospam

In article , ultred
ragnusen wrote:

However, you'll note that I simply stated that no consumer mobile device is
secure, simply because they all have the same weak links.

that is false.
Old March 1st 18, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

Barry Margolin wrote:

Security isn't binary, it's a continuum. No one is completely safe, but
if there's less information on your phone, the danger from the
government cracking it is lower. And if the phone has better encryption,
then you're more safe.

You bring up a logical but potentially fallacious argument.

It's sort of like saying pregnancy isn't binary, or that death isn't
binary, since there are stages to both.

More to the point, it's sort of like saying that a chain isn't only as
strong as its weakest link, where anyone who wants to break the chain will
simply attack the weakest link.

Hence, here's a philosophical question for you to ponder, given your
statement that security isn't binary.

Q: What is the relative immunity of successful penetration by an adversary
who is attacking two mobile phones, where both mobile phones have the exact
same weakest link?

Is that a binary answer, or not?
Old March 1st 18, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

nospam wrote:

Forget black helicopters, FBI flying surveillance Cessnas over US cities.

they can fly them all they want, but all they'll get is encrypted data,
which will take a few few billion years to brute force.

You wish.
Old March 1st 18, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
ultred ragnusen

nospam wrote:

However, you'll note that I simply stated that no consumer mobile device is
secure, simply because they all have the same weak links.

that is false.

You don't even /know/ what those weak links are.

C'mon. We've asked you to back up your assertions, and you can't.

What is the weakest link in /all/ consumer mobile phones?

I'll wait for your answer....

I'm still waiting...
Old March 1st 18, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
nospam

In article , ultred
ragnusen wrote:

Q: What is the relative immunity of successful penetration by an adversary
who is attacking two mobile phones, where both mobile phones have the exact
same weakest link?

except that they aren't the same.

everything on an iphone is encrypted and for all intents, impossible to
crack.

cracking encryption on android phones is child's play. most of them
aren't even encrypted because it slows the phone down too much.
Old March 1st 18, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
nospam

In article , ultred
ragnusen wrote:

However, you'll note that I simply stated that no consumer mobile device is
secure, simply because they all have the same weak links.

that is false.

You don't even /know/ what those weak links are.

not only do i know what they are, but i know what's needed to crack
iphone encryption. you do not.

all you do is spew nonsense about planes flying overhead (which doesn't
actually happen) that scan for imeis, which won't do a damned thing to
crack the encryption on the phone itself.

for that, you need the passcode, which if it's complex, will take a few
billion years to crack, and the imei won't help you at all,