Best software for panoramic stitching and adding borders?

Old April 25th 07, 08:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Luttrell

Default Best software for panoramic stitching and adding borders?

Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

Old April 25th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:30:53 -0700, Luttrell wrote:

Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

I've done panorama using the hugin suite - works quite well. Recently GIMP
has added a built in panorama utility - it seems to work reasonably well
too. I think GIMP should be able to do borders - I've never had the urge
to try.

Old April 25th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill[_3_]

On 25 Apr 2007 00:30:53 -0700, Luttrell wrote:

Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

Check out free Autostitch at:

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Although it says demo and the trial will expire, you can simply
download the latest release and keep on going. I've been using it for
a couple of years.

HTH
Bill

Old April 26th 07, 05:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randy Berbaum

Bill wrote:
: On 25 Apr 2007 00:30:53 -0700, Luttrell wrote:

: Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

: Check out free Autostitch at:

: http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

: Although it says demo and the trial will expire, you can simply
: download the latest release and keep on going. I've been using it for
: a couple of years.

: HTH
: Bill

A second vote for Autostitch. One advantage I have found is that I can
make several smaller sections that can then be stitched into a larger pano
later. No other stitching software I have tried has been able to stitch
multi image "sub panos". The other disadvantage I have found is that you
have no manual control so when it works it works fantastic, but when it
gets confused (very rare) there is no help for it. But as free software,
It can't be beat. And if you don't like it, you aren't out anything.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old April 26th 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert A. Cunningham

"Luttrell" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

Well, I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but the "Panorama Maker 3"
software that came with my FZ30 did an excellent job of stitching together
10-8 meg photos of the eastern side of the Sierra Mountains. I was quite
impressed by the ease of use, and the professional results.

Robert Cunningham

Old April 26th 07, 10:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Apr 25, 5:30 pm, Luttrell wrote:
Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

Ptgui (not free) seems to get the most good reports, and then Hugin
(free). I'll be trying them shortly. I'm sure others here can give
further details, or you might want to do the right thing and search
past postings - there are plenty.

A lot of folk recommend Autostitch, but I can't. It crashes
frequently and erratically with my (admittedly quite large and
detailed) images - and when it does succeed, its occasional mismatches
just leave me scratching my head, because the user can't really
control the result (unless I'm missing something and heaven knows I've
experimented, read the readme's, forum posts, etc).. If your needs
are modest, it may be ok and is worth a try at that price (free),
however.