hi gang any linux users here

Old December 24th 04, 07:55 PM
Mr Jessop

Default hi gang any linux users here

Just installed linux suse 9.1. before all the smart alec replies yes i have
posted to appropriate groups. As i am more photographer than tec guy i hope
i would get advice on a level i understand. alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
are full of sarcastic ******s. I just tried alt.linux,suse and
alt.os.linux.suse.

I have a basic install but my cable modem didn't auto detect.
The linux browser doesn't seem to want to display thumbnails either. There
doesn't seem to be a working previewer such as in windows xp. The only
working program is the gimp. That seems to be unstable too.

Old December 24th 04, 08:31 PM
Nick Zentena

Mr Jessop wrote:
Just installed linux suse 9.1. before all the smart alec replies yes i have
posted to appropriate groups. As i am more photographer than tec guy i hope
i would get advice on a level i understand. alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
are full of sarcastic ******s. I just tried alt.linux,suse and
alt.os.linux.suse.

I have a basic install but my cable modem didn't auto detect.

Odds are it doesn't need to be. I don't know what ISP you're using but
chances are all you have to do is setup your network. Best place would be to
ask in your ISPs support groups if they have them. What kind of connection?
If it's ethernet did it find your card?

The linux browser doesn't seem to want to display thumbnails either. There

Which one? Odds are you've got konqueror installed. How about Mozilla or
firefox? Konqueror should show thumnails but it'll take a bit of time to
create them if the dir is full.

doesn't seem to be a working previewer such as in windows xp. The only
working program is the gimp. That seems to be unstable too.

Kind of hard to have only one working program on a linux system.

Once you get setup to connect to the net you'll find a few upgrades to
download. 9.1 is now an older version.

Nick

Old December 24th 04, 08:39 PM
Siddhartha Jain

Mr Jessop wrote:
Just installed linux suse 9.1. before all the smart alec replies yes

i have
posted to appropriate groups. As i am more photographer than tec guy

i hope
i would get advice on a level i understand.

alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
are full of sarcastic ******s. I just tried alt.linux,suse and
alt.os.linux.suse.

I have a basic install but my cable modem didn't auto detect.
The linux browser doesn't seem to want to display thumbnails either.

There
doesn't seem to be a working previewer such as in windows xp. The

only
working program is the gimp. That seems to be unstable too.

Well, unlike rec.photo.*, on tech forums you are expected to RTFM
before you ask questions.

Lets see, cable modem. Which modem do you have? Whats your Linux kernel
version?

Imaging:
http://www.linux-mag.com/2000-03/graphics_06.html

As for GIMP, its really nice (me being a photo newbie). Funny that you
should find it unstable. I use GIMP on Linux as well as WinXP and it
works just fine.

Moving to Linux, you will find it a bit difficult to get things to work
and it will take time but the choice is much more than Windoze world.
If you prefer more easy to use Linux distros, then try the Linspire
desktop. Its supposed to have all utilities bundled together nicely -
more like Windows.

I, myself, have long moved from using heavy Gnome/KDE to the light
IceWM.

HTH,

Siddhartha

Old December 24th 04, 10:03 PM
Mr Jessop

"Nick Zentena" wrote in message
Mr Jessop wrote:
Just installed linux suse 9.1. before all the smart alec replies yes i
have
posted to appropriate groups. As i am more photographer than tec guy i
hope
i would get advice on a level i understand.
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
are full of sarcastic ******s. I just tried alt.linux,suse and
alt.os.linux.suse.

I have a basic install but my cable modem didn't auto detect.

Odds are it doesn't need to be. I don't know what ISP you're using but
chances are all you have to do is setup your network. Best place would be
ask in your ISPs support groups if they have them. What kind of
connection?
If it's ethernet did it find your card?

It found my ethernet card but the cable guy who came round and installed my
modem hooked it up to my usb hub. However this did allow me to install my
laptop too and share the connection.

The linux browser doesn't seem to want to display thumbnails either.
There

Which one? Odds are you've got konqueror installed. How about Mozilla or
firefox? Konqueror should show thumnails but it'll take a bit of time to
create them if the dir is full.

And there's me thinking mozilla and firefox were solely internet browsers.
Do they do a decent job of file management too?

doesn't seem to be a working previewer such as in windows xp. The only
working program is the gimp. That seems to be unstable too.

Kind of hard to have only one working program on a linux system.

The gimp also failed to work reliably in xp. That turned out to be the swap
file. however the one i used was from a cover cd and the help files weren't
included either. Its bad enough finding anything useful in a helpfile if
you aren't already pretty savvy in the use of a program but not
understanding the files that are supposed to help you download and install
the helpfiles then ya ****ed!

Old December 24th 04, 10:11 PM
Mr Jessop

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mr Jessop wrote:
Just installed linux suse 9.1. before all the smart alec replies yes

i have
posted to appropriate groups. As i am more photographer than tec guy

i hope
i would get advice on a level i understand.

alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
are full of sarcastic ******s. I just tried alt.linux,suse and
alt.os.linux.suse.

I have a basic install but my cable modem didn't auto detect.
The linux browser doesn't seem to want to display thumbnails either.

There
doesn't seem to be a working previewer such as in windows xp. The

only
working program is the gimp. That seems to be unstable too.

Well, unlike rec.photo.*, on tech forums you are expected to RTFM
before you ask questions.

There wasn't one. I did read and reread and then read a few more times the
tiny about of information which the editor managed to spread over two pages
in the end i just said ok to everything and crossed fingers.

Lets see, cable modem. Which modem do you have? Whats your Linux kernel
version?

suse 9.1 as i did actually mention earlier.

Imaging:
http://www.linux-mag.com/2000-03/graphics_06.html

As for GIMP, its really nice (me being a photo newbie). Funny that you
should find it unstable. I use GIMP on Linux as well as WinXP and it
works just fine.

Its not a patch on adobe photoshop. I managed to figure out how to use that
without rtfm just by fiddling with it. The gimp may be alright for complete
newbies but for someone who is used to his third version of a polished
commercial product the gimp leaves alot to be desired.

Moving to Linux, you will find it a bit difficult to get things to work
and it will take time but the choice is much more than Windoze world.
If you prefer more easy to use Linux distros, then try the Linspire
desktop. Its supposed to have all utilities bundled together nicely -
more like Windows.

I, myself, have long moved from using heavy Gnome/KDE to the light
IceWM.

suse has shed loads bundled with it. YAST seems quite powerful but is
sufficiently unlike xp, 98 or partition magic or the xp disk manager that i
didn't get much sense out of the yast partitioning system. Its completely
alien to me. What i need is a friendly windows to linux translation guide.

I must say that the overall response bar one person is that "well why can't
you figure it out for yourself" attitude would be bad enough on windows but
on linux that is so against the "open source we are all friends working
together utopia" that i am already completely turned off the whole project.
You get what you pay for and linux is free say no more!

Old December 24th 04, 10:12 PM
Peter Chant

Nick Zentena wrote:

Odds are it doesn't need to be. I don't know what ISP you're using but
chances are all you have to do is setup your network. Best place would be
to ask in your ISPs support groups if they have them. What kind of
connection? If it's ethernet did it find your card?

If you are using USB to connect to your modem replace it with ethernet as it
will be quicker anyway, plus really easy on linux.

The linux browser doesn't seem to want to display thumbnails either.
There

Which one? Odds are you've got konqueror installed. How about Mozilla or
firefox? Konqueror should show thumnails but it'll take a bit of time to
create them if the dir is full.

Nautilus works as well with thumbnails.

Try kuickshow for another useful image viewer ad imagemgick if you want to
start writing scripts to process images.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Old December 24th 04, 10:27 PM
Peter Chant

Mr Jessop wrote:

Its not a patch on adobe photoshop. I managed to figure out how to use
that
without rtfm just by fiddling with it. The gimp may be alright for
complete newbies but for someone who is used to his third version of a
polished commercial product the gimp leaves alot to be desired.

Which version of the GIMP are you using? 2.0 walks all over earlier
versions, especially with user friendlyness.

Infact, if you note the differences between 1.x and 2.0 it would seem that
GIMP is going to be really interesting indeed as it progresses.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old December 24th 04, 10:29 PM
Peter Chant

Mr Jessop wrote:

It found my ethernet card but the cable guy who came round and installed
my
modem hooked it up to my usb hub. However this did allow me to install my
laptop too and share the connection.

Nooooo...;

That may have been the easy option for the installer but it is the route to
slow broadband. I don't know about now but a year or so ago it was also
the very hard route to getting broadband working on linux as opposed to
ethernet which had been working very well indeed on linux for donkeys
years.

Plug it into the ethernet.

Pete

--