Storing Lithium ion batteries

Old November 13th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
asdf3b

Default Storing Lithium ion batteries

Greetins! I have some extra Lithium ion batteries which I shall not
need till next summer. They are Kodak KLIC 5001 batteries. What are the
best ways to store these batteries? With thanks in advance.

Old November 13th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

asdf3b wrote:

Greetins! I have some extra Lithium ion batteries which I shall not
need till next summer. They are Kodak KLIC 5001 batteries. What are the
best ways to store these batteries? With thanks in advance.

I store all my batteries in thick plastic baggies (Freezer Quality) and
keep them in the refrigerator. If you have some silica gel, you can put
that in too, to absorb any moisture that may diffuse thru the baggie.
Bob Williams

Old November 13th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phil Wheeler

asdf3b wrote:
Greetins! I have some extra Lithium ion batteries which I shall not
need till next summer. They are Kodak KLIC 5001 batteries. What are the
best ways to store these batteries? With thanks in advance.

One view he

http://www.buchmann.ca/Chap10-page6.asp

Google for more.

Phil
Old November 13th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ed Mullikin

My Sony uses lithium batteries and the manual says: "If the battery pack is
not to be used for a long time, do the following procedure once per year to
to maintain proper function:" It goes on to say that the battery should be
fully charged and then fully discharged in the camera. I have two new extra
batteries that I've had for at least two years and they are in the fully
discharged state. Don't know what they will be like if I need them.

Old November 13th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:34:19 -0500, Ed Mullikin wrote:

My Sony uses lithium batteries and the manual says: "If the battery pack is
not to be used for a long time, do the following procedure once per year to
to maintain proper function:" It goes on to say that the battery should be
fully charged and then fully discharged in the camera. I have two new extra
batteries that I've had for at least two years and they are in the fully
discharged state. Don't know what they will be like if I need them.

If you're lucky they'll still be able to be charged, but many
Li-Ion batteries will be unusable when they go that long between
charges. The best thing to do is to immediately try to charge them,
and if they still work, *use them*. Li-Ion batteries deteriorate at
a much higher rate than other battery types even if they aren't
used. Their slogan should be "Use it or lose it!"

Old November 13th 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
George E. Cawthon

asdf3b wrote:
Greetins! I have some extra Lithium ion batteries which I shall not
need till next summer. They are Kodak KLIC 5001 batteries. What are the
best ways to store these batteries? With thanks in advance.

Nikon suggests storing the batteries at or near
room temperature and at partial discharge
Old November 13th 06, 08:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Ed Mullikin wrote:
My Sony uses lithium batteries and the manual says: "If the battery pack is
not to be used for a long time, do the following procedure once per year to
to maintain proper function:" It goes on to say that the battery should be
fully charged and then fully discharged in the camera. I have two new extra
batteries that I've had for at least two years and they are in the fully
discharged state. Don't know what they will be like if I need them.

Pretty darn useless, unless you charge them. Grin.
Old November 13th 06, 08:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

ASAAR wrote:
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:34:19 -0500, Ed Mullikin wrote:

My Sony uses lithium batteries and the manual says: "If the battery pack is
not to be used for a long time, do the following procedure once per year to
to maintain proper function:" It goes on to say that the battery should be
fully charged and then fully discharged in the camera. I have two new extra
batteries that I've had for at least two years and they are in the fully
discharged state. Don't know what they will be like if I need them.

If you're lucky they'll still be able to be charged, but many
Li-Ion batteries will be unusable when they go that long between
charges. The best thing to do is to immediately try to charge them,
and if they still work, *use them*. Li-Ion batteries deteriorate at
a much higher rate than other battery types even if they aren't
used. Their slogan should be "Use it or lose it!"

Yes, I have read the same thing. I dread the day my laptop battery
expires...
Old November 13th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
remove

On 12 Nov 2006 18:01:02 -0800, "asdf3b"
wrote:

Greetins! I have some extra Lithium ion batteries which I shall not
need till next summer. They are Kodak KLIC 5001 batteries. What are the
best ways to store these batteries? With thanks in advance.

Check out:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

Pretty comprehensive site for battery info. Even has a chart for
recoverable capacity after 1 year of storage at various temperatures.

HTH
Bill
Old November 14th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
George E. Cawthon

wrote:

Greetins! I have some extra Lithium ion batteries which I shall not
need till next summer. They are Kodak KLIC 5001 batteries. What are the
best ways to store these batteries? With thanks in advance.

Check out:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

Pretty comprehensive site for battery info. Even has a chart for
recoverable capacity after 1 year of storage at various temperatures.

HTH
Bill

Thanks for the link, pretty much the most
comprehensive information that I have seen.