Inexpensive lens for Canon XT

Old October 18th 10, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

Default Inexpensive lens for Canon XT

charles wrote:
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 16:24:48 -0500, Peabody
wrote:

Well, I just spent a hundred whole dollars buying a used XT, but it
didn't come with a lens.

So I see I can get a 50mm 1.8 at Amazon for $96, which is a new
lens with warranty and free shipping.

But I had kinda wanted an 18-55mm kit lens, preferably the newer
model with IS. But I see these are now about $170 new, and I
really don't want to spend that much on a lens for this camera.

I see on Ebay the same lens available from Korea or similar places
for under $90, some of which claim to be made in Japan. I assume
these have no warranty in the US. What's the general experience
with these lenses? As practical matter, how likely are you to have
a problem with this lens model?

Any words of wisdom here? Anybody have a lens they'd like to sell
to a beginner?

Thanks

Email sent, but I left the spam thing in there, I'll try again, or
contact me.

If you can tolerate something without IS, try an older Canon lens. The older A-series EOS cams came with a nice 28 - 80mm lens that works fairly well on the XT, although not going as wide as is the current trend.

Still, it ends up giving good, mild-zoom results.

They can be picked up cheap used.

Take Care,
Dudley