T Max processing

Old January 1st 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Michael[_6_]

Default T Max processing

I usually don't use T Max but that was all I could get this week at the
local camera store (they DO stock film but are moving soon and have a
reduced stock at the moment). Do I have to use T Max developer or can I
use the old faithful D76. Or is there something else better for T Max?
--
Michael

Old January 2nd 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
____

In article 2008010118110316807-adunc79617@mypacksnet,
Michael wrote:

I usually don't use T Max but that was all I could get this week at the
local camera store (they DO stock film but are moving soon and have a
reduced stock at the moment). Do I have to use T Max developer or can I
use the old faithful D76. Or is there something else better for T Max?

you don't have to anything, if you have not shot the film and its not
pressing to do so I would say read up on it and test it. T max is a very
exposure critical film subject to blown highlights. D76 or HC110 can
certainly be used but a nice dilute developer rather than the 1to1 and B
dilutions, may serve your purposes better. If you meter carefully and
match the developer concentration to your intentions and use filters to
regulate the high end of the exposure, you can get full emulsion speed
from the Tmax films.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old January 2nd 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John[_12_]

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 18:11:03 -0500, Michael
wrote:

Do I have to use T Max developer or can I
use the old faithful D76. Or is there something else better for T Max?
--
Michael

Any developer will work. T-Max developer has no significant
improvements over D-76.

JD
Old January 2nd 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
laura halliday

On Jan 1, 3:11 pm, Michael wrote:
I usually don't use T Max but that was all I could get this week at the
local camera store (they DO stock film but are moving soon and have a
reduced stock at the moment). Do I have to use T Max developer or can I
use the old faithful D76. Or is there something else better for T Max?
--
Michael

All the usual chemistry works; I use HC-110 (B).

I find TMax requires longer fixing times than other films. YMMV.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Non sequitur. Your ACKS are
Grid: CN89mg uncoordinated."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Nomad the Network Engineer
Old January 3rd 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"Michael" wrote in message
I usually don't use T Max but that was all I could get this
week at the local camera store (they DO stock film but are
moving soon and have a reduced stock at the moment). Do I
have to use T Max developer or can I use the old faithful
D76. Or is there something else better for T Max?
--
Michael

The optimum developer is probably Xtol but D-76 works
very well. I use D-76 diluted 1:1 for most T-Max except
where I want the finest possible grain on 35mm and for that
use either Microdol-X or Ilford Perceptol (they are
identical).
T-Max films are somewhat more critical of development
than conventional films. A difference of 20% in time will
result in about a one paper grade difference in contrast
where it takes about a 30% variation for conventional films.
So, be careful of temperature, agitation, and time. Despite
some bad press T-Max is capable of excellent tone rendition
and is quite fine grain compared to most other films of
similar speed. Despite the warning in another reply it is
not more critical of exposure than other films, I think that
person is confusing exposure with development, which _is_
more critical. To insure good shadow detail in any film
rated by the ISO method expose it at about 80% of the box
speed.
Kodak has very complete data sheets for all three T-Max
films on its web site. I strongly suggest reading these over
to get best results.
T-Max developer is a modern liquid concentrate developer
(actually two versions) using the T-Max trade name but not
having any other connection to the film. T-Max and T-Max RS
are excellent pushing developers but are somewhat coarser
grained than D-76. Xtol will deliver about the same speed as
T-Max RS but with finer grain than even D-76. The only
problem with Xtol is that some users have experienced a
sudden failure of the developer after it has aged for a few
days to a few weeks. If you use Xtol check it each time with
a scrap of film to see if its working properly before using
it. No one is sure what causes this problem although there
have been a number of theories from reasonably knowledgible
people.
D-76 remains after some eighty years the standard of
comparison and will give good results with nearly any film.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

RA4 processing Richard J Brawn In The Darkroom 3 February 12th 07 10:18 PM
E6 Processing Rex the Strange In The Darkroom 21 November 29th 05 03:37 PM
Post-Processing RAW vs Post-Processing TIFF Mike Henley Digital Photography 54 January 30th 05 08:26 AM
E6 Processing Mike In The Darkroom 68 December 8th 04 05:14 AM
K14 Processing Joe Thomas Film & Labs 1 December 17th 03 10:04 PM