Does this look like dust on the sensor

Old January 27th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eugene

Default Does this look like dust on the sensor

I was experimenting with a couple of night shots outside and got speckles in
the sky. Is this dust on the mirror/sensor. What do you recon ? Heres the
link to one. http://www.pbase.com/image/73613356

Thanks

Eugene

Old January 27th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin

Eugene wrote:
I was experimenting with a couple of night shots outside and got speckles in
the sky. Is this dust on the mirror/sensor. What do you recon ? Heres the
link to one. http://www.pbase.com/image/73613356

Thanks

Eugene

Most of the bright areas look like over-exposed lights.
The brightest, in the middle, is at the top of what looks
like a lamp post. There are two more in a straight line, at
about a 10 O'clock angle with that bright lamp. They may be
from internal reflections in your lens and/or camera.

I'm assuming you were outdoors when you took the picture.
If you took the picture through a window, there are other
possibilities of reflections.
Old January 27th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Meyer

On Jan 27, 7:08 pm, Marvin wrote:

The brightest, in the middle, is at the top of what looks
like a lamp post. There are two more in a straight line, at
about a 10 O'clock angle with that bright lamp. They may be
from internal reflections in your lens and/or camera.

I'm assuming you were outdoors when you took the picture.
If you took the picture through a window, there are other
possibilities of reflections.

That looks like good reasoning to me. The straight line
connecting all the lights, the relatively even spacing, and
the declining brightness makes these look like reflections.

At any rate, I don't think they could be dust spots on the
sensor. Wouldn't dust spots be dark?

Alan

Old January 27th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eugene

"Alan Meyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 27, 7:08 pm, Marvin wrote:

The brightest, in the middle, is at the top of what looks
like a lamp post. There are two more in a straight line, at
about a 10 O'clock angle with that bright lamp. They may be
from internal reflections in your lens and/or camera.

I'm assuming you were outdoors when you took the picture.
If you took the picture through a window, there are other
possibilities of reflections.

That looks like good reasoning to me. The straight line
connecting all the lights, the relatively even spacing, and
the declining brightness makes these look like reflections.

At any rate, I don't think they could be dust spots on the
sensor. Wouldn't dust spots be dark?

Alan

Thanks for the reply's I breathed a sigh of relief when you both say its not
dust on the sensor. Your probably right in your thoughts of reflection from
the street lights.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Eugene

Old January 27th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article , Eugene
wrote:

"Alan Meyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 27, 7:08 pm, Marvin wrote:

[...]

An even simpler method of putting your mind at rest, instead of relying
on opinions (which I have to say that in this case I agree with) from a
single, complex picture, would be to take a picture of a relatively
even colored and illuminated surface (an all white monitor screen is
good, or a white piece of paper with diffuse lighting) at the smallest
aperture you can set to (and slightly defocused), and look at the test
results. Even more telling is to take that same test image, load it
into Photoshop (or other), and use "autolevels" on it - anything on the
sensor will jump out at you.

No opinions necessary - you'll SEE where/if there is a problem.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old January 27th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Jan 27, 1:45 pm, "Eugene"
wrote:
I was experimenting with a couple of night shots outside and got speckles in
the sky. Is this dust on the mirror/sensor. What do you recon ? Heres the
link to one.http://www.pbase.com/image/73613356

No sir. Those are UFOs. Now that they've spotted you, you're
screwed.

Old January 27th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gregory Blank

In article ,
"Eugene" wrote:

"Alan Meyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for the reply's I breathed a sigh of relief when you both say its not
dust on the sensor. Your probably right in your thoughts of reflection from
the street lights.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Eugene

Its certainly flare, but could be because you have dust on the sensor :^)
Only way to tell is shoot a shot of a blue sky then compare the areas.
Dust will certainly show up.
--
George W. Bush is the President Quayle we never had.
Old January 28th 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bhogi

Eugene wrote:
I was experimenting with a couple of night shots outside and got speckles in
the sky. Is this dust on the mirror/sensor. What do you recon ? Heres the
link to one. http://www.pbase.com/image/73613356

Thanks

Eugene

That looks exactly like reflections from a UV filter you have screwed
on your lens, to screw your night shots

Old January 28th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
LuvLatins

On 27 Jan 2007 17:27:34 -0800, "Bhogi" wrote:

Eugene wrote:
I was experimenting with a couple of night shots outside and got speckles in
the sky. Is this dust on the mirror/sensor. What do you recon ? Heres the
link to one. http://www.pbase.com/image/73613356

Thanks

Eugene

That looks exactly like reflections from a UV filter you have screwed
on your lens, to screw your night shots

I had a UV filter on my Nikon D200 and was in times square at
christmas, I took a shot that had a huge defect on the face of a
subject and thought the camera was defective. After much worry I took
the advice of those on here and took off the filter no more issues,
and that one picture is evidence IMO that those UV filters are just
more trobule then they are worth. I recommend you take the UV filter
off.
Old January 28th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Eugene wrote:
I was experimenting with a couple of night shots outside and got speckles in
the sky. Is this dust on the mirror/sensor. What do you recon ? Heres the
link to one. http://www.pbase.com/image/73613356

Probably not. The classic case to show dust on the sensor at its worst
is an exposure of a bright field like the sky, stopped way down (like
f/22). What you've got is pretty much the opposite of that, so if it
*is* showing dust you've got an entire dust-bunny! But other people's
suggestions about what you're seeing sound reasonable to me, too.