Why all the noise about noise?

Old October 3rd 09, 11:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_11_]

Default Why all the noise about noise?

"Chris Malcolm" wrote in message
[]
Since the detail is more in the luminance, and chromatic noise is
usually much more objectionable, a good noise reduction tool should
have the option of reducing chromatic noise and luminance noise to
different degrees.

--
Chris Malcolm

Paint Shop Pro doesn't have exactly that, but it does have different
degrees of correction for what it describes as small, medium and large
noise, which refer to different spatial frequencies. It also allows for a
variable amount of blend of the correction, and a variable amount of
sharpening afterwards. For a low-cost program - most versatile.

Cheers,
David

Old October 3rd 09, 11:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_11_]

"Chris Malcolm" wrote in message
David J Taylor wrote:

[]
Putting it mildly, I would be disappointed to find that I had to buy
add-ons to provide functionality missing from a $600 program.

To avoid serious disappointment then I suggest you be very careful not
to look too hard :-)

[]
Chris Malcolm

With all the hype about Photoshop, which I regard as an expensive program,
I expect that it would include at least something as basic as digital
camera noise reduction, considering that the much lower cost, and now
obsolete, Paint Shop Pro 10 does. I'm taking Alan's word that it does
not.

I do sometimes prefer a toolbox approach to software - using or buying
components which meet my own needs, rather than a massive, difficult to
learn, uncreative suite.

David

Old October 3rd 09, 12:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_3_]

David J Taylor wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:

Putting it mildly, I would be disappointed to find that I had to buy
add-ons to provide functionality missing from a $600 program.

To avoid serious disappointment then I suggest you be very careful not
to look too hard :-)

With all the hype about Photoshop, which I regard as an expensive program,
I expect that it would include at least something as basic as digital
camera noise reduction, considering that the much lower cost, and now
obsolete, Paint Shop Pro 10 does. I'm taking Alan's word that it does
not.

FFS you guys, stop being so gullible. :- ) There are four noise reduction
tools installed with Photoshop CS4 under the Filter | Noise menu, and one
Add Noise tool.

Old October 3rd 09, 12:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_11_]

"Wilba" wrote in message
[]
FFS you guys, stop being so gullible. :- ) There are four noise
reduction tools installed with Photoshop CS4 under the Filter | Noise
menu, and one Add Noise tool.

As I don't have any version of Photoshop I can hardly be expected to know
what is, or is not, on the menus. I took Alan at his word.

David

Old October 3rd 09, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troll Amplifier[_2_]

On 3 Oct 2009 09:42:26 GMT, Chris Malcolm wrote:

David J Taylor wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
[]
Good one. Are you happy? No it doesn't. You have to buy 3rd party
s/w. Maybe Adobe are being bribed to keep it out?

I tried one of the noise reduction programs and found it to make things
too smooth (in plain areas) and wipe out fine detail in other areas.
Gave up on it. (Noise Ninja I believe...).

Yes, I'm happy with Paint Shop Pro 10, and I'm very surprised that the
very expensive Adobe program does not offer such a noise-reduction
facility. PSP's NR seems to work well.

As I said, I find it best to compare with and without NR. Sometimes it's
best to leave the grain for a "newsy" effect, other times the noise,
particularly if it's coloured noise, can be slightly objectionable.

Since the detail is more in the luminance, and chromatic noise is
usually much more objectionable, a good noise reduction tool should
have the option of reducing chromatic noise and luminance noise to
different degrees.

"... should have ..."?!?!?

They all do.

Proof again, that you're nothing but an armchair-photographer troll who's
never used anything associated with photography, including cameras.

Old October 3rd 09, 04:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Wilba wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
Putting it mildly, I would be disappointed to find that I had to buy
add-ons to provide functionality missing from a $600 program.
To avoid serious disappointment then I suggest you be very careful not
to look too hard :-)

With all the hype about Photoshop, which I regard as an expensive program,
I expect that it would include at least something as basic as digital
camera noise reduction, considering that the much lower cost, and now
obsolete, Paint Shop Pro 10 does. I'm taking Alan's word that it does
not.

FFS you guys, stop being so gullible. :- ) There are four noise reduction
tools installed with Photoshop CS4 under the Filter | Noise menu, and one
Add Noise tool.

I've got an older version and have used even older, the photoshop noise
filters are pretty crude. They can be useful if you are willing to do a
lot of masking and or setting up special luminance-only duplicate
layers, etc. One of them just looks like blur to me. Plain old blurring
can work well for oof backgrounds, masked. Adobe's raw converters have
noise reduction with a couple sliders... not the best but usable. If you
really want to get into it, buy a plugin.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old October 3rd 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_3_]

David J Taylor wrote:
Wilba wrote:
[]
FFS you guys, stop being so gullible. :- ) There are four noise
reduction tools installed with Photoshop CS4 under the Filter | Noise
menu, and one Add Noise tool.

As I don't have any version of Photoshop I can hardly be expected to
know what is, or is not, on the menus. I took Alan at his word.

That's what I'm talking about! :- )

Old October 4th 09, 10:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_11_]

"Wilba" wrote in message
David J Taylor wrote:

[]
As I don't have any version of Photoshop I can hardly be expected to
know what is, or is not, on the menus. I took Alan at his word.

That's what I'm talking about! :- )

Ok, Wilba. Normally Alan is quite reliable.

David

Old October 4th 09, 01:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Wilba wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
Putting it mildly, I would be disappointed to find that I had to buy
add-ons to provide functionality missing from a $600 program.
To avoid serious disappointment then I suggest you be very careful not
to look too hard :-)

With all the hype about Photoshop, which I regard as an expensive program,
I expect that it would include at least something as basic as digital
camera noise reduction, considering that the much lower cost, and now
obsolete, Paint Shop Pro 10 does. I'm taking Alan's word that it does
not.

FFS you guys, stop being so gullible. :- ) There are four noise reduction
tools installed with Photoshop CS4 under the Filter | Noise menu, and one
Add Noise tool.

Doh! I haven't looked at those in a long time. Tuned them out, I
guess. The CS3 noise tool is about the best 'smooth out detail and make
the image look like a cartoon' tool, however.
Old October 4th 09, 01:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

David J Taylor wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
[]
Except for some slide film scans where shadow noise can be
objectionable, I rarely have issue enough with it to worry. I agree
that $600+ programs like CS3/CS4 should have it ... OTOH, there is a
world of 3rd party plugins out there that represent functionality that
PS does not have.

Putting it mildly, I would be disappointed to find that I had to buy
add-ons to provide functionality missing from a $600 program.

Perhaps Noise Ninja et al bribe the product managers at Adobe to leave
such out.

(I've heard so many times of late of people receiving FedEx (or UPS,
Purolator, etc.) packages in W-A-Y oversized packages (eg: 2 cu. ft.
box to hold a 10 cu. in. product package) that I wonder if some
shipping co's have people following expediting employees to their
watering hole and bribing them to overpack ... )

.. but a micro-SD card might get lost were it not over-sized in its
packaging! G

What annoys me more are those sealed, clear-plastic packages for things
on sale from customer self selection racks - typically in airports - and
even for SD cards. You know, the ones where you need scissors or a
knife to open the package, but there's no way you are allowed to bring
scissors or knives through security. So you end up struggling to unseal
the package with your teeth or worse!

Just ask for a coke in the can when you get on the airplane. Then bend
the can until it breaks (drink coke first). Those sharp edges will cut
through the plastic.