Price of used 35mm equipment

Old December 28th 03, 05:09 PM
Howard McCollister

"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
"Mac Breck" writes:
If DSLR buyers have a large investment in a lot of manual glass that
they really like, and it's a system of glass that they've built up
over many years, why wouldn't they want to hold onto their favorite
glass when they get a DSLR? There are manual lenses that I'd never
sell, because I really love the optics. The D100 does not meter
with them, so to Hell with the D100. I want to have a DLSR that
meters with all of my lenses, and that's the D1/D2 series.

I'm sort of in the situation you describe. I have maybe $2K of Nikon
stuff, not a large investment by pro standards but not trivial. At
the moment there's no D1/D2 camera with a 6 MP sensor with square
pixels, so if you want that you have no choice but the D100. Maybe
there will be a D2H soon which will probably cost around $4K. At that
price it's cheaper for me to throw away my current lenses and get a
D100 and new lenses, than to buy a D2X and use my current lenses. Of
course if I ditch my current lenses, I'm more likely to get a Canon
DSLR than if I can keep using my lenses, so Nikon IMO did a pretty
dumb thing in making the D100 unable to meter with MF lenses.

The MF lenses usefulness is sort of altered anyway by the small DSLR
sensor. The ultrawides become medium wides, my favorite 35/1.4
becomes a non-wide, the 55/2.8 becomes a short telephoto. They're no
longer good for the shooting that I bought them for. Meanwhile the
newer lenses (at least the pro ones) really do seem to improve on the
old ones (e.g. the 17-35). If I had a 300/2.8 I'd probably feel
different, but I have mostly shorter lenses.

I would wait until February and see what Fuji's S3 features. Thom Hogan has
predicted that it will be an 11mp full frame sensor. He is thinking it will
be mounted on an N85 (upgrade from N80) which may meter with MF Nikkors, or
the other rampant rumor is that the S3 will be based on the F100 body, which
will also do such metering.

HMc

Old December 28th 03, 05:15 PM
Paul Rubin

"Howard McCollister" writes:
I would wait until February and see what Fuji's S3 features. Thom
Hogan has predicted that it will be an 11mp full frame sensor. He is
thinking it will be mounted on an N85 (upgrade from N80) which may
meter with MF Nikkors, or the other rampant rumor is that the S3
will be based on the F100 body, which will also do such metering.

That's interesting. Is the S3 already predicted for February?

If it's based on the F100 and has a full frame sensor, it will cost
at least $5K, which is way out of my range.

Thanks.
Old December 28th 03, 06:18 PM
Howard McCollister

"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
"Howard McCollister" writes:
I would wait until February and see what Fuji's S3 features. Thom
Hogan has predicted that it will be an 11mp full frame sensor. He is
thinking it will be mounted on an N85 (upgrade from N80) which may
meter with MF Nikkors, or the other rampant rumor is that the S3
will be based on the F100 body, which will also do such metering.

That's interesting. Is the S3 already predicted for February?

If it's based on the F100 and has a full frame sensor, it will cost
at least $5K, which is way out of my range.

Thom Hogan predicts the S3 will have 11mp and full frame sensor and will be
announced at $3999. The price will wander around downward a bit as the
actual release date in June (speculated) approaches. Best guess is indeed
that it will be announced at PMA in February.

Just looking at current retail prices, the F100 would add about $400 to the
cost of the S3, which is only about 10% assuming all the other assumptions.
The F100 has been around awhile and I have to believe that Nikon has wiggle
room on the price they'd sell it to Fuji for. OTOH, the N85 will be a brand
new body and would be less likely to be discounted to Fuji.

It all depends where Fuji is aiming the S3. One would think that if it is
indeed 11mp full frame, they're aiming at the pro market, especially at
$4000. It would seem silly then to put it in a low level consumer body and
not to use a rugged pro body. Sort of like putting a Ferrari engine into a
Ford Focus.

Personally, if the S3 comes in at $4000 and is in the N85, I think I'd be
more likely to wait for the Nikon D2X.

HMc

Old December 28th 03, 06:36 PM
Paul Rubin

"Howard McCollister" writes:
Thom Hogan predicts the S3 will have 11mp and full frame sensor and will be
announced at $3999. The price will wander around downward a bit as the
actual release date in June (speculated) approaches. Best guess is indeed
that it will be announced at PMA in February.

I doubt that price, depending on what Canon does. An F100-based full
frame camera is a direct competitor to the Canon 1DS and will be
priced about the same or a little higher (Nikon always prices higher
than Canon, and at least with the S2 vs. D100, Fuji prices higher than
Nikon). It will be nice if it's true though.

It all depends where Fuji is aiming the S3. One would think that
if it is indeed 11mp full frame, they're aiming at the pro market,
especially at $4000. It would seem silly then to put it in a low
level consumer body and not to use a rugged pro body. Sort of like
putting a Ferrari engine into a Ford Focus.

But that's what Kodak did with the DCS-14n, which is based on the F80.
Old December 28th 03, 06:56 PM
T P

Chris Brown wrote:

Indeed, and now they've introduced the 300D, it's going to be even harder to
pick up a nice second-hand bargin.

What is a "bargin"?

Old December 28th 03, 08:26 PM
Alan Browne

T P wrote:

Chris Brown wrote:

Indeed, and now they've introduced the 300D, it's going to be even harder to
pick up a nice second-hand bargin.

What is a "bargin"?

It is a 'typo' or spelling error which, despite the clear context of the
message, only pedantic asses like yourself point out to raise their self
esteem. Meanwhile, the rest of us just see you for the right prat that
you are.

Old December 28th 03, 11:10 PM
Jim Waggener

" It is a 'typo' or spelling error which, despite the clear context of the
message, only pedantic asses like yourself point out to raise their self
esteem. Meanwhile, the rest of us just see you for the right prat that
you are.

ouch, a very good response Alan

Old December 29th 03, 12:38 AM
Tom Pfeiffer

Zing.

Well said!

Tom P.

Old December 31st 03, 01:45 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Hmmmm..... suspect possible "supply and demand?" More supply than demand?

Ryan

"The Spectre" wrote in message
.. .
WTF, is going on with the price of used 35mm equipment? I can not believe
that Nikon F5's, F4's, n90s's etc.. and associated Nikon f2.8 lenses and
accessories are selling for so little. I mean come on I saw an F5 with

MF-28
sell for $725.00!!! And that was after the seller reduced it twice. These
are still current production $1500 - $2000 cameras. Also, f2.8 glass is

many
times half of new price. Makes me wish I had an extra grand laying around.