iMac Pro - available to order very soon!

Old December 14th 17, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

Default iMac Pro - available to order very soon!

In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

On 13/12/17 10:53, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 16:53:21 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/12/17 16:46, David B. wrote:
Great news! :-D

https://www.apple.com/uk/imac-pro/

Ooohhh... 128GB RAM and 18 cores - 10gBaseT networking - feck!

I will have to start running Cat6a...

I have not looked at the price tag. I want to savour this moment before
I blow it to hell.

Gonna be very expensive or rather a lot of money depending on how you look
at it. I think mac rumours thinbks the basic model will start at $5k.
I'd expect the 18 core to start at around $8k. :-0

*meep*

Meh. 1983; Apple Lisa. 5 MHz processor, 512K RAM, 5 MB HD, 12"
monochrome screen. $10,000. I sold a lot of 'em. (GRIN)
Old December 14th 17, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Scott Schuckert
wrote:

Gonna be very expensive or rather a lot of money depending on how you look
at it. I think mac rumours thinbks the basic model will start at $5k.
I'd expect the 18 core to start at around $8k. :-0

*meep*

Meh. 1983; Apple Lisa. 5 MHz processor, 512K RAM, 5 MB HD, 12"
monochrome screen. $10,000. I sold a lot of 'em. (GRIN)

maybe for your particular store, but the lisa was a huge failure.

they were very slow and only had lisa workshop apps. there's a ****load
of them in a landfill.

on the other hand, they're rare and now sought by collectors,
particularly the original lisa with the (awful) twiggy drive.

apple offered a free upgrade to the lisa ii with a 3.5" floppy, and
nearly everyone who had the origina lisa took advantage of the offer,
making an original unmodified lisa *very* rare and very valuable.
Old December 14th 17, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Whisky-dave:
Gonna be very expensive or rather a lot of money depending on how you
look at it. I think mac rumours thinbks the basic model will start at $5k.
I'd expect the 18 core to start at around $8k.

You understand that "expensive" and "lot of money" are relative to
one's desires, needs, and means, right?

As I see it the iMac Pro is cheap. Moving up a little from the base
model, a model equipped with a 3.0GHz 10-core Intel Xeon W processor,
64GB of RAM, a 4TB SSD, and a Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16GB of RAM costs
$9100 after an organizational discount.

Compare to an SE/30, a quite capable machine in 1989. With 4MB of RAM
and an 80MB HD it cost $6569, which is $13,000 in 2017 dollars.

Thus a machine so powerful that its specs can't be compared to the
older machine costs only 70% of what the older machine cost.

Perhaps a better comparison would be a supercomputer such as the Cray,
priced in the $millions. The new iMac far outperforms many of the early
Crays. Cheap.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old December 15th 17, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

Default UK costs! - was iMac Pro - available to order very soon!

Looks good! :-)

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-ma...A&step=config#

--
David B.
Old December 15th 17, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David B.
wrote:

Looks...

like off-topic spam.
Old December 15th 17, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Davoud:
Thus a machine so powerful that its specs can't be compared to the
older machine costs only 70% of what the older machine cost.

Whisky-dave:
Doesn't matter to me.

So you're posting on something that doesn't matter to you. Run out of
books?

Old December 23rd 17, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 15/12/2017 17:54, nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

Looks...

like it's too expensive for you!

At £4,899.00, I can't justify the expenditure. :-(

--
“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick
themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” (Winston S.

Old December 24th 17, 06:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

Looks...

like it's too expensive for you!

At 4,899.00, I can't justify the expenditure. :-(

The British and EU prices seems a tad higher but for the Macs it
usually explained by the VAT. The size of the VAT is decision made by
elected officials...

That that we did want was a Mini Pro! That iMac is a lump of coal, if
you ask me... :-ppp
--
teleportation kills

Old December 26th 17, 01:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2017-12-25 05:30:01 +0000, RichA said:

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 15:08:10 UTC-5, Davoud wrote:
Whisky-dave:
[...]

You can build a pretty respectable PC for $6.5k too. But IMO, people
would do well to consider the screen as a lens in a camera system and
invest there.

Youpp! The displays on these iMac Pros should be of the same standard
as those in the standard iMacs and I'm not impressed by those,
cosidering the price. I'd like to see the internals of the Pro in a
mini Pro...
--
teleportation kills

Old December 26th 17, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 25/12/2017 05:30, RichA wrote:
[...]

How well would the screen available in this package compare to an iMac's
27-inch iMac with Retina 4K display screen?

https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-inspi...ilver/p3337539

This seems like quite good value.

--
David B.