Scanning glass slides

Old January 11th 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default Scanning glass slides

Annika1980 wrote:
Anybody here ever tried it?

I removed the film.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old January 11th 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Rol_Lei Nut

Alan Browne wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
Anybody here ever tried it?

I removed the film.

D'oh!

There I was thinking of emulsion directly on glass plates...

Maybe I am a luddite after all! :-)
Old January 11th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Rol_Lei Nut

Annika1980 wrote:
On Jan 11, 10:34 am, Alan Browne
wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
Anybody here ever tried it?

I removed the film.

Can you re-use the glass when you do this or does it just break it?

If you're slightly more agile than Homer Simpson, you can re-use them
(at least the vast majority of types). It's also a good chance to clean
the inside surface of the glass.
Old January 11th 09, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Annika1980 wrote:
On Jan 11, 10:34 am, Alan Browne
wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
Anybody here ever tried it?

I removed the film.

Can you re-use the glass when you do this or does it just break it?

The ones I have, yes, the glass is clipped in place with a little frame.

Just have to make sure the inside stays clean for remounting.

It was no big deal. I'm not sure if the Minolta 5400 would take the
slides mounted as is. Worth a try. (I sold my 5400 a couple years ago).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old January 11th 09, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Rol_Lei Nut wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
Anybody here ever tried it?

I removed the film.

D'oh!

There I was thinking of emulsion directly on glass plates...

Maybe I am a luddite after all! :-)

A problem there is that if the film is in contact with the glass (and
usually is) you can get Newton Rings. I even get this (occasionally, if
the film is really curled) with anti-newton ring glass on my glass plate
Nikon 9000 scan trays.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old January 11th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark Thomas

Alan Browne wrote:
Rol_Lei Nut wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
Anybody here ever tried it?

I removed the film.

D'oh!

There I was thinking of emulsion directly on glass plates...

Maybe I am a luddite after all! :-)

A problem there is that if the film is in contact with the glass (and
usually is) you can get Newton Rings. I even get this (occasionally, if
the film is really curled) with anti-newton ring glass on my glass plate
Nikon 9000 scan trays.

Yep, assuming they are glass slide mounts (rather than true glass
plates) he is talking about - *carefully take it out*!

I have quite a few of these, they are removable and re-usable, but I try
to avoid them:
- the glass gets easily contaminated, and may even get stuck to the film
if they are not stored well, so be careful
- there is the newton ring problem
- the textured glass often used in them to *avoid* newton rings, may
interfere with your scan - I can see it on my 2700 ppi scanner.

Also, I have broken one, and that wasn't a nice experience for me or the
film within.
Old January 13th 09, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Mark Thomas wrote,on my timestamp of 12/01/2009 8:44 AM:

- the glass gets easily contaminated, and may even get stuck to the film
if they are not stored well, so be careful

Hmmmm, never happened to me even with the old Agfa crap films.
But I use exclusively the Gepe mounts.

- there is the newton ring problem

Gepe glass mounts don't have this problem: AN glass, and the proper one, not
just the fogged glass.

- the textured glass often used in them to *avoid* newton rings, may
interfere with your scan - I can see it on my 2700 ppi scanner.

If you scan at higher than 2700ppi, you'll find it only affects the focusing
mechanism. But I agree: I prefer to scan just the film. With an FH-3 in a 5000
or V, it's child's play.

Also, I have broken one, and that wasn't a nice experience for me or the
film within.

Gepe ones are dirt easy to re-open, have most of my older slides in them.