canon powershot g5 or sony dsc-v1 or nikon coolpix 5700

Old October 7th 04, 05:00 PM
Jamie

Default canon powershot g5 or sony dsc-v1 or nikon coolpix 5700

Hi all

Planning on buying me a digital camera , has anyone had any first hand
experience with these models
and does anyone have any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Old October 7th 04, 05:08 PM
David J Taylor

Jamie wrote:
Hi all

Planning on buying me a digital camera , has anyone had any first hand
experience with these models
and does anyone have any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

I have been very pleased with the 5700 - please see my previous posts in
this newsgroup. However, there are now the newer 8700 and 8800, which
means either that you can get a better camera for the same money as the
5700, or that you should be able to find the 5700 heavily discounted,
making it excellent value for money.

Cheers,
David

Old October 7th 04, 10:20 PM
BenOne©

Jamie wrote:

Hi all

Planning on buying me a digital camera , has anyone had any first hand
experience with these models
and does anyone have any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Have a look at the reviews on www.dpreview.com.

They are very good reviews, and the comparisons sections are well worth a look.

--
Ben Thomas
given nor endorsed by it.

Old October 8th 04, 12:16 AM
Larry R Harrison Jr

I chose the 5700, and a lot of people do--it's a great camera.

If you are considering it, don't overlook the Sony DSC-F717. Some complain
about the 5700's autofocusing in low-light--although it seems to be more of
a "contrast" issue than "lighting" issue (albeit in low-light
generally)--and the Sony DSC-F717 has a very good low-light autofocusing
holographic AF assist beam which definitely does make a difference.

On the other hand, the 5700's LCD swivels--I like that better than the
swiveling BODY of the Sony (but others love the Sony's design), the 5700 has
more zoom, can shoot in RAW, allows more control of how the image is
processed even in JPEG, has a "B" (bulb) setting for exposures longer than
30 seconds, has more fine control of its flash-output level (+- 2EV in 1/3
increments vs "High/Normal/Low" for the Sony) and uses the more common
Compact Flash for storage.

The Canon Powershot G5 and Sony DSC-V1 are more compact. The Canon shoots in
RAW while the Sony doesn't, and it uses Compact Flash rather than Memory
Stick. The battery life of the Canon is enormous, too. But the Sony is more
compact and (I hear) better at controlling noise levels than the Canon. All
that I have mentioned are 5-megapixels and thus are aplenty for a great 8x10
or maybe even 11x14 if you don't crop a lot.

If the "compact" style (Powershot G5, Sony DSC-V1) is more to your liking
than the "full-sized" style (5700, Sony DSC-F717) then also don't overlook
the Coolpix 5400. It has a 28mm wide-angle view--none of the others do--and
it now does shoot RAW with the firmware upgrade (1.4). I also like its "my
menu" which allows you to pick 6 (I think) of your most-used menu items and
make them appear 1st on the screen (the others may have similar features, I
don't know.) Someone mentioned how you can get the 5700 for cheap since
newer models came out. Same with the 5400. I just got one for $390 (6-months
used on eBay) with 2 extra batteries and all the box contents.

Old October 8th 04, 05:22 AM
Rick

We have the G5 since last December and took about 5000 pics so far and
overall we are very pleased with the camera, it's not a DSLR but neither is
the 5700 and since the G5 has been discontinued it should be going for an
affordable price too.

Rick