Fuji S1 Pro - Fine JPG vs TIF?

Old August 31st 04, 04:51 PM
Thom Tapp

Default Fuji S1 Pro - Fine JPG vs TIF?

For any of you Fuji S1 Pro users out there... and I know there are some...
I've noticed artifacts in fine detail with high contrast such as hair, or
tree branches with light background in some photos taken with the S1. If you
use tif mode, and no sharpening, etc. would that fix the problem? What have
you found to help with this problem?

--
Thom Tapp

Old September 1st 04, 04:24 AM
Alan Meyer

"Thom Tapp" wrote in message
For any of you Fuji S1 Pro users out there... and I know there are some...
I've noticed artifacts in fine detail with high contrast such as hair, or
tree branches with light background in some photos taken with the S1. If you
use tif mode, and no sharpening, etc. would that fix the problem? What have
you found to help with this problem?

If what you're seeing are JPEG artifacts then, yes, they will
go away if you use TIFF. The artifacts are incorrect pixels
created as a consequence of too much JPEG compression.

But there's no point speculating. Setup a scene that has
given you problems before and shoot one image stored as
TIFF and one as "fine" JPEG. If there are other JPEG
settings, shoot with those too. Then study the images. If
the noise is in the TIFF, they're not JPEG artifacts. If it
goes away with the TIFF, or a "superfine" JPEG, you've
solved your problem.

I've never used a Fuji camera. My Canon S30 has three
JPEG settings, "superfine", "fine" and "normal". I have only
noticed slight problems in the "normal" setting, not the others,
so I shoot at "fine".

Alan