Fuji S500: What resolution setting?

Old July 26th 04, 04:21 AM
Luke Webber

Default Fuji S500: What resolution setting?

Hi.

I'm just on the verge of buying my first digital, and it looks like
it'll be an S5000. I've been doing a lot of research, but I wonder if I
could ask the S5000 users in this group to tell me one thing...

What resolution do you generally prefer to use?

I suspect the answer for most will be 3MP, but I wonder if there aren't
some purists who lean toward 6MP RAW and do their compression with a
more forgiving application than the extreme in-device compression of the
S5000.

I'm really only a snapper at present, so 3MP will probably be ample for
most of my needs, but I suspect this camera will bring out the
enthusiast in me, which is why I'm looking at prosumer devices.

Cheers,
Luke
Old July 26th 04, 05:37 AM
Kirk Davison

I use the 3 mp setting and have been blown away with the results. I have a
11x14 that looks like it was done with film. I have heard all the bad about
the compression in the camera but have no complaint with it at all.
om.au...

Old July 26th 04, 08:27 AM
Helge Olsen

[...]

I use RAW and Photoshop CS Camera Raw or FUJI Rawconverter EX. Both generate
pleasing results. More detail and noise in CS, a bit softer but virtually
noise free in EX.

Good luck with your new camera. And see http://www.s5000.net for great info
about the camera. Make sure to browse the forums as well!

/Helge

Old July 26th 04, 09:28 AM
Bob Williams

Luke Webber wrote:
Hi.

I'm just on the verge of buying my first digital, and it looks like
it'll be an S5000. I've been doing a lot of research, but I wonder if I
could ask the S5000 users in this group to tell me one thing...

What resolution do you generally prefer to use?

I suspect the answer for most will be 3MP, but I wonder if there aren't
some purists who lean toward 6MP RAW and do their compression with a
more forgiving application than the extreme in-device compression of the
S5000.

I'm really only a snapper at present, so 3MP will probably be ample for
most of my needs, but I suspect this camera will bring out the
enthusiast in me, which is why I'm looking at prosumer devices.

Cheers,
Luke

RAW is a bit of a chore to use and is probably overkill for you at this
point in your new adventure .
But if you paid for 6 MP, why not use 6MP at best quality .jpeg.
The only penalty is memory and that is not a real issue anymore.
The 6 MP mode will allow you to make larger prints if you ever want them
and even more importantly, will allow you to crop tiny parts of your
original image and still get a nice sharp print.
One man's opinion.....Bob Williams