Introduction

Old December 18th 05, 07:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default Introduction

Hi all,

Just joined. Been doing photography for some 33 years. I've written for
all the Australian and some US photo mags and edited a few of the
photo, design and art magazines. I now publish my own online digital
imaging magazine. The latest article is a review of the Samsung Pro815:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=378

My own art work follows two lines: photo-media involving combining
multiple images, and mathematical. The link is below.

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne J. Cosshall
Assistant Director, International Digital Art Award
Writer and educator in graphic design, photography, digital technology
Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

Old December 18th 05, 09:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default Samsung 815 (was: Introduction)

wayne wrote:
Hi all,

Just joined. Been doing photography for some 33 years. I've written
for all the Australian and some US photo mags and edited a few of the
photo, design and art magazines. I now publish my own online digital
imaging magazine. The latest article is a review of the Samsung
Pro815: http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=378

My own art work follows two lines: photo-media involving combining
multiple images, and mathematical. The link is below.

Cheers,

Wayne

Your "Review" omits the key fact that this camera lacks image
stabisation - essential to get the best out of a 420mm lens on a small
sensor camera.

At nearly three times the weight of the Panasonic FZ5, this is not a
camera I would be interested in.

David

Old December 18th 05, 10:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Hi David,

Actually my review makes that point as one of the issues with the
camera. Of course one can do it the old way and use a tripod. Image
stabilization only goes so far even if you have it.

Old December 18th 05, 11:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

wayne wrote:
Hi David,

Actually my review makes that point as one of the issues with the
camera. Of course one can do it the old way and use a tripod. Image
stabilization only goes so far even if you have it.

Cheers,

Wayne

My apologies, Wayne. I looked for a different spelling!

These days I prefer to travel very light, without encumberances like
tripods (or DSLRs and their bulky lenses). For me, that was the way we
did things last century! G

David

Old December 18th 05, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 10:34:06 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
wayne wrote:
Hi David,

Actually my review makes that point as one of the issues with the
camera. Of course one can do it the old way and use a tripod. Image
stabilization only goes so far even if you have it.

Cheers,

Wayne

My apologies, Wayne. I looked for a different spelling!

These days I prefer to travel very light, without encumberances like
tripods (or DSLRs and their bulky lenses). For me, that was the way we
did things last century! G

With something as light as an FZ5, you don't need much of a tripod. I
bought a Velbon 343, which does a great job holding the camera and only
weighs about 2 pounds. It also folds up small enough to easily fit in a
backpack.

It helps a lot for shots where the shutter speeds are too slow for the
stabilizer to compensate (For me, anything slower than about 1/8s is
problematical even at the short end of the zoom).

-dms
Old December 18th 05, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

"wayne" wrote in
oups.com...
Hi all,

Just joined. Been doing photography for some 33 years. I've written for
all the Australian and some US photo mags and edited a few of the
photo, design and art magazines. I now publish my own online digital
imaging magazine. The latest article is a review of the Samsung Pro815:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=378

Why are those noise test pics darker at each increase in ISO-value?
The increasing "darkness" would yield increasing noise in itself, woudn't
it?
/per

Old December 19th 05, 11:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

It was the way the autoexposure system responded. I noticed it too and
tried multiple times and did notice the shots were darker at the higher
iso settings, with or without flash. Suggests a mismatch between the
actual sensitivity and what is dialed into the auto exposure system or
some other issue with the logic. If there is an actual issue pushing
the sensitivity with the chip that might be why the camera does not
have high ISO settings than 400.

Old December 19th 05, 11:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

I still get confused about US vs UK spellings

Well then, this is not the camera for you.

BTW I left out the detail that you can use the top LCD as a waist level
finder. I've amended the article to discuss this. Personally I liked
those, but then maybe I am showing my age

Old December 19th 05, 12:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

wayne wrote:
I still get confused about US vs UK spellings

Well then, this is not the camera for you.

BTW I left out the detail that you can use the top LCD as a waist
level finder. I've amended the article to discuss this. Personally I
liked those, but then maybe I am showing my age

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne,

Although I appreciate trimming, it would help if you left a sentence of
two from the original post to help establish the context of your remarks.

The top LCD looks to be a useful feature, but I would have preferred the
back LCD finder to tilt and swivel - the top finder is a little small.
Waist-level is certainly useful, if only to allow you to look at the
subject and pretend you're not really taking a photo!

Cheers,
David