Internet prints at specified resolution (ppi setting)?

Old October 17th 05, 01:40 AM
none

Default Internet prints at specified resolution (ppi setting)?

Is there any internet or mail order printing service that allows the
specification of a particular print resolution? I'd like to see how the
resultant print differs as an image is enlarged using resolution
upscaling, or instead enlarged by printing at a lower resolution.

For example, I'd like to take a 2048x1536 image and print at 200ppi
(8x10), but also also enlarge it to 3180x2400 and print at 300ppi (8x10).

Thanks,
-Mike
Old October 17th 05, 10:53 AM
kctan

200ppi or 300ppi is known as image output resolution. Every digital printing
device has its required output resolution. To name some of these devices
a inkjet printer, laser printer, dye-sub printer, laser light photo
printer, offset printing etc...and each has its own required output
resolution due to its printing technology. Therefore in the prof industry,
we concern more on the pixels dimension of an image or rather the file size
in uncompressed form. The higher the better. From this, the image will be
printed by the required output resolution and you can see that more ppi
given for printing mean smaller pix dimension and vice versa. For inkjet
print, the general guide for ppi is 1/3 the printing DPI. From your example,
If the printer DPI is 600, then 200ppi is enough. You may ask printer like
Epson has 2880 DPI needs 960ppi? No, because visually we can't differentiate
such tiny 1/2880" dot size from dot size 1/720" of 720DPI. Therefore ppi
240 in this case may be enough but Epson may recommends 360ppi. It depends
on your image. Some image printed may have no diff between 720DPI and 2880
DPI. Go for higher ppi and print at the highest DPI if it got fine detail to
be printed or the best do some tests.

For your question, let the lab handle it as their program will be able to
auto select the ppi based on your pix size for best quality but it is safer
to do your scaling by asking for their output resolution. If they can't
answer, you better use 300ppi even it is an overkill.

newspC4f.23814$p_.1027@trndny05...

Old October 17th 05, 03:45 PM
none

kctan wrote:
200ppi or 300ppi is known as image output resolution. Every digital
printing device has its required output resolution. To name some of
these devices a inkjet printer, laser printer, dye-sub printer,
laser light photo printer, offset printing etc...and each has its own
required output resolution due to its printing technology.
For inkjet
print, the general guide for ppi is 1/3 the printing DPI. From your example,
If the printer DPI is 600, then 200ppi is enough.

Can't you choose to print at less than the printer's maximum DPI if you
prefer?

For your question, let the lab handle it as their program will be able to
auto select the ppi based on your pix size for best quality but it is safer
to do your scaling by asking for their output resolution. If they can't
answer, you better use 300ppi even it is an overkill.

OK -- what would happen if I gave them a file at less than the required
ppi? For example, let's say that they are going to print at 300dpi, and
I request an 8x10 print. I give them a jpeg or tiff at 2048x1536 and
200ppi. Would it be printed at 200dpi or would they upscale it to
3180x2400/300ppi before printing?

Thanks,
-Mike