Why no cameras with double exposure ?

Old October 13th 05, 10:34 PM
Alan Meyer

Default Why no cameras with double exposure ?

kctan wrote:
Are you people trying to extend the dynamic range virtually by taking an
over and an under exposed shots and blend the twos in photoshop later during
post production work? I've been doing this by using the auto bracketing
exposure feature AEB to extend additional 5 stops (+/- 2 stops) for sunset
shot with good detailed foreground. One shutter button pressed with 3 shots
taken at - 2stop, N, + 2stop. I use the -2 and +2 to manipulate.

kctan,

How does your camera do that?

1. Expose three images.

or

2. Make one exposure, then copy it three times with different
levels of amplification.

I suspect that latter is what it does, in which case you may
not actually have more data to work with than with a single
RAW image - which has all the same information in one image
that appears in the three.

Alan

Old October 14th 05, 09:38 AM
kctan

Dear Alan,
There is no way to extend the physical dynamic range of a camera but we can
cheat it the virtual way. Expose 3 shots using the AEB feature i.e normal,
over and under exposure shots and choose the best 2 to manipulate in
photoshop blending with layer mask. Duplication in photoshop from 1 shot is
not appropriate as when you come across wide dynamic range scene that the
camera can't cope, it will loss detail in either shadow, hightlight or both
depending on exposure.

"Alan Meyer" wrote in message
oups.com...