Camera straps?

Old January 16th 19, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default Camera straps?

Out playing with my new X-T3 and vertical grip today, mainly with the
50-230 while I save up for a 100-400!

Partly shooting outdoors failing to capture pheasants (quite windy
today, the usually plentiful buzzards were nowhere to be seen), partly
shooting a horse rider in an indoor school.

The conventional neck strap on the eyelets at each end of the top plate
just keeps getting in the way, especially switching from portrait to
landscape (otherwise very easy, with this grip).

The grip comes with a tethering point on the bottom, I see from Amazon
that there are several similar straps worn diagonally across the chest,
with a single point fixing to the bottom of the camera. Does anyone have
any particular advice, suggestions, or recommendations? Or are they all
much the same?

With the weight of the grip and longer lens I think I need something
with DSLR rather than mirrorless ratings. Is the tether point a standard
size? I think I'd like something that is fairly quick to detach.

TIA...Steve
Old January 16th 19, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 15, 2019, newshound wrote
(in article6bOdnb5687YL9KPBnZ2dnUU78cfNnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

[...]

I have gone through almost as many camera straps as I have camera bags. With
my DSLRs I have always favored the BlackRapid (BR) strap which is attached
via the tripod mount. Unfortunately, this is not a great arrangement for
portrait orientation shots as the BR tripod mount then sits in the middle of
your palm, and that is not comfortable. Though they have a larger selection
today than what I bought back in 2007.

With my Fujifilm MILCs I have used several different Peak Design straps with
their quick release system anchors. Their anchor(s) can be easily attached to
the attachment point on the bottom of the X-T3 battery grip.

I have the Peak Design ‘Leash’ on my X-T2 + grip, and it has the
adjustable length to be used in the manner you described. I also have their
‘Slide’ which is, in my opinion, a bit bulky for any of the Fuji APS-C
cameras, and probably better suited to the GXR MF cameras. As a result that
is sitting in reserve, I probably should have bought the ‘Slide Lite’
instead.

I have also bought their Anchor Link + connector to make other straps
workable with their system, to that end on my X-T3 I have a Think Tank
‘Camera Strap V2.0’ + Peak conversion.

BlackRapid:
http://www.blackrapid.com/all/camerastraps

Peak Design:
https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/straps/

Think Tank:
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/colle...oducts/camera-
strap-v2

Savageduck

Old January 16th 19, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 1/15/2019 6:15 PM, newshound wrote:
[...]

I use Peak Design. They are quick release, attached to the strap holder,
very comfortable, and last but most importantly strong. I have two
pairs, use my cameras regularly, the heaviest i have used is my D800,
with my Nikon 80-400 lens. I has no issues when I used my D500 with a
borrowed Nikon 159-500.

--
PeterN
Old January 16th 19, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 16:05:06 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

[...]

We must grip the camera differently in portrait mode. I've been using
a Black Rapid strap since at least 2007, and never had any inclination
to try any other strap. My left palm is not flat against the bottom
of the camera in portrait. It's cupped an inch or two off the
mounting screw. Perhaps that's because I'm left-handed and don't need
to grip the camera that tightly. And, I'm using a fairly heavy Nikon
D300 with 300mm lens for sports photography.

The only disadvantage I see to the Black Rapid is that it has to be
screwed out to use the camera on a tripod. There are adapters to
rectify this, but it's never been enough of a problem to get around to
ordering an adapter. I don't do that much tripod photography.

If Black Rapid ever asked for suggestions, I'd suggest using a wider
padded part that sits on the shoulder. That D300 and 300mm gets heavy
after a few hours.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 16th 19, 04:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 15, 2019, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

Well I am right handed, and in portrait mode, for me it is awkward. Not that
I shoot that often in portrait orientation. That said, I still have my D300S
with Black Rapid attached

The only disadvantage I see to the Black Rapid is that it has to be
screwed out to use the camera on a tripod. There are adapters to
rectify this, but it's never been enough of a problem to get around to
ordering an adapter. I don't do that much tripod photography.

Yup! While I have two good tripods they are only used when I have something
planned. I am aware of the Black Rapid Arca-Swiss plate with the BR strap
attachment point, and I have not had a need to buy one.

If Black Rapid ever asked for suggestions, I'd suggest using a wider
padded part that sits on the shoulder. That D300 and 300mm gets heavy
after a few hours.

That has become less of a problem for me since I moved to mirrorless with
Fujifilm, and I haven’t actually used my D300S for some 18+ months.

Savageduck

Old January 16th 19, 04:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

If Black Rapid ever asked for suggestions, I'd suggest using a wider
padded part that sits on the shoulder. That D300 and 300mm gets heavy
after a few hours.

That has become less of a problem for me since I moved to mirrorless with
Fujifilm, and I haven¹t actually used my D300S for some 18+ months.

then it must be incredibly heavy.
Old January 16th 19, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 15/01/2019 23:15, newshound wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all for the quick and helpful responses. I'll review them at
leisure, as a break from trying to understand and master the X-T3 focus
options! I scarcely needed to touch the manual for the X-E1, the T3 is a
whole new kettle of fish :-)
Old January 16th 19, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 16, 2019, newshound wrote
(in articlea_WdnchcDJqCsaLBnZ2dnUU78d3NnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

[...]

The first thing I did on both my X-E3, and my X-T3 was to the Touch Screen
focus. I find that the only time I would use it was for tripod mounted shots.
For all other times it is just too easy to inadvertently make unwanted focus
point changes.

A neat way to adjust the focus point/zone size is to select the ‘All’
option. Then when you push the ‘joystick’ in you can scroll through the
FP sizes and zones using the rear command dial.

Then there are the various AF-C options.

For manual focus there are the various MF assist tools, digital split-image,
digital micro prism, and focus peak highlighting. You can switch between
those when in MF mode by pressing and holding the rear command dial to toggle
through the options which are displayed in both the EVF,& LCD. My personal
choice for MF is focus peak highlighting ‘Red(High’.

Savageduck

Old January 16th 19, 02:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 16, 2019, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

[...]

That was meant to read; The first thing I did on both my X-E3, and my X-T3
was to DISABLE the Touch Screen focus.

Old January 16th 19, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 13:05:36 +0000, newshound
wrote:

[...]

Your best source of advice in this group on the subject of accessories
like a camera strap is Savageduck. After reading his posts for
several years, I'm convinced that he has purchased or tried more
camera-related items than anyone else. He must have a barn full of
stuff that he's tried and moved on from.

I am of the opposite persuasion. If I buy something that works, I
tend to stick with it. My Nikons came with factory straps and SmugMug
gave me a free strap, but the only strap I've purchased was a Black
Rapid. I like it, so that's the end of strap-buying for me.

I do have several camera bags in the closet. Each has been larger
than the previous to accommodate new and extra lenses. The current
Lowepro sling is OK, not ideal, but it'll suffice.

When you get around to software decisions, Savageduck is also your
best source. He seems to have tried everything. He'll tell you that
his primary workflow is Lightroom and, when called for, Photoshop, but
he has a least a half dozen other programs and plug-ins.

I'm Lightroom and Photoshop, too, but do own the old NIK from
Google-ownership days. I've never tried DxO's "upgrade" and don't
intend to. I won a copy of OnOne's Suite 7 program, but never used it
enough to upgrade to the later versions.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida