Weird windows 10 glitch

Old June 1st 18, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default Freebie Friday Was: Weird windows 10 glitch

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 12:52:31 -0400, Neil wrote in
:

On 6/1/2018 10:29 AM, android wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 10:02:15 -0400, Neil wrote
in :

On 6/1/2018 3:00 AM, android wrote:
On Thu, 31 May 2018 23:09:48 -0700, RichA
wrote in :

On Friday, 1 June 2018 01:42:23 UTC-4, Savageduck wrote:
On May 31, 2018, RichA wrote (in
):

When using VLC Media Player, the cursor no longer disappears once
a video is playing.

Is r.p.d. the best NG to find an answer to this Win10 question?

Savageduck

Sure, why not? Photogs are heavy users of cutting-edge computers
and software. It's like cameras. You'd NEVER go to Dpreview or
other professional photo sites to get the low-down on a new camera
as they are the last places where problems are mentioned owing to
their fealty to manufacturers and advertisers. It's almost always
the regular users who find out things first.

It's not on topic since it's not photography related.
alt.comp.os.windows-10 seems to be a fairly active group. 40 posts
the last 24...

I suspect that a number of photographers who use Windows also use VLC
as it is a long-used and respected media player on that platform. So,
RichA's question can be seen as verifying that the problem he
experienced is experienced by others, and if so it could have been a
VLC problem that doesn't involve Win10. I don't know of a VLC ng.
Although I would have responded to his question in the Win10 ng, I
don't see it as any more off-topic here than any other app or
platform-related post, of which there have been many.

The charter says, IIRC that the r.p.d is for discussions related to
digital photography and the processing thereof. VLC is a media player
and not related to photography like and raster editor would be, like
the GIMP or Pixelstyle. Both free to download and use, BTW...

Surely you realize that apps other than raster editors are used by
digital photographers?

https://itunes.apple.com/se/app/phot...or-pixelstyle/
id1244649277?l

Other topics should be marked OT so that they can filtered out by less
interested parties...

How do you explain your many responses to the discussion about rear view
cameras in cars that lack any indication of being OT? That is not the
only "OT" discussion that you participated in without making such
protests btw, so what is this REALLY about?

Why do you care? That subject should be marked OT too but I respond as I
see fit and not to please idiots like you!

--
teleportation kills
Old June 1st 18, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android
wrote:

That subject should be marked OT too but I respond as I
see fit and not to please idiots like you!

just idiots like yourself, then?
Old June 1st 18, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

Default Weird windows 10 glitch

On 2018-06-01 18:45, Neil wrote:
On 6/1/2018 10:56 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:

But it's nothing to do with digital photography, people might have a
solution but VLC isn;t the sort of program that photographers would
use in photography, you might be better off in a star wars group where
VLC player can be used to play star war vids, but not photographic
images.

FYI, VLC only works with digital images, so by definition it DOES have
to do with digital photography. It has long been used to organize,
manage, and play slide shows of those images, so it's no more OT than a
question about Lightroom or any other app used by photographers.

That's news to me.

AFAIK VLC works with videos. Movies, not stills. But I just tried and it
does display stills.

The "movies" and "videos" must be digital, not analog.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old June 1st 18, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 6/1/2018 1:14 PM, android wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 12:45:55 -0400, Neil wrote in
:

On Friday, 1 June 2018 15:02:16 UTC+1, Neil wrote:

I suspect that a number of photographers who use Windows also use VLC

They probably use a mouse and wear shoes.

???

as
it is a long-used and respected media player on that platform. So,
RichA's question can be seen as verifying that the problem he
experienced is experienced by others, and if so it could have been a
VLC problem that doesn't involve Win10. I don't know of a VLC ng.

Well there is support via https://www.videolan.org/support/

That is not a newsgroup...

Although I would have responded to his question in the Win10 ng, I
don't see it as any more off-topic here than any other app or
platform-related post, of which there have been many.

But it's nothing to do with digital photography, people might have a
solution but VLC isn;t the sort of program that photographers would use
in photography, you might be better off in a star wars group where VLC
player can be used to play star war vids, but not photographic images.

FYI, VLC only works with digital images, so by definition it DOES have
to do with digital photography. It has long been used to organize,
manage, and play slide shows of those images, so it's no more OT than a
question about Lightroom or any other app used by photographers.

Have you used it?

If you could comprehend my original response to RichA, you'd know the
answer to that question.

I have it installed on both macOS and Win10. VLC stands
for VideoLAN and it is a media player and not an image editor!

No one claimed that VLC was an editor nor that it was only available on
Windows. Those are your personal misconceptions, and neither is relevant
to the discussion.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old June 1st 18, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 13:36:02 -0400, Neil wrote in
:

On 6/1/2018 1:14 PM, android wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 12:45:55 -0400, Neil wrote
in :

[---]

FYI, VLC only works with digital images, so by definition it DOES have
to do with digital photography. It has long been used to organize,
manage, and play slide shows of those images, so it's no more OT than
a question about Lightroom or any other app used by photographers.

[---]

I have it installed on both macOS and Win10. VLC stands for VideoLAN
and it is a media player and not an image editor!

No one claimed that VLC was an editor nor that it was only available on
Windows. Those are your personal misconceptions, and neither is relevant
to the discussion.

You did in the above...
--
teleportation kills
Old June 1st 18, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 6/1/2018 2:00 PM, android wrote:
[...]

So, you either can't read or don't know the difference between an image
editor and a media presentation tool. Those of us who produce media
presentations have no difficulty distinguishing between such functions.
If you claim that digital media production is not related to digital
photography, well therein lies a conceptual problem.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old June 3rd 18, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 14:33:29 -0400, Neil wrote in
:

On 6/1/2018 2:00 PM, android wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 13:36:02 -0400, Neil wrote
in :

On 6/1/2018 1:14 PM, android wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 12:45:55 -0400, Neil
wrote in :

[---]

[...]

VLC is a media viewer and not a creative tool. Care to share what
functions in it you use for media productions involving photography?

--
teleportation kills
Old June 3rd 18, 12:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 6/2/2018 11:57 PM, android wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 14:33:29 -0400, Neil wrote in
:

On 6/1/2018 2:00 PM, android wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 13:36:02 -0400, Neil wrote
in :

On 6/1/2018 1:14 PM, android wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 12:45:55 -0400, Neil
wrote in :

[---]

[...]

I use VLC for what it is: a media presentation tool. It is every bit a
part of creating presentations involving photography (and videos) as
Lightroom or any other app used during the production process that isn't
an image editor. If you wonder why that is, I'd recommend that you take
some media production courses rather than insult those of us who have
done this kind of work for decades.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old June 3rd 18, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 07:07:18 -0400, Neil wrote in
:

I use VLC for what it is: a media presentation tool.

So I was right then. It's a media player and don't add anything to your
photography.

No need for you to feel offended... You cant just tell the difference
between a player and creator. The VLC just don't edit photographs. I my
default player on both the macOS and Windows 10. Soo I do know that...

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

The VLC has a sister app for nonlinear video editing. It was not ready
for my Mac then I edited the family movies, from the fifties and sixties
that I scanned the other year, but I'm gonna download it today to give it
a another go the next time I make a moving thingy of some sort...

http://www.videolan.org/vlmc/

My scanning setup was rather crude but since home movies fade so fast now:

From my blog: https://wp.me/P3strj-7c

--
teleportation kills