Need help with 75-200mm Tou/Five Star Lens

Old September 21st 04, 09:21 PM
Jessica Green

Default Need help with 75-200mm Tou/Five Star Lens

Hello,

I purchased an old Pentax K1000 on eBay and it came with a Tou/Five
Star 75-200mm MC Auto Macro Zoom lens (1:4.5, 52mm). This is my very
first 35mm camera and lens, so please pardon the ignorance in
terminology. I'm a digital guru and 4x5 user, delving into 35mm for
the first time ever... I don't know anything about manual zoom
lenses.

Here is what is happening. The outside barrel of the lens slides up
and down, side to side fairly freely. The front barrel around the
lens is detached and will clank around freely while rising and falling
about an inch or so. I can see inside behind the lens when pulling up
on this inside barrel. I can put the inside barrel back and push it
in to focus for a little bit before it gets unhinged again and the
focus stops working. Fiddle fiddle for a moment, and it starts to
focus again.

Is this a common problem? Do you think this lens may be repairable?
As far as I am concerned, it was a freebie, as it came with the K1000
as an extra. It would be very nice to use it, though.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Jessica
Gilbert, Arizona
Old September 21st 04, 09:38 PM
Nick Zentena

Jessica Green wrote:

about an inch or so. I can see inside behind the lens when pulling up
on this inside barrel. I can put the inside barrel back and push it
in to focus for a little bit before it gets unhinged again and the
focus stops working. Fiddle fiddle for a moment, and it starts to
focus again.

Is this a common problem? Do you think this lens may be repairable?
As far as I am concerned, it was a freebie, as it came with the K1000
as an extra. It would be very nice to use it, though.

Is it common? I hope seeing inside the lens barrel isn't a common problem.
Is it fixable? With money and love anything can be fixed. Is it worth
fixing? I'd say no. In good condition it might sell used for $25? It's going
to cost more then that to be fixed. So assuming you're seeing the inside of
the lens I'd say no. OTOH you may be moving the lenshood forward and what
you're seeing is the actual outer barrel of the lens. What are you seeing?
Lens elements?

Nick