Stacking for noise reduction

Old October 22nd 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

Default Stacking for noise reduction

Hi Folks,

Not being an expert in Photoshop, I'm trying to figure out the basics.

I've heard that, if one takes a number of identical pics and "stacks" them
in Photoshop, one can obtain an end image with less noise.

I'm wondering what steps are involved in this process so I can ask my son to
give it a try.

Appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks,
Dudley

Old October 22nd 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Dudley Hanks wrote:
Hi Folks,

Not being an expert in Photoshop, I'm trying to figure out the basics.

I've heard that, if one takes a number of identical pics and "stacks" them
in Photoshop, one can obtain an end image with less noise.

I'm wondering what steps are involved in this process so I can ask my son to
give it a try.

Appreciate all the help I can get.

Google helps.
Examples: Search string: "" image stacking noise reduction ""

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonpo...7600370418804/
http://www.rocketroberts.com/astro/ccdnoise.htm
http://tinymachineshop.blogspot.com/...-take-two.html
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old October 22nd 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:
Dudley Hanks wrote:
Hi Folks,

Not being an expert in Photoshop, I'm trying to figure out the basics.

I've heard that, if one takes a number of identical pics and "stacks"
them in Photoshop, one can obtain an end image with less noise.

I'm wondering what steps are involved in this process so I can ask my
son to give it a try.

Appreciate all the help I can get.

Google helps.
Examples: Search string: "" image stacking noise reduction ""

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonpo...7600370418804/

In this example, they show a high ISO shot but why use high ISO if
you're on a tripod? I don't think this technique is very useful in
normal photography... maybe if your camera only does 30 second exposures
& you've got something very dark. Astrophotography isn't normal photography.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old October 22nd 08, 07:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark Thomas

Dudley Hanks wrote:
Hi Folks,

Not being an expert in Photoshop, I'm trying to figure out the basics.

I've heard that, if one takes a number of identical pics and "stacks" them
in Photoshop, one can obtain an end image with less noise.

I'm wondering what steps are involved in this process so I can ask my son to
give it a try.

Appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks,
Dudley

In what context, Dudley? You might find dark-frame-subtraction (which
is a built-in feature of some cameras, or can be done manually) helps
also, depending on what he is shooting.

Registax is often mentioned by astronomers, but I haven't used it, only
dark-frame occasionally...

Old October 22nd 08, 07:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
Alan Browne wrote:
Dudley Hanks wrote:
[...]

The technique is a bit different, Paul, but my A720 is a bit noisier than
I'd like, even at 100 ISO. I thought I'd try the technique to see if it can
improve the quality of some of my pics. Since I do a lot of low-light work
without any movement, I'm hoping that stacking will give me quality closer
to that of a DSLR.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old October 22nd 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Dudley Hanks wrote:
Hi Folks,

Not being an expert in Photoshop, I'm trying to figure out the basics.

I've heard that, if one takes a number of identical pics and "stacks"
them in Photoshop, one can obtain an end image with less noise.

I'm wondering what steps are involved in this process so I can ask my son
to give it a try.

Appreciate all the help I can get.

Google helps.
Examples: Search string: "" image stacking noise reduction ""

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonpo...7600370418804/
http://www.rocketroberts.com/astro/ccdnoise.htm
http://tinymachineshop.blogspot.com/...-take-two.html
.
.
.

Thanks for the links, Alan. They are just what I was looking for. Your
Google query was much more presice than the one I tried and yielded much
better links.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old October 22nd 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
trouble

If you are tripod based you may get the kind of results you are looking for
with HDR processing in a program like Photomatix--the Photoshop version
leaves much to be desired.
It is best to use identical images obtained with different exposures, at
least 3 but it can be more depending on your desires/experience.
You can use Photomatix to process as HDR images differently processed
versions of the same image, particularly useful if you are beginning with a
raw image, probably useless if you are using in-camera mutilated jpegs.

Old October 22nd 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Dudley Hanks wrote:

I've heard that, if one takes a number of identical pics and "stacks"
them in Photoshop, one can obtain an end image with less noise.

I'm wondering what steps are involved in this process so I can ask my
son to give it a try.

Google helps.
Examples: Search string: "" image stacking noise reduction ""

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonpo...7600370418804/

In this example, they show a high ISO shot but why use high ISO if
you're on a tripod? I don't think this technique is very useful in

snipped

My point to Dudley was that in Google he can find many examples of NR
techniques for a variety of purposes.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old October 23rd 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete D

"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

Not being an expert in Photoshop, I'm trying to figure out the basics.

I've heard that, if one takes a number of identical pics and "stacks" them
in Photoshop, one can obtain an end image with less noise.

I'm wondering what steps are involved in this process so I can ask my son
to give it a try.

Appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks,
Dudley

If you just want to do stacking and do it easily then try a little program
called "registax".

Cheers.

Pete

Old October 23rd 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

"Pete D" wrote in message

"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

Not being an expert in Photoshop, I'm trying to figure out the basics.

I've heard that, if one takes a number of identical pics and "stacks"
them in Photoshop, one can obtain an end image with less noise.

I'm wondering what steps are involved in this process so I can ask my son
to give it a try.

Appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks,
Dudley

If you just want to do stacking and do it easily then try a little program
called "registax".

Cheers.

Pete
Thanks for the heads up, Pete. I'll give it a try.

Take Care,
Dudley