MFA?

Old December 7th 04, 08:32 PM
stefano bramato

Photography not only ISN'T art, it CANNOT BE art.

ROTFL!!

Is it a joke?
Yes, you can have a roll film or a digital sensor and you're not an
artist.
Yes, everyone can buy water colours, or oil colours and not to be a
Caravaggio or an artist.
Yes you can have a Hassie and not to be a photographer but a mere mice
shooter...

BUT
in the same time *you can do art* with scraps, wood, air, corn flakes,
tints, pictures, fire, or everything you live in.

Arts are around you. you are not going around art, sorry.

I think that you have a slightly deformed way of thinking about arts.
in my semplified order: You can shoot over an emulsion or sensor, you
can shoot pictures, you can do near perfect pictures but wthout a
*quid*, you can give some feelings with pictures, you can tell with your
pics, you're a master photographer, you do art with photography. Tje
last comprehend all of this and much more, because someone starts from a
simple photography and finish on *materico*, as we say in Italy.
But is always a simplification...

(I have a degree in arts and I live with arts since i was born... my
sister is one of best graffiti-art girl in Italy for example...)

Ciao!!

--
Ed io imparo.
Old December 7th 04, 09:30 PM
Jörgen Persson

jjs wrote:
At first glance you seem to be saying that art must conform
to some political neccessity.

I was not trying to say that.

Can you elaborate and tell us what photographs fulfill your
requisites?

It was not my requisites.

Put it this way. Postmodernism thinks ''interesting'' art has an
interesting relationship to a group of ''consumers''.
Old December 7th 04, 09:54 PM

No photography meets the necessary criteria for 'art'.

There are necessary conditions and sufficient conditions for something
to be 'art'. Photography doesn't meet either.

A crayon drawing by a 3-year old meets the necessary conditions, but
not the sufficient conditions. It is therefore not 'art'.

Old December 7th 04, 09:55 PM

No, they're not. Photographs are made by a lens.

Old December 7th 04, 10:43 PM
jjs

"Jörgen Persson" wrote in message
jjs wrote:
At first glance you seem to be saying that art must conform
to some political neccessity.

I was not trying to say that.

Can you elaborate and tell us what photographs fulfill your
requisites?

It was not my requisites.

Put it this way. Postmodernism thinks ''interesting'' art has an
interesting relationship to a group of ''consumers''.

Postmodernism is a self-serving mess that yields easily to lightweight
scholarship. It's a dark corner of mad yackings in the halls of discourse
analysis. I will guess that you are referring to the idea that western art
is defined by an elite to serve themselves, and to that I would largely
agree. I posted earlier that art was largely determined by historians,
curators and critics. But that's only a guess.

It is up to you to be more specific.

Old December 8th 04, 12:57 AM
Some Dude

yeah I've honestly watched this group go down so much that I troll a
lot, got sick of killfiltering half the people that post so now i just
hang out on mailing lists None of that kinda crap on there...
usually

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 03:24:39 GMT, Gregory Blank

Some Dude wrote:

plonk.

add wood to the fire it never goes out.

Guess you got tired of the signal to noise ratio as well.

Cheers,
-sd
http://www.zoom.sh
Old December 8th 04, 01:55 AM

How so? Have you done that? Have you torn to shreds the poor work of
major scholars?

Old December 8th 04, 04:01 AM
Gregory Blank

In article , Tom Phillips
wrote:

From someone who apparently has neither photographs or
photograms worth showing. Stop yaking about art and
put up or shut up. All you do is trash other people
continually. So, let's see your work, see if your
art matches your mouth...

I seriously doubt the brother of Michael Scarpetti has any talent
what so ever.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918