Photo file rename by to date and time taken

Old July 30th 15, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default Photo file rename by to date and time taken

On 2015-07-29 11:04, Stephen G. Giannoni wrote:
What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

Terminal command in OS X or Linux, I s'pect. Possibly in Windows.

This requires pretty good skills with string manipulation in the command
line. Not common these days. (It would take me an hour to get there
again - been too long).

Probably longer for me. I used to be able to decently do basics in Unix
caommand lkine. The operating principle is not all that much different
with DOS command lines. Both are fairly simple and quick. But I have
forgotten the syntax for conditional execution of cammands.

--
PeterN
Old July 30th 15, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On 2015-07-29 11:04, Stephen G. Giannoni wrote:
What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

Terminal command in OS X or Linux, I s'pect. Possibly in Windows.

This requires pretty good skills with string manipulation in the command
line. Not common these days. (It would take me an hour to get there
again - been too long).

Probably longer for me. I used to be able to decently do basics in Unix
caommand lkine. The operating principle is not all that much different
with DOS command lines. Both are fairly simple and quick. But I have
forgotten the syntax for conditional execution of cammands.

....and you would really have to be careful with regard to those typos
you are vulnerable to these days.

Savageduck

Old July 30th 15, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

simple or not, renaming is more work than not renaming.

The OP expressed a valid reason for renaming.

actually he didn't.

If you knew how to read you would see that he did. If the reason is
valid for him, then its valid.

the point is that there are better options.

people like you want to keep others in the dark and prevent them from
learning new ways of doing things.
Old July 30th 15, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

This requires pretty good skills with string manipulation in the command
line. Not common these days. (It would take me an hour to get there
again - been too long).

Probably longer for me. I used to be able to decently do basics in Unix
caommand lkine. The operating principle is not all that much different
with DOS command lines. Both are fairly simple and quick. But I have
forgotten the syntax for conditional execution of cammands.

...and you would really have to be careful with regard to those typos
you are vulnerable to these days.

no ****. one minor typo and you could be looking at a complete
reinstall.
Old July 30th 15, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Old July 30th 15, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/30/2015 3:13 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

simple or not, renaming is more work than not renaming.

The OP expressed a valid reason for renaming.

actually he didn't.

If you knew how to read you would see that he did. If the reason is
valid for him, then its valid.

the point is that there are better options.

people like you want to keep others in the dark and prevent them from
learning new ways of doing things.

That's a known fact. /end sarcastic tag

--
PeterN
Old July 30th 15, 08:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Savageduck wrote:

This requires pretty good skills with string manipulation in the command
line. Not common these days. (It would take me an hour to get there
again - been too long).

Probably longer for me. I used to be able to decently do basics in Unix
caommand lkine. The operating principle is not all that much different
with DOS command lines. Both are fairly simple and quick. But I have
forgotten the syntax for conditional execution of cammands.

...and you would really have to be careful with regard to those typos
you are vulnerable to these days.

no ****. one minor typo and you could be looking at a complete
reinstall.

Gee dad, it's a Wurlitzer!

--
PeterN
Old July 30th 15, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 10:00:44 -0400, nospam

Whisky-dave wrote:

because renaming files is never a good solution. in fact, it's not even
needed at all because the file name makes absolutely no difference
whatsoever.

It does to the person that wants it renamed. Sometimes you rename a file just
so it lists the file in the order you want in the finder(Mac). Very useful
for slideshow too.

using finder to view files is a bad idea and slide shows know which
order to show the images, *without* renaming anything.

Maybe the best option is to leave all photos untilled so they can be easily
found

asset managers don't give a **** what the files are called. they keep
track of stuff so you don't have to.

Of course you have to keep track of the stuff!

You have to keep track at least to the extent that no matter what
system you are using you have to remember how it works and you have to
remember what it is about the image you are looking for that enabled
you to place (and hence to later find) it in the system you have
created.

Savageduck (and some others) use folders based on date. That works for
them but would almost totally useless for me. Once a year or two has
gone I wouldn't have a clue about when I took it. But I do remember
the content of all my images (or the groups of images) and file them
on that basis. I don't generally bother to change the file names. This
practice predates my use of any 'asset manager' and I have no trouble
finding any photograph I want.

I can see the advantage of an asset manager but I find the need to
hang key words on individual images to be a pain in the neck that I
can do without. "Let the computer do the work" says nospam. That's all
very well but no matter what system you use you too will have to do a
substantial part of the work required to enable the computer to do the
work for you. Asset managers are not the totally magic bullet that
some would have them be.

Eric Stevens
Old July 30th 15, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 13:58:44 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2015-07-29 11:04, Stephen G. Giannoni wrote:
What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

Terminal command in OS X or Linux, I s'pect. Possibly in Windows.

This requires pretty good skills with string manipulation in the command
line. Not common these days. (It would take me an hour to get there
again - been too long).

I find the Windows file rename to be inflexible and limited.

Eric Stevens
Old July 30th 15, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 15:13:08 -0400, nospam

Savageduck wrote:

This requires pretty good skills with string manipulation in the command
line. Not common these days. (It would take me an hour to get there
again - been too long).

Probably longer for me. I used to be able to decently do basics in Unix
caommand lkine. The operating principle is not all that much different
with DOS command lines. Both are fairly simple and quick. But I have
forgotten the syntax for conditional execution of cammands.

...and you would really have to be careful with regard to those typos
you are vulnerable to these days.

no ****. one minor typo and you could be looking at a complete
reinstall.

Bull****