Photo file rename by to date and time taken

Old July 31st 15, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default Photo file rename by to date and time taken

On 7/31/2015 2:23 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

You have contradicted yourself on many occassions.

no i haven't.

what's happened is that you have misunderstood what i said or twisted
things to what i didn't say and when it was cleared up you say it was a
contradiction.

You claim not to log conversations. Surely if you can remember the
above, you can remember admitting to being wrong. It happens so
infrequently, that occurance should be memorable.

--
PeterN
Old July 31st 15, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

You have contradicted yourself on many occassions.

no i haven't.

what's happened is that you have misunderstood what i said or twisted
things to what i didn't say and when it was cleared up you say it was a
contradiction.

You claim not to log conversations.

i didn't say that.

i said i don't keep a log of what i post.

a conversation would be via an online chat system such as irc, icb,
etc. or 1-1, such as instant messaging, texting etc. or even email.

this is yet another example of you twisting things into what was never
said.

Surely if you can remember the
above, you can remember admitting to being wrong. It happens so
infrequently, that occurance should be memorable.

it's happened, but i don't keep track of specific details.

what part of i don't log posts is not clear?

all of my posts (and yours) show up in google groups, so feel free to
search if you want.
Old August 1st 15, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 13:12:12 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 7/31/2015 10:45 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 09:43:26 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 7/31/2015 1:45 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Bill W
wrote:

I completely agree with all of your claims on this subject, but I also
completely agree with everyone who is disagreeing with you.

that makes no sense

Once more your onw words prove your keen sense of humor. (Or, is it hubris.)
Come to think of it, can one have a false sense of hubris? Tony Cooper
help me on this.

Well, you don't really have a "sense" of hubris be it true or false.
Hubris is excessive pride or self-confidence evidenced by the person
accused of hubris thinking that they are always right or the most
knowledgeable or competant. We sense hubris in others, not ourselves,
so nospam would never have a sense of hubris.

We do think nospam is guilty of hubris because even when he's wrong he
thinks he's right. He will, of course, say he's never wrong...and
that is evidence of hubris.

Cannot hubris also be exhibited, in an attempt to cover up feelings of
inadequacy?

Hubris was once defined to as 'Those who the gods would destroy, they
first make mad'.

Eric Stevens
Old August 1st 15, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

rOn Fri, 31 Jul 2015 09:30:24 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 7/31/2015 12:56 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 00:11:56 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 7/30/2015 8:23 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 18:21:09 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

What do you do, some years from now, when you have even more photos than
now, all carefully organized with AssetManager, and for whatever
reason, that program becomes no longer available for any platform you
then use?

All your "organization" is out the window, is what.

While, if you had named the files in some rational (to you) way, any
viable OS that could store them could easily display them in the way you
set up.

Your scenario might be a bit overwrought, and I definitely am a fan of
the forward march of technology, but I still agree with you. There are
a lot of very cruel posters here who look down on us Luddites who are
so careful that they believe in a bit of redundancy, but I do not care
for black boxes, and if I didn't write the software, in this case the
asset manager, it's a black box. I just went through a long couple of
weeks going through old computer files, many of which I could not open
without a lot of research.

then you have to stick with plain text and jpeg files.

that's *really* limiting and a *huge* price to pay for something that
might never occur.

It has already occurred to me.

I have a large number of Photopaint files which I can no longer open
in Windows.

I have a smaller number Paintshop Pro files which will be inaccessible
in the forseeable future.

IIRC you can save them as either PSD or TIFF files. I don't know if you
can create an action to do that.

I'm reluctant to that for a variety of reasons. No doubt I will have
to bite the bullet.

One of the prime rules for an IT manager is to have a workable exit plan
in place. That's not a dumb thing for a hobbyist to do.

I've got one. It's just that I haven't got around to implimenting it
yet.

Eric Stevens
Old August 1st 15, 12:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

I guess those gods never met Trump, Cheney, or nospam.

Savageduck

Old August 1st 15, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

because renaming files is never a good solution. in fact, it's not even
needed at all because the file name makes absolutely no difference
whatsoever.

It does to the person that wants it renamed. Sometimes you rename a file
just
so it lists the file in the order you want in the finder(Mac). Very useful
for slideshow too.

using finder to view files is a bad idea

Why, well on a PC is a bit more of a pain.

there's not a significant difference between finder and explorer.

and slide shows know which
order to show the images, *without* renaming anything.

How do they know ?

that information is part of the slide show.

I have about a dozen images that were in a slide show about 15 years ago.
A friend used me as a model and theme in a photshoot for college.
She lost them ages ago I got thenm back from my zip disc using my old G3
a couple of years ago.
So hopw would a slide show know what order to put them in ?

easily.

Maybe the best option is to leave all photos untilled so they can be
easily
found

asset managers don't give a **** what the files are called. they keep
track of stuff so you don't have to.

and when your transfering those file sto a person that hasn;t got an asset manager....

they add it to theirs.
Old August 1st 15, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| It's not limiting if it's redundant, but yes, there is a price to pay,
| but not huge. I sometimes type a document into a basic text editor,
| and then paste that into Word, email, a web page, etc. In this case,
| it's not to protect the original document, but I do end up with a copy
| I can open with anything.

I actually save most text as plain text. It's
not so much a backup issue, although that
*is* an issue. It's just that DOCs, PDFs and
HTML are very inefficient when all I need is the
text. Someone sends me an 80 KB Word DOC
that requires a gigantic program to open. But all
I care about is 3 KB of plain text. I don't need
Word formatting to read that text. PDFs are
awkward to read. Saved HTML files can have
a lot of external file dependencies.

what's awkward about a pdf? it's an industry standard format.

I think the general issue here is not about
Luddites and futurists, but rather about the
mainstreaming of computerization. Few people
are comfortable with the kind of structured
thinking required to actually use a file system
efficiently. Increasingly, the system is becoming
further abstracted. That's easier for many people.

that's all a good thing.

people don't need to know that ****.

Yesterday saw the release of Windows 10 -- a
big step toward ending software as an item at
all. Most people want convenience and have no
understanding at all of privacy and security issues.
They want to do their computing with a remote
control on a TV set, so that's where things are
headed.

nonsense.

Yesterday I was overhearing someone with his
tech support person, trying to figure out which
of his Picasa photos was on Dropbox and how to
access them. A few years ago that man would have
had to have learned how to use a computer properly
in order to store his photos. Today he can store
them while having no idea where they are. That's
what tech support is for.

all he needs to know is how to access the photos he wants to see and
that they are backed up.

where they're stored and what file names they have makes no difference
other than fees for cloud storage and/or bandwidth to download.

people upload images to facebook and put them into albums of various
events. it's easy to find whatever they want. internally, facebook
names the images with their user id and unique id. the person uploading
doesn't care. they just click on the album.

I also know a professional art photographer who's
Mac hard disk crashed and she actually had no
backup of her professional work! Luckily she was
able to get the data back, albeit for a couple
thousand dollars.

so what? there are always idiots.

i know a professional photographer who lost thousands of negatives in a
fire some years ago. unlike digital, there was no getting them back.

So who's right? To me the people using file
organizers like Picasa are the Luddites. They don't
understand how to use a computer. But it works for
them.

they understand how to use a computer much more than you ever will.
you're very stuck in the past with no interest in learning new things.

they get actual work done rather than worry about what goes on inside.
none of that matters except to those designing hardware or writing
software. end users do *not* need to know.

do you need to know mechanics and thermodynamics to be able to drive a
car to the store? do you need to know how to rebuild engines? of course
not.

And that professional art photographer is
very wealthy. I expect she's probably still not
doing backup. For her, $2,000 is a small price
to pay for the luxury of never thinking about
technical details, DVD backup, external drives,
etc.

dvds are not backups, especially for a photographer who generates a lot
of images.
Old August 1st 15, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

I completely agree with all of your claims on this subject, but I also
completely agree with everyone who is disagreeing with you.

that makes no sense

You are indisputably correct in a high pressure environment where
every wasted minute can have serious consequences.

i'm not talking high pressure environments.

On the other hand,
someone who takes a group of photos every 3 years is not going to
benefit much from learning asset manager software,

what's to learn? it's easier than mucking with file and folders.

on the other hand, if they only take a few photos every 3 years they
don't really need a camera.

and if you don't
learn how to use it, that then becomes a waste of time when you fumble
around trying to find your photos. It takes me about 2 seconds to
rename a batch of photos, but it would take anyone days to learn how
to correctly use asset manager software to its full capabilities.

nonsense. it might take a few minutes to learn.

One
size rarely fits all.

that part is true.
Old August 1st 15, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

If I use a command such as DEL *.*, there would be some issues. But that
would not by any rational definition, be a "minor typo."

Accidentally renaming system files, or any critical files, could
result from a minor typo. I've made plenty of catastrophic errors with
computers, but I was lucky enough to always be able to fix them. It
was an obsession to never have to do a reinstall with Windows.

Or playing with the registry, as I did, once. That one needed a complete
reinstall. (Note I only did that one once.)

no backups?
Old August 1st 15, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/31/2015 8:47 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Bill W
wrote:

I completely agree with all of your claims on this subject, but I also
completely agree with everyone who is disagreeing with you.

that makes no sense

You are indisputably correct in a high pressure environment where
every wasted minute can have serious consequences.

i'm not talking high pressure environments.

On the other hand,
someone who takes a group of photos every 3 years is not going to
benefit much from learning asset manager software,

what's to learn? it's easier than mucking with file and folders.

on the other hand, if they only take a few photos every 3 years they
don't really need a camera.

How many photos must one take in a year to "really need a camera?"

It's much too easy to find your assinine statements.

--
PeterN