A truly HORRIFIC tsunami picture

Old January 4th 05, 04:48 PM
Fletis Humplebacker

"William Graham"

"Fletis Humplebacker"
I was in the Coast Guard and learned to appreciate the power of the
ocean many times. One notable example was a tanker snapped in
half, the whole bow sank but the crew was able to go aft and close the
compartments down so it floated until the chopper arrived. Other times it
was the most peaceful place on earth.

We were near the equator in the Southwest Pacific ocean one day, and the sea
was like a sheet of glass.....Just like a small lake in the morning after a
windless night. I could see our wake stretching out for miles behind us. I
have never seen it that calm before or since, and I have talked to many
people who said that that was impossible, but I couldn't prove it, so there
was nothing I could say....

We went to Jamaica once (drug patrol) and I saw the ocean
like that on more than one occasion.

Old January 4th 05, 05:14 PM
TCS

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:43:40 -0800, Mark² mjmorgan@cox wrote:

How would you expect a revelation of far-future events to be described by
someone in his historically early day?

Name a single prediction written before the events to be predicted
occured.

20-20 hindsight is easy and the bible has been used over the centuries
to "predict" things that have already occured but the bible has
never once truly predicted anything.

Old January 4th 05, 06:40 PM
Roland Karlsson

"Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in

If there is one/two/many god(s) then no one can tell
you what is the correct behaviour - so, it does
not really matter what you do.

If there is only one God, and that God seeks to know men, then your
line wouldn't be correct.
I think one should be open to the possibility of the existence of
ultimate truth (truth that is not relative to this or that).
If you're not open to the possibility of ultimate truth of any kind,
then you'll never find the one God (if a God exists as the one and
only God).

Maybe I was not clear enough. I am _very_ serious when I say
that I belive that all religons are way off when it comes
to understanding anything at all about any God(s) at all.

And if they are way off - they cannot have any valid information
about any behaviour that would be to prefere over any
other behaviour.

So
- if there is no God - there are no rules.
- if there is a God - we have not a clue about its rules,
or even if there are any rules to follow.
- if there are more than one God - we may be in trouble.
Even if we get to know one God's rules we don't know if it is
wise to follow them. We may get punishaed by another one.

So,
- there are no rules that we know of that we shall follow.
All rules are man made.

But,
- man made rules are neccessary to build any society. Therefore,
it is good to follow those rules. And to me - it feels better
to follow the rules without any faked religous motivation.

Moreover. There has happened almost nothing during the last
2000 years that strengthens the word in the Bible. It has
been very quiet for lots of years. No burning bushes. No
words from God. No prophets. No heavenly wagons in the sky.
Where are all the angels and other stuff? Nothing at all.

Moreover. Although large parts of the world was populated when
it all happened, all those stories is about a small region.
This allknowing God seems to be rather concentrated to just
some few people, and this some thousand years ago.

That people still are using this highly unlikely story
as a religion - that is the miracle.

/Roland

Old January 4th 05, 07:10 PM
Roland Karlsson

"Mike" wrote in :

I saw a figure of 29 km/h, which seemed pretty plausible.

I dunno.... From this clip it looked at least that fast, and probably
closer to 50km/h:
http://wizbangblog.com/archives/004651.php

Note the time it takes (less than a second!) from when it first hits
the beach to when it reaches the videographer. Amazingly fast.

I think it may vary greatly. The breaking wave is also much faster than
the water that follows. If you are floating far behind where the
wave is breaking it might be a rather slow ride.

/Roland

Old January 4th 05, 08:37 PM
Roland Karlsson

"William Graham" wrote in

PS. Psychopat test query

A psychopat women and her sister went to their mothers funeral.
At the funeral there was a man that the psychopat woman thought
was very interesting. Someone she never has seen before. Shortly
after the funeral the psychopat woman killed her sister. Why?

I believe that I have heard this one before, so my solution will not
be fair. (except that I can't remember the solution) - It had
something to do with a very mundane and dumb reason, as I
remember....Nothing that any rational person would kill one's own
sibling over.....Perhaps she just wanted to make some impression on
the strange man, or something like that.......Like he would see her
picture in the newspaper for murdering her own sister? - I forget the
exact reason, but it was rather dumb.......

So - you are not a psychopat Or at least - pretends not to be.

The solution is rather easy if you use logic.

It is possible that the interesting man will show up
at this funeral also.

To a psychopat deaths does not matter - only yourself do.

/Roland

Old January 4th 05, 08:55 PM
Fletis Humplebacker

"Roland Karlsson"
"Mark²"

If there is one/two/many god(s) then no one can tell
you what is the correct behaviour - so, it does
not really matter what you do.

If there is only one God, and that God seeks to know men, then your
line wouldn't be correct.
I think one should be open to the possibility of the existence of
ultimate truth (truth that is not relative to this or that).
If you're not open to the possibility of ultimate truth of any kind,
then you'll never find the one God (if a God exists as the one and
only God).

Maybe I was not clear enough. I am _very_ serious when I say
that I belive that all religons are way off when it comes
to understanding anything at all about any God(s) at all.

And if they are way off - they cannot have any valid information
about any behaviour that would be to prefere over any
other behaviour.

They probably all have at least some truths otherwise no one
would buy into it.

So
- if there is no God - there are no rules.
- if there is a God - we have not a clue about its rules,

You mean you, not we. We have the freedom to search and
freedom to believe. At least free societies do.

or even if there are any rules to follow.
- if there are more than one God - we may be in trouble.
Even if we get to know one God's rules we don't know if it is
wise to follow them. We may get punishaed by another one.

That wouldn't make much sense.

So,
- there are no rules that we know of that we shall follow.
All rules are man made.

But,
- man made rules are neccessary to build any society. Therefore,
it is good to follow those rules. And to me - it feels better
to follow the rules without any faked religous motivation.

Yes, if you have to fake it.

Moreover. There has happened almost nothing during the last
2000 years that strengthens the word in the Bible.

I don't see how you can say that. Look at the state of Israel for
example. What were the odds that prediction would come true?
When has that happened before? You can say it was luck but it
isn't reasonable to say there's nothing to consider.

It has
been very quiet for lots of years. No burning bushes. No
words from God. No prophets. No heavenly wagons in the sky.
Where are all the angels and other stuff? Nothing at all.

Not since it was all fulfilled, no. What would the purpose be today?
If God sent angels many today would say they're aliens. Any
manifestation could be explained away with a creative mind.

Moreover. Although large parts of the world was populated when
it all happened, all those stories is about a small region.
This allknowing God seems to be rather concentrated to just
some few people, and this some thousand years ago.

Yes, for a reason. You should read it sometime.

That people still are using this highly unlikely story
as a religion - that is the miracle.

/Roland

One man's meat is another man's poison.