ebay scam

Old March 6th 04, 10:44 PM
Boo

Default ebay scam

There's an ebay scam going around. Notice the impecable English.

eBay Notification

Dear eBay User,

Because of the repeated tryes of viruses and hackers attacks on our auctions
website, the ebay technic staff have developed a special security program
for the your eBay accounts.
For starting this procedures please proceed with folowing the next steps:
1. Please complete the next form:

signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&ssPageName=h:h:sin:eBayproble ms

2. Do not acces your eBay account until you will not receive instructions
from the eBay technic staff.
3. Because we have a lot of eBay accounts and informations to process, you
can receive the informations from eBay staff for completing the securising
program in maximum 5 days.
4. Acces your eBay account only after you receive the informations for
making the securising procedures.
5. Not respecting the upper instructions can get to the suspension of your
account. eBay Incorporated can not take any responsability for this
repercurssions.

As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you
information about site changes and enhancements.
Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Regards,

Safeharbor Department

eBay, Inc.

--
How Dubya stole the election: http://www.ericblumrich.com/gta.html

Old March 7th 04, 12:52 AM
Quartz

why is it...I can almost see Osama Bin Laden sitting in a cave, with a cell
link hookup, typing that, smirking the whole time?

s.com...

Old March 7th 04, 03:40 AM
Peter

Has anyone gotten many cryptic ebay questions from non-existent
buyers? I get quite a few of these, and the auctions referenced are
also non-existant. Seems like an email address harvester relying on
people's willingness to respond to an apparently mis-directed email.
Pete
Old March 7th 04, 10:45 AM
brian

"Boo" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

WOW , its almost word perfect pigeon english, it MUST be from ebay, LOL, but
seriously, this is an example of a easily identifyable scam , I have seen
similar but more believable, and not just from ebay, from nat west, lloyds
tsb, barclays bank, etc, etc.............
Rule of thumb is that no legitimate site will ever send anything that asks
you to login and check or change your details, never use a link from
anything like this either, if your not sure if its real , then it probably
isnt, there are also e-mails that give a link address which is actually a
link to a virus. Never follow a link from an e-mail, if your not sure of the
sender, use your bookmark links or find the real site address, the addresses
can even look authentic, but there will be a slight difference in spelling
or wording.
And report every e-mail to the relevant company, they will deal with it from
there.

Beware.

Brian....................

---

Old March 7th 04, 10:48 AM
brian

"Peter" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone gotten many cryptic ebay questions from non-existent
buyers? I get quite a few of these, and the auctions referenced are
also non-existant. Seems like an email address harvester relying on
people's willingness to respond to an apparently mis-directed email.
Pete

I have had a few, if the subject doesnt match anything im selling or buyimg
I delete it, alwayts check the "to" line as it rarely has your actual email
address or name in it.

Brian...........................

---

Old March 7th 04, 08:11 PM
douglas pratt

i buy and sell some expensive stuff on ebay, and when you get into the
thousands or even tens of thousands of $$$$$$$, i've got open solicitations
to buy stolen merchandise, and encountered the "too good to be true"
scenario, which it nearly always is. when in doubt, use online escrow and
pay by plastic. paypal is good for transactions under $1000. i've made
countless purchases from $2000-$5000, a few from $5000-$10,000, and a couple
over that amount. a few years ago i was shopping for a plane, but always got
outbid. my finances have gone down since then, but i still occasionally bid
on items like antique music boxes, esoteric audio/video equipment, and fine
art that gets up there. when fraud pops up, i report it to ebay and let them
handle it-- offers of stolen property go to the FBI, or interpol if the
seller is overseas. if you're careful and do your homework, you can avoid
geting ripped off. good luck with it---
"brian" wrote in message

s.com...

Old March 7th 04, 10:00 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 3/6/2004 1:44 PM Boo spake thus:

There's an ebay scam going around. Notice the impecable English.

eBay Notification

Dear eBay User,

Because of the repeated tryes of viruses and hackers attacks on our auctions
website, the ebay technic staff have developed a special security program
for the your eBay accounts.
For starting this procedures please proceed with folowing the next steps:
1. Please complete the next form:

signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&ssPageName=h:h:sin:eBayproble ms

[snip]

This is obviously a scam. But a technical question, please: how does this
work? The URI given is at a bona fide eBay domain (ebay.com); so how could the
scammers possibly make this work? Have they hijacked the server and planted
one of their scripts on it? Please explain. (I didn't try it, by the way. The
page that appears looks just like the authentic eBay signin page.)

--
The Bush administration should restrain itself from its imperial arrogance
that has so alienated countries around the world. Their contempt for the

- Excerpt from TransAfrica statement on the situation in Haiti, 2/17/04
(http://www.transafricaforum.org/)

Old March 7th 04, 11:44 PM
Angelo Castellano posting

Old March 8th 04, 12:09 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 3/7/2004 2:44 PM Angelo Castellano posting spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl"

snip

This is obviously a scam. But a technical question, please: how does this
work? The URI given is at a bona fide eBay domain (ebay.com);

There are 3 general ways.
One is when the link appears in the email and seems to show it is from ebay.
But its properties is another site. You can tell by looking at the source of
the email or holding your mouse over the link.

No, because in this case the poster (here) had the link in the text of his
message. (It's
signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&ssPageName=h:h:sin:eBayproble ms

A second way is to have something that looks like an official ebay site. Such
as *ebay.com where * is anything that seems real.

Well, in this case, it was signin.ebay.com/ ... But no matter what they put
before the domain name, this still goes to eBay's servers, doesn't it? I'm
pretty sure it is, since when I sign in to the *real* eBay, it's through
signin.ebay.com.

A third way is to have what is called an obfruscated (sp?) link. This is done
by using hex addresses, %char in the link, using an email, or just making the
link direct somewhere else.

Still don't see how any of that would work if the URI points to a valid domain
(ebay.com) which the hackers have no control over.

Old March 8th 04, 01:48 AM
Angelo Castellano posting

"David Nebenzahl"
On 3/7/2004 2:44 PM Angelo Castellano posting spake thus:
"David Nebenzahl"

snip
No, because in this case the poster (here) had the link in the text of his
message. (It's
signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&ssPageName=h:h:sin:eBayproble ms

I just checked one of my spam messages that I deleted. On forwarding, it
showed what appears in the email, and not its property. ( I have text as
default )

A second way is to have something that looks like an official ebay site.
Such as *ebay.com where * is anything that seems real.

Well, in this case, it was signin.ebay.com/ ... But no matter what they put
before the domain name, this still goes to eBay's servers, doesn't it? I'm
pretty sure it is, since when I sign in to the *real* eBay, it's through
signin.ebay.com.

Again, you would have to check the properties. Also, by *ebay, I means
something like signinebay.com and not signin.ebay.com. How many people would
catch the difference?

A third way is to have what is called an obfruscated (sp?) link. This is
done by using hex addresses, %char in the link, using an email, or just
making the link direct somewhere else.

Still don't see how any of that would work if the URI points to a valid
domain (ebay.com) which the hackers have no control over.

I just checked the spam I mentioned above. The propeties on one of the links
was:

htxtdfrktp :/ /dgduwewty/www. 8989u9u . com/ sv/applepie. php

This is a very simply example. I have seem some links 3 lines long. ( I have
placed some blanks in the line to keep it as text and not a link )

PS. I get very few as I don't place my email in news posting or on web sites.

: "The only person sure of himself is the man who wishes to
: leave things as they are, and he dreams of an impossibility"
: -- George M. Wrong.
:
: Angelo Castellano emails - statsone@sympatico dot gov
: gov to be replaced with ca